Yah, I have been playing for almost 4 years now, and as far as forming chords, or necessary notes I am fine on, and that is what my guitar teacher said, but its more rhythm that I need help with, what can I do to improve my rhythm guitar playing?
maybe learn to play drums? I didn't have much problem with my rhythm in the first place, but once I started drumming, I got a whole bunch of new ideas etc.

Either that or just listen to your favourite songs and play along.. can't go wrong with that.
Last edited by Ibbod0 at Oct 18, 2009,
When I listen to songs, I try and focus on drums as well just because its a great way to get rhythm out of a song, but I was looking more towards guitar exorcises
when it comes to rhythms ( i write guitars and vocals btw) i just sing or play anything that comes to mind, with no filter and record it. somtimes its good, somtimes its not, but eventually you get some cool material to work with and tweak
www.facebook.com/allbutimpossible

Live Arsenal

Guitars
ESP EC1000 FR
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
ESP H1000 Deluxe
Ibanez RG7321

Amp
Line 6 Valve HD 100 Head
Line 6 Spider Valve 412VS 412 Cab

Misc
Shure PGX14 Wireless
Korg DTR-1000
Is it your timing or your actual rhythm style that you feel you need to get better with?
Quote by Ibbod0
maybe learn to play drums? I didn't have much problem with my rhythm in the first place, but once I started drumming, I got a whole bunch of new ideas etc.

Either that or just listen to your favourite songs and play along.. can't go wrong with that.

Major "+1" for using the drums as an inspiration for guitar rhythm.

Here's something related that you can do. It's way too much fun to really be called an exercise. You will lose hours of your life and not even realize where they went once you really get going with this.

Ok, get a drum beat that you like memorized (just the bass and snare). Once you've done that hop on the guitar, and pick steady 16th notes on the open E string. Everywhere there is a bass drum in the aforementioned beat, give it a strong accent. Wherever there is a snare hit, give it a weak accent. Or vice versa.
Combined with the steady 16th notes you get a really interesting "rhythm within a rhythm" effect. And given the number of drum beats out there that are divisible by 16th notes, the possibilities are endless.

This can be quite tricky at first, but keep at it and you will develop an absolutely awesome sense of groove, and some killer control in your picking hand. And like I said, it's a lot of fun (and it's even better on the bass).

Other than that - the usual advice: metronome and always tap your foot, nod your head, shuffle your shoulders, etc, etc.

Hope this helps some.