... and I was looking for some decent songs to get me acquainted with it. I know Dead or Alive, but really I can only play it so many times before getting bored. Just looking for some suggestions.
I'm not entirely sure, but I think Fade to Black by Metallica is played with a 12 string. Also, I think some of their other acoustic songs (which I can't think of right now, sorry) are played on a 12 string. I think Battery may be played on a 12 string? And maybe Fight Fire with Fire's intro.
Yeah I'm just going off of a tablature book my guitar teacher has. It says it's a 12 string acoustic with nylon strings. But it was wrong about a lot of other things so...
R.I.P. Paul Gray 04/08/72 - 05/24/10
Only the good die young...
The music may have died but the memories will live on in our hearts forever...
I'm gonna miss you Paul... Maggot for Life...
I would but I've only been playing for about 11 months so I'm not that good with listening, even to simpler stuff like that =p
R.I.P. Paul Gray 04/08/72 - 05/24/10
Only the good die young...
The music may have died but the memories will live on in our hearts forever...
I'm gonna miss you Paul... Maggot for Life...
Try some Boston songs. More than a Feeling, Peace of Mind, Hitch a Ride.
Also, Closer to the Heart by Rush was also played in a 12 string to my knowledge
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
Quote by LordBishek
My son, go out and get yourself a John Butler Trio album and never look back.

QFT!
How's no one said Mama I'm Coming Home?

The intro is a 12 string
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Some Pink Floyd stuff has 12 string acoustic but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the song I'm thinking of. If you have a friend who can play the 6 string part and another who can play bass try Hard Luck Woman by Kiss. Very good 12 string part in that song.

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
Queen- '39
Queen- Long Away
Queen- Teo Torriatte
Queen- Love of my Life

Sadly at the time I can only suggest Queen songs
Quote by obeythepenguin
"Wish You Were Here"? The intro is on a 12-string, although the main verses sound like a 6.

Or if you'd rather the real Pink Floyd, "Flaming" from Piper at the Gates of Dawn is even better.

This, except I'm not as big of a fan of The Piper at the Gates of Dawn as he is
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Triumph has a lot lot lot of songs with a twelve string, and a lot of Tom Petty songs have 12 strings layered in
Why does everyone want to learn "songs for 12-strings" or "songs for 6-strings" on acoustic guitar, a 12-String can be used in alot of songs that use normal 6-strings are used for. And alot of times the effects are nice because of the shimmer chorus quality a 12-string has.

/rant
Some of the early Stones repertoir includes twelve string guitar probably because Brian Jones (and Keith and Mick) were at least peripherally aware of Huddie "Leadbelly" Ledbetter the so called "King of the Twelve String Guitar" who was a Delta bluesman. You can adapt early blues like "Love in Vain" and certainly Robert Johnson's blues songs for an enhanced rendition on 12 string as vocal accompaniment without retuning to the open tuning of the original records. It's actually a pretty good exercise doing the transcriptions and gives you a different take on what are pretty stark stripped down original arrangements.
heart - crazy on you! best use of a 12 ever!
Now thats the ugliest damn bong I've ever seen!
id lov to get a 12 string but i dont want to tune all 12 strings. But all songs sound good with a 12 string
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Quote by obeythepenguin
^ I don't know about Johnson, but didn't Lead Belly tune to approximately C-standard?

Yes, he did. I meant transcribing the open tunings Robert Johnson used. Interestingly Leadbelly often tuned the G strings (like the B and high E) in unison instead of in octave. I personally prefer the G strings in octave.
Some ideas. Sure, you play anything on 12-string. So a lot of Iron & Wine suits well.
Blues can be awesome on a 12.
And for the Tull fans, Moths. (Dare ya)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Some ideas. Sure, you play anything on 12-string. So a lot of Iron & Wine suits well.
Blues can be awesome on a 12.
And for the Tull fans, Moths. (Dare ya)

+1 Iron and Wine sounds beautiful on 12-string.