I was told 30 watts is going to be indistinguishable from 50 watts, which is nearly identical to 100 watts.

I know that the 50-100 is true, but is 30 watts just about as loud as 100 watts?

If my friend is using a 120 watt amp, will my 30 watt be able to compete with his in a gigging situation?
You'll be fine, especially if it's mic'd. Even if it's not, you'll be able to keep up

EDIT: Both of you have tubes right?
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Yes.

I just bought a Crate V33-H for it's Vox-like cleans, but my friend is buying a Peavey Ultra +.

So, both are tubes. Both are running through 4x12s.

The thing is, we will almost NEVER be miced.

If ever.

The independent venues around here other than one do not mic you, as we don't have sound guys. We rent rooms and use them as venues.
If you just bought it, maybe it's a little late to be asking for advice on whether it will be loud enough

EDIT: I think yes.
pandora.com for kick ass free radio.
Last edited by grind at Oct 18, 2009,
I just bought it, my friend has not bought his yet.

So he's contemplating on what to buy.

The Crate was cheep too.
Only paid $130. So I'm not worried about buying another head, I'm buying a JCM800 within the next couple months, but my amp doesn't come in until Thursday, and we're trying to find out what my friend should buy.
But this is important: the wattage of your amp (RMS or otherwise) is the electrical power of the amp. It doesn?t translate straight to sound volume. Most of the power of your amp is used to make heat, electricity and the magnetic fields in the transformers. Very little is used to make actual sound energy. To put this into perspective a 100W amp is ten times more powerful, electrically, than a 10W amp, but only twice as loud (as a rule of thumb).

You should be good
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Okay, so as I expected, the only noticeable difference is headroom, really? Just like with a 50 watt?
Quote by Crydius
The independent venues around here other than one do not mic you, as we don't have sound guys. We rent rooms and use them as venues.

You may have problems keeping your cleans clean, but a 30 watter is loud enough, certainly.
Quote by Flying Couch
You may have problems keeping your cleans clean, but a 30 watter is loud enough, certainly.

This. In addition, consider the fact that you will pretty much never be able to run the 120W amp at max volume anyways.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
This. In addition, consider the fact that you will pretty much never be able to run the 120W amp at max volume anyways.

I was imagining his 120 Watt amp around 6 or 7.

I was just hoping that would be around 7 or 8 for me, so it's not a gross classic rock sound when I'm trying to do cleans, as the Crate V33-H sounds disgusting distorted, so I'd be using a distortion pedal over it.