Page 1 of 5
so we are less then a week away from the release of windows 7

should i be excited?/are you? or is it better to keep vista until SP1 comes out?

jw what everyone is thinking. usually windows releases have big hype, but i havnt heard much talk about this one. probly cuz vista was a huge let down. so yah.

n contrary to my sig i actually did search this, and i didnt find anything.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
I want windows 7, or at least I want to go back to xp. I just heard that vista needs 1 full gig of my processor just to run.
Keeping it real since '92
I for one, love windows 7 and highly recoment it over vista. So far (had beta :P) it hasn't crashed, while my vista laptop (though i admit its a bit funky) crashes every 3-4 days. It doesn't take up as much RAM as vista does (at least from what i've seen) and it works better with the windows XP and Vista specific programs (certain games used to not want to work with vista- work now though). All in alll, i think you should be excited if you have to wait till release to get it :P
Its the sins you do that make us who we are, but we still go to hell for them.
I don't think it's that dramatic of an improvement from Vista. I never had a performance issue with Vista either. It just takes a little upkeeping. But OSX10.6 is still better than both.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Windows 7 is cool (had the RTM), but I went back to Vista because I couldn't get Amplitube working in 7 due to the ASIO drivers. It's not as good as people make it seem. I'd wait until the next Windows release.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I just want to get rid of Vista, just give me anything, I'll take it

*pic*

haha hilarious

Quote by Xiaoxi
I don't think it's that dramatic of an improvement from Vista. I never had a performance issue with Vista either. It just takes a little upkeeping. But OSX10.6 is still better than both.

i dunno wat osx10.6 is, im assuming mac? lets just keep the discussion regarding windows plz

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by CoreysMonster
honestly they'd sell more if they called the next windows XP2

Hell no. XP is a failed abortion.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Toolfan11
I want windows 7, or at least I want to go back to xp. I just heard that vista needs 1 full gig of my processor just to run.

That's for the Aero graphics (I think).
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

I'm pretty excited for it. I've tried out the beta a little bit and it's quite nice. I guess we'll see how the finished product is.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by CoreysMonster
compare to which Windows version?

Vista

Quote by Toolfan11

Haha sure....1 full gig of your CPU...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
hi guys, whats going on in this thread?

I have a mac! I have a mac! I have a mac! I have a mac! I have a mac! I have a mac! I have a mac!
Vista isn't nearly as bad as people say, only problem with me is that it takes a lot to run. I get Windows 7 for free.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by WastedxYears

I have a mac! I have a mac! I have a mac! I have a mac! I have a mac! I have a mac! I have a mac!

Well, I'd have to say tha-

brb, I have to continue playing CoD4
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by Xiaoxi
Vista

Haha sure....1 full gig of your CPU...

I've had nothing but problems with vista, but then again it may also be due to the computer as well. With XP, everything always worked fine. With Vista, half of my old games don't work, recording software is all buggy, and it really does take up alot of memory (compared to XP). I really don't see any advantages through Vista, other than it looks pretty.
Quote by Fat-bastard0603
Well, I'd have to say tha-

brb, I have to continue playing CoD4

i don't need my mac to play games =P

i got my xbox 360 hooked up to a home theater system with surround sound for that

EDIT: btw, they DO have a mac version of COD4
I don't know if I want to spend money on a new operating system. Is it simple to install a new OS on a laptop with vista? (simple meaning just stick the cd in and follow a few prompts). Will it delete all my files?
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
i've heard many great things about 7 already. but i just bought a new comp and will have 7 shipped to me for free so i dont have anything to worry about at all...

Quote by WastedxYears

i'm sorry man, im sure its not your fault...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Last edited by joshua029 at Oct 18, 2009,
Quote by WastedxYears

I'm sorry.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I've had nothing but problems with vista, but then again it may also be due to the computer as well. With XP, everything always worked fine. With Vista, half of my old games don't work, recording software is all buggy, and it really does take up alot of memory (compared to XP). I really don't see any advantages through Vista, other than it looks pretty.

Granted, Vista only works well on a decent machine. But it performs much better on a decent machine than XP. 3rd party software incompatibility is not Vista's fault, however you could argue that it's Microsoft's poor marketing and integration strategies to have 3rd party companies update to Vista. Vista's core services only puts in about 300-400MB more than XP.

Quote by breadstick
I don't know if I want to spend money on a new operating system. Is it simple to install a new OS on a laptop with vista? (simple meaning just stick the cd in and follow a few prompts). Will it delete all my files?

Yes, it's easy to install. You need to back up your documents first though. It's too bad Microsoft hasn't seen the light on Apple's Time Machine method of backing up yet, which would allow for a full restoration of user preferences, system settings, programs and documents in one click. Oh well, maybe in another 5 years they will finally catch up.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Oct 18, 2009,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Granted, Vista only works well on a decent machine. But it performs much better on a decent machine than XP. 3rd party software incompatibility is not Vista's fault, however you could argue that it's Microsoft's poor marketing and integration strategies to have 3rd party companies update to Vista. Vista's core services only puts in about 300-400MB more than XP.

300-400MB is a freaking lot, IMO. but you are right about the poor marketing on Microsoft's part, there was a definate lack of communication between companies there.
Quote by Toolfan11

I think you mean RAM..

Quote by im not mental
preordered it.

and since i'm in college i only had to pay $30 for it.

I just got it free through my uni a couple days ago (and yes, it's the final release version).

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Vista isn't nearly as bad as people say, only problem with me is that it takes a lot to run. I get Windows 7 for free.

Vista hate was just a bunch of bandwagonning really. It was just a case of a baby's first few steps happening to be right at the top of a long flight of stairs - it fell horribly and permanently maimed itself.

I've never had any serious issues with Vista, just a couple of tweaks to turn off UAC and things like that, and it worked just as well as any other windows version (aside from the driver issues which were more due to lazy driver makers than anything else). Most issues with windows are due to either user stupidity, or other programs having issues - NOT vista itself.

And as for it taking a lot to run.. 1 gig of ram might have been a lot when vista first came out (and it really wasn't.. 2 gigs was pretty standard then), but now, it's not uncommon to have 4 or more gigs of ram in your typical family desktop, so it's really no problem at all. In fact, most of the "resource hog" comments are due to a misunderstanding of vista's superfetch feature. It doesn't NEED all the ram it uses, it just uses all that ram to achieve better performance (as it requires less swapping). If ever any other programs needed that ram, it gladly gives it up.

Quote by breadstick

Pretty sure there's an upgrade option that will keep all your programs and stuff, though I'm not 100% certain as I just did a clean install anyways.

Quote by CoreysMonster
300-400MB is a freaking lot, IMO. but you are right about the poor marketing on Microsoft's part, there was a definate lack of communication between companies there.

Just an interesting anecdote on this : if anyone is ever looking for a good free anti-virus that works on 7, get Avast!. The devs actually flew halfway across the world to spend a week or so at redmond testing Avast! to make sure it's compatible with 7 and they will be getting a 7 compatible logo thing from it. I've got it now and it's working perfectly.
i have 4 gigs of ram and my cpu is clocked at 3.40 ghz so i have no problems with vista. I was gonna get 7 though because i heard it's faster yet...then again after hearing it has problems with ASIO and Amplitube maybe not...any W7 users use this stuff with no problems?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Can't wait to get rid of Vista.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
alot of peoples issues with vista stemmed from them running it on a system that wasnt meant to handle it. its a very, very heavy OS and takes alot to run properly. and alot of the issues people have with some of the services and such was a simple matter of turning it off. once you go through and turn off all the unnecessary crap that comes programmed into it, it works 100x better.

windows 7 is a less resource intensive as vista, and doesnt have all the outrageous services and background programs running all the time like vista does. im hopin they have ample copies of it on the shelves here next week.
We've got Windows 7 Enterprise installed on a machine in our computer lab, and I think I'm getting a (legal) copy from my teacher this week. From what I've used, it's like Vista, just improved, which is more than enough for me. Personally, I saw nothing wrong with Vista, and I've used it for over a year now. But 7 looks and feels awesome to me.
Quote by Revelation
i have 4 gigs of ram and my cpu is clocked at 3.40 ghz so i have no problems with vista. I was gonna get 7 though because i heard it's faster yet...then again after hearing it has problems with ASIO and Amplitube maybe not...any W7 users use this stuff with no problems?

Yeah id like to know the same, i have cakewalk sonar8 though, but similar kinda of software.

and there was no real asnwer to the other guy that asked, but will every program need to be reinstalled if i install windows 7? Or will it just update the OS without needing a complete reinstall of software?

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
I've never had any problems with Vista, so I don't need to update yet, but it might get all of the wannabe guitar tekkies to shut the f*ck up about Vista, and most of them probably never used it and just listen to rumors
I'm quite enjoying Vista actually...
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
Yeah id like to know the same, i have cakewalk sonar8 though, but similar kinda of software.

and there was no real asnwer to the other guy that asked, but will every program need to be reinstalled if i install windows 7? Or will it just update the OS without needing a complete reinstall of software?

Microsoft is claiming that it will be able to retain programs, files, and settings through a direct upgrade but I doubt it will be seamless. I bet it will work as well as the Windows system restore feature...which makes me cry.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 5