First song I ever wrote. I really centered around the first riff; It's a D Phrygian Dominant riff with a really heavy feel, IMO.
Attachments:
Burning Black.zip
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The riffs you've got in there are actually pretty cool, and it was kinda fun to listen to for me, but if I've got any sense of what non-guitarists will hear when they listen to it, there's WAY too much repetition of the 4 or 5 riffs that the song revolves around. The solo was pretty cool, I guess, it didn't blow me away, but if you can actually play that, then my hat is off to you, because I could not.
I would say that it is most definitely worth working on and improving.
Do you have lyrics to go with it??
No lyrics, sorry. Instrumental at this point.

Also, the solos are possible for the most part for me. Sweep tapping is fun.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Pretty sweet guitar riffs, a bit repetitive in my opinion. But that might have stood out because there were no lyrics. I loved the harmonizing solo, but the end of the solo seemed a bit rough. I also liked how the drums matched up well with the guitar, and weren't just trailing off on their own the entire song, which tends to be the case usually. The only con i encountered was the repetition in riffs. Perhaps a small lead over the rhythm guitar throughout the song.

Crit my song?
If you could turn into a member of the opposite sex, would you make love to your former body? Think about that.
Quote by paradox_047
Pretty sweet guitar riffs, a bit repetitive in my opinion. But that might have stood out because there were no lyrics. I loved the harmonizing solo, but the end of the solo seemed a bit rough. I also liked how the drums matched up well with the guitar, and weren't just trailing off on their own the entire song, which tends to be the case usually. The only con i encountered was the repetition in riffs. Perhaps a small lead over the rhythm guitar throughout the song.

Crit my song?

Thanks for the suggestion-Crit coming up.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
had to listen to the midi sequence cuz GP was being lame.
Pretty sweet, albeit a bit repetitive without vocals. I liked the 3rd riff a lot.
Ditch the harmonics riff, put more solos into it and bang some vocals on the track.

There, you have your album's first single.
Cool ideas!!
But imo a little too repetitive.
Good solo, damn technical sh*t!! If you can play that then you're killer!! I can't play that sorta stuff... But again, somehow I didn't like the phrasing too much...It sounds like a lot of licks have been put together randomly...

Here's how I approach solos..Take a progression..HUM a tune IN YOUR HEAD and see what fits and what doesnt...this way you also end up thinking about how you are gonna CONNECT all those licks...that's what s important. I'm working very very hard to improve my own phrasing, so Work on smooth transitions between the licks in your solo. Otherwise damn neat!!

Drums go PERFECTLY with the song, fantastic work!!

Riffs are awesome also. Nice use of harmonies, without going into overkill mode. But like I said its a bit repetitive.

Overall, Good work!!
I can see myself listening to your album if you fixed the little that is mentioned by everyone in this thread, technical metal is THE SH*T

Crit my work, please?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1219917

EDIT: I just remembered: There's another method of phrasing called "Question and Answer Phrasing". There's a vid on youtube about it, check that out, that might help
Last edited by TubeAmp89 at Oct 23, 2009,
^Yeah, the riffs are being changed around.

Solos are a bit difficult to write, you know? I'll take a look at them.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Yeah man I know good solos are tough to compose. Still, give it your best shot, cuz given your technical level, I'm MORE THAN SURE you can come up with something really beautiful