After playing in drop D from playing in C# standard for a while, I've noticed that my playing doesn't sound as sloppy. Mainly because the strings aren't floppy.
In C# standard (and most tunings down from standard), the first four frets of every string sounds messed up. The first fret makes the same exact sound as the second fret (there is no difference what so ever), and frets 2, 3, and 4 make a sound as if you weren't holding the string down hard enough.
I was wondering, would bigger gauge strings fix all of these problems, or would I have to get my guitar set up for a specific tuning to keep the strings tight, and have the first four frets not sound messed up?
At the moment, I'm using Elixir: Super Lights, 10 gauges.

Thanks for any help. Let me know if you need more information.
A properly set up guitar should be fine in C# standard with .10's. However you should get heavier strings.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Well, I didn't want to have my guitar set up in one specific tuning. I change tunings a LOT. Would my guitar be fine in every tuning if I put on 11-12 gauges?
whats happening is tuned up its pulling on your neck more giving it more bow, when its tuned down you seem to be experiencing some fretting out issues (from the description) in your lower tuning try adjusting your truss rod looser by turning it to the left like a 1/4 turn at a time and check it in between each giving it a little time to adjust, if it doesnt seem to make a difference after afew turns then set it down and come back to it after awhile it might have taken some time to set.

it could also be your action is too low at your nut, or your frets aren't level if its not the truss rod. but also, generally your sound will be a bit more sloppy tuned father down like that, dimarzio makes pickups for low tunings to handle them better, and also you can go up in string gauge for the tension you need.
Quote by POWERMETAL!
whats happening is tuned up its pulling on your neck more giving it more bow, when its tuned down you seem to be experiencing some fretting out issues (from the description) in your lower tuning try adjusting your truss rod looser by turning it to the left like a 1/4 turn at a time and check it in between each giving it a little time to adjust, if it doesnt seem to make a difference after afew turns then set it down and come back to it after awhile it might have taken some time to set.

it could also be your action is too low at your nut, or your frets aren't level if its not the truss rod. but also, generally your sound will be a bit more sloppy tuned father down like that, dimarzio makes pickups for low tunings to handle them better, and also you can go up in string gauge for the tension you need.

If I use 11 gauges and have my guitar setup for standard tuning, would that make everything perfect for every tuning? Would the tension be too tight if it was in standard or anything?
I use .013-.056 in every tuning, and its fine. 11's should be fine unless you want to go below C, in which case I'd go a guage higher.
Quote by Baby Joel
I use .013-.056 in every tuning, and its fine. 11's should be fine unless you want to go below C, in which case I'd go a guage higher.

I was looking at these: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ernie-Ball-2626-Nickel-Not-Even-Slinky-Drop-Tune-Strings?sku=100870

I want to be able to play everything from standard, to Drop B. Would the tension be perfect in every tuning with those strings?
Quote by Baby Joel
Yeah, those will do a great job.

Awesome. Thank you so much.