I'm only playing for 6 months and want to buy a Taylor 310. smart or stupid?

Hi,

I have been playing since may this year and couldn't hit one chord before that. I bought a 100 euro Fender and am playing about average of an hour a day minimum. I am so into it that I am getting annoyed by the sound of this cheap guitar.

So I went out and actually fell in love with a Taylor 310 CE. The sound was just beautiful and it looked stunning. But, at 1600 euro it is a lot more expensive and my friends call me crazy. The say that good ones play too easy and therefor cheap ones are better learners. If you can play the cheap one nice you can play the expensive one beautiful. But on the other hand, why waist time on difficulty when you can make it easier on yourself.

What would you say, should you learn on a cheap one, or learn on a expensive one if money is not the object?

Am I crazy for wanting this guitar even If I know less then 10 songs and not even one perfectly yet? Or am I smart for wanting to learn on a proper guitar?

Greetz from a beginner.
try going to a different thread about it. the pit wont help you much.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Guitars are for suckers.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Oct 18, 2009,
I've been playing about 1 1/2 years and if I had the money I'd buy a Mesa Boogie Dual Recto over a car any day.

My friends say I'm nuts too, but if you love it enough, go for it.
if your serious and you like it, get it. No sense buying three guitars before you buy that one.
Quote by MaidenChina
if your serious and you like it, get it. No sense buying three guitars before you buy that one.

Nuff said.
this isnt a music forum
..wait a minute....
hold on...
nevermind |:
ALL OF MY CRAP SONGS/IDEAS

Quote by God
LOLjk guise, im not real.

Quote by JDbbx
I don't want to go into detail but it involves my girlfriend, a condom and 10 seconds.

If anyone sigs that I shall be most irritated
i bought a taylor 214ce and love it, used to play on a cheap guitar also. if i was you i would buy it if you like how it sounds and plays
stick with the cheap, then when you get good get something better
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
i have a taylor but before i got it i learned how to play on my cheap guitar thats been in my house for 15 years. they have great sound and if you love the guitar then i would buy it.
I'd say do it like this: start out on a crap one, buy a decent one if you like playing, save for the more expensive one on the side, because the decent one is gonna last you a while. you probably won't even notice the difference between a 500$ and 1200$ guitar at your stage yet.
cheap guitars are for suckers, not beginners. Get something that plays easy and sounds nice, no reason to ever play crap if you don't have to.
If money wasn't the subject, of course it would be better to have a good guitar instead of a starting one. But then:

1- It's not gonna be a lot easier. You're not gonna start shredding like a maniac just 'cause you've got a better guitar.

2- You'd need to buy a new amp to get a good tone. If you have a good guitar but a bad amp, probly you're not gonna get the tone you're looking for. But if you have the cash, go for it.

You could also try to spend some cash and buy a decent guitar and amp, like 400 euros each, or a bit more. You'd manage to get some nice sound too.

And, as said above, you must be sure if you're serious and if you know that you're gonna keep playing. If so, and if money isn't a big issue, go ahead, . But if you're not sure, you may be wasting your money for nothing.

PS: Next time, the electric guitar forum would be the most appropriate
Last edited by PnT at Oct 18, 2009,
Quote by PnT
If money wasn't the subject, of course it would be better to have a good guitar instead of a starting one. But then:

1- It's not gonna be a lot easier. You're not gonna start shredding like a maniac just 'cause you've got a better guitar.

2- You'd need to buy a new amp to get a good tone. If you have a good guitar but a bad amp, probly you're not gonna get the tone you're looking for. But if you have the cash, go for it.

You could also try to spend some cash and buy a decent guitar and amp, like 400 euros each, or a bit more. You'd manage to get some nice sound too.

And, as said above, you must be sure if you're serious and if you know that you're gonna keep playing. If so, and if money isn't a big issue, go ahead, . But if you're not sure, you may be wasting your money for nothing.

PS: Next time, the electric guitar forum would be the most appropriate

Pretty much a useless post because it's an acoustic lol
bad idea

get a 400 dollar (250 euro?) ibanez acoustic, those are good

unless you are rolling in money, in which case buy whatever the **** you want
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Quote by ep1kz
bad idea

get a 400 dollar (250 euro?) ibanez acoustic, those are good

unless you are rolling in money, in which case buy whatever the **** you want

well, and this. if you can afford it, by all means go crazy.
If you know you're going to keep playing guitar, you really like the Taylor, and you have the money to spare then just buy it.
I'd get something cheaper maybe.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
lets put it this way.

i don't have my license but i still would want a Lamborgini and i would buy one immediately if i could