What do you guys do to protect your ears? Ears are a valuable part of being a musician, and it is a technique too, to protect your ears. I have Tinnitus now, it is too late to reverse the effects, but I can reduce further damage. Any insight guys?
I heard that Paul Gilbert is deaf in one ear from loud playing, which is why he wears those giant headphones.
I don't wear earplugs, so far so good, but I keep my head away from the monitors and avoid the symbols as they hurt my ears the most. We don't have it too loud on stage, I think ipods damage your ears more if you play them too loud.
I don't but I should given the amount of sonic bombast we use (800 Watt bass amp on five, Bugera 333XL full stack on 3-5 on all three channels with the master on 10, and a huge drum rig).

We're louder at rehearsals than at concerts, because our drummer whittles down his rig, and our bassist uses less amp by request of the sound-guy, and I always turn down to what the room needs so I never have trouble.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
use ear plugs, there are musician's earplugs designed to not muffle certain frequencies more than others. I've got a pair of Hearos and they sound great, they don't sound muffled at all like regular earplugs.

also, don't use earbuds for extended periods of time. even when you don't have it turned up loud earbuds will cause damage after prolonged use.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
use ear plugs, there are musician's earplugs designed to not muffle certain frequencies more than others. I've got a pair of Hearos and they sound great, they don't sound muffled at all like regular earplugs.

also, don't use earbuds for extended periods of time. even when you don't have it turned up loud earbuds will cause damage after prolonged use.

Elaborate.
Quote by The4thHorsemen

This is a myth. As for regular "iPod style" earbuds, the reason they cause damage is because most people do listen to them at high volumes. That is completely their fault. In-ears, or IEMs, on the other hand, are less likely to cause damage because the sound isolating design allows the listener to hear his or her music better under a lower sound pressure level, resulting in safer listening.
I use ear plugs at gigs, rehearsals and when I have my amp turned up a lot at home... in theory I guess I should use them when I'm going to watch a show as well but I don't, partially because I'm worried about losing them.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
1st i turn my amp up to 10, then i rock out, then i stop playing, my ears are buzzing and i wish i was smart enough to put in earplugs
Right now I use "Sonic II" hearing protectors from North Safety Products.

In 30+ years I have never played, worked or attended a show without hearing protection.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I use ear plugs at gigs, rehearsals and when I have my amp turned up a lot at home... in theory I guess I should use them when I'm going to watch a show as well but I don't, partially because I'm worried about losing them.

I think losing your hearing is worse than losing your earplugs.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
like most users said above i use earplugs when in band rehearsal and on concerts

i do sometimes get weird looks at concerts but i'm not the one with ringing ears afterwards :P

at home i don't usually turn my amp up that loud for earplugs to be necessary
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
I started playing guitar 1 year ago and now i've lost 20% of right ear hearing and 7% of left ear hearing. Maybe I have to stop playing?
Quote by HELLBARD
I started playing guitar 1 year ago and now i've lost 20% of right ear hearing and 7% of left ear hearing. Maybe I have to stop playing?

No, just play quietly.
I use Hearos earplugs. Because regular earplugs block out too much treble and mids making it hard from me to hear myself. These lower the volume you hear overall by like 12db.

Edit: They're called Hearos High Fidelity Ear Filters. Kinda expensive for earplugs at like $15.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Last edited by Bertallica at Oct 22, 2009,
Quote by leephan
I heard that Paul Gilbert is deaf in one ear from loud playing, which is why he wears those giant headphones.
He has tinnitus; not deaf. I have the exact same thing.

I use Elacin ER-20 ear protectors.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by ChrisN
I use Elacin ER-20 ear protectors.
Me too except I've got the baby blue ones cos I've got little girly ears. I use them whenever I go to gigs as well as for playing. I'm love music - and I don't intend to lose the ability to listen to it by trashing my hearing
Quote by zhilla
I've got little girly ears.
Lol!
I use them the same way though.

Additionally, I've actually seen some clubs around here handing out those little foam ear protectors on the door; quite impressed!
404: Sig not found.