Hello,
Im having some trouble with my RG120 Ibanez. I just replaced my broken high E string a week ago and is just now having a strange reaction to it. I guess it could be that my guitar is used to 9 gauge strings, and this was a 10 gauge string, it is holding up the bridge. The bridge is much higher than it should be, and I can tell that its affecting the strings. It easily gets out of tune, all the strings are going sharp. So I decided that I would mess around with the back of the body to see if tightening it or loosening it would help. I tightened it and loosened it, yet it stayed in this position. I tightened it as much as I could but it doesnt look any better. I need your help, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

PICTURES:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o292/killercosmo/382.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o292/killercosmo/379.jpg
how many springs do you have in the back? try taking one out.

or, try loosening the screws that hold the springs
I have two springs, I tried loosening it but its not doing much. Id rather not pull one out, would that really do anything?
Did you stretch the string in? As in, a lot? Strings are incredibly temperamental if they're not stretched in properly. The tension on a 10 gauge string is about 15 pounds, so take into consideration the forces involved and the changes.

Also, try adding another spring. Or go back to 9s.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunatly, it kills all of its pupils.
Don't take springs out in this situation, add springs!
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunatly, it kills all of its pupils.
You would want to add another spring, not take one out. Taking one out would make the problem much worse.
Because deep down, I know you want to:

My Youtube Channel

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
Is there that big of a difference between 9 gauge and 10 that it will pull up the bridge? My guitar teacher did it right in front of me, so Im sure he knows what he was doing.
Quote by NEX44
Is there that big of a difference between 9 gauge and 10 that it will pull up the bridge? My guitar teacher did it right in front of me, so Im sure he knows what he was doing.

if the bridge popped up then your answer is YES, there's a big enough difference to pop up the bridge.

if it popped up a lot then add a spring, if it popped up a wee bit, then try tightening the screws a little first.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Alright, well if changing one strings gauge popped it up, then I will switch back to 9 gauge. I think that would be much easier than adding a spring.
Quote by mashizz
how many springs do you have in the back? try taking one out.

or, try loosening the screws that hold the springs

I'm so sorry! I completely reversed the situation in my head, do opposite of what i said, just like everyone else said
haha its ok mashizz, i know what you meant.

Alright, I got a pack of DR 9 gauge strings. I replaced the high E, and it defenitely feels better, but the bridge has no reaction. I tried tightening it, but its pretty much as tight as it can get. I dont get whats still pulling it up that high. I was thinking of taking out all of the strings, or at least loosening them, so that it goes back into place. What do you guys think?
loosening strings doesnt work.

add a spring.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

why not? and why is it suddenly doing this? why cant it go back without adding a spring?
Quote by NEX44
why not? and why is it suddenly doing this? why cant it go back without adding a spring?

because the old springs lost their bounce?

if you detune the strings, the bridge will be flat but the guitar will be out of tune.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ugh that's a pain. I'm pretty sure the guitar came with an extra, I just need to find that little baggy it was in...