This is my first attempt at creating a song with Apple's GarageBand, so it took me a long ass time and it's not perfect. No, I'm not a 3Oh!3 fan haha, but this is a fun song to play.

This cover is all with my acoustic guitar (some garageband effects added over it) and my own vocals (also with some effects added on top) along with a garage band drum loop.

Let me know what you guys think, either on here or youtube.

Also, tell me what I can do to improve for future songs.

Thanks guys!

Youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlI2ClgJZRM
The acoustic loop works for a while but after a while it just sounds rather robotic. I think you need a few more versions of the loop so it doesn't feel like a loop. Its the very slight inconsistencies that make it sound more natural. The length and pressure and attack of the strum wont repeat like that exactly every time. You should turn up the vocals a little more during the distorted/autotune effect portions. It makes it sound like you are being a little drowned out.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Quote by Chaos Nil
The acoustic loop works for a while but after a while it just sounds rather robotic. I think you need a few more versions of the loop so it doesn't feel like a loop. Its the very slight inconsistencies that make it sound more natural. The length and pressure and attack of the strum wont repeat like that exactly every time. You should turn up the vocals a little more during the distorted/autotune effect portions. It makes it sound like you are being a little drowned out.

Hey thanks man. Yeah I agree with what you said about the acoustic part and it sounding robotic. When you talk about turning the vocals up on the distorted/autotune sections, are you talking about the chorus? I think you are, and I see what your saying there as well. Thanks for the input! You were helpful!
Quote by TheWaydown
Hey thanks man. Yeah I agree with what you said about the acoustic part and it sounding robotic. When you talk about turning the vocals up on the distorted/autotune sections, are you talking about the chorus? I think you are, and I see what your saying there as well. Thanks for the input! You were helpful!

It was more of the second verse. Sounds quieter than the first verse and especially when compared to the chorus sections.
Quote by a7xplayer
That was sweet man. Very good. I love this song. A guilty pleasure kinda. Hahah. Great job man.

Thanks man! I appreciate it! And it's just such a freaking catchy song, definitely a guilty pleasure for me too haha. No worries, I won't tell anyone.
Quote by Chaos Nil
It was more of the second verse. Sounds quieter than the first verse and especially when compared to the chorus sections.

Ooooh alright. After you said that, I listened to it and was trying to figure out how that happened because they should be the same volume. They are each on the same track as the first verse are, but I remembered that I messed with the microphone input volume at some point so thats probably where it was. Dammit! haha. Thanks man.
Last edited by TheWaydown at Oct 18, 2009,
Totally welcome. I used to work doing soundboard type stuff so I tend to be able to notice that stuff. Probably helped being an audiophile and all that listening to music. Sadly though I'm much better at listening to music than I am playing it. But yeah, don't take any of the criticism as saying your work isn't good at all. I just notice a lot of the smaller things that people probably wouldn't notice or mention.

On that note... During your verses where you have the sorta distorted PA type of effect, you have an effect that kinda clips the volume of your voice when it goes past a certain place. Kinda like a sine curve with the tops shaved off. Its a great effect and all, but when listening to it through my stereo is really lacks that sorta umph. Your voice just doesn't have any sort of ability to carry very well. I think you might be able to tweak the settings some to allow more in maybe the 12k range.

I'm noticing this because the chords your playing on the guitar cover parts of the range that your voice normally would be able to go. That means that when listening to your voice we are having part of that range being taken by the acoustic guitar. What does that end up meaning? It gets a little muddied. Now I really do honestly like that effect, but its just not carrying very well. Try listening to it and you might be able to see(hear) what I mean.