so its safe to assume that some of us are in bands, right? so where do you guys go to get your music pressed? i'm looking for cds if the title was any indication for ya.
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
ok i'll check that then
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
Quote by drugfreeboy
so its safe to assume that some of us are in bands, right? so where do you guys go to get your music pressed? i'm looking for cds if the title was any indication for ya.

We did somewhere in southern Germany, and it´s correct that people appreciate that more than when you do that yourself, though I think for punks it might be the other way round, since it costs a hell lot of money.
We just burn our stuff onto cd-rs.

We used to do the same.
Our drummer used to make the booklets and inlays for the CD cases as well, and print onto the CD. It kept costs down and they actually looked quite good.
We used to leave that to our drummer though after our guitarist said she'd make the CD's and produced to us CD's with cut out circles of paper with our tracks/band name printed on, stuck onto the discs with pritt stick!
Believe it or not, they never actually played!
let these flat chords just break your heart...
I mean myspace and purevolume mad it about 1000x easier to promote and circulate your diy shit. Its a incredibly valueable tool
when you ask for a gig in better pubs or apply for a festal or something etc. they throw your CD away when it´s just a CD-R. in punk it´s probably differently and if you only can use myspace then maybe also punk people don´t deal with your stuff.
When you have the money to spend on it, then I´d do that, but since it´s really expensive you should at least put it on CD-R´s and copy a good cover and a song list
I make them myself at home. I burn my stuff onto the discs and then copy and cut out the inserts. It doesn't look as professional as if I had gone to discmakers or something, but I'm a jobless 16 year old and I can't afford that shit. Plus, it's not like I'm playing 12 shows a month and selling ten cds at each or anything.
You can have companies do it, but to really make that financially worthwhile you have to get 1,000+ mininum units pressed. You have to pay a set price for the glass cutting master, or whatever f*ck they call it these days. So 500 copies might be, say, 650 dollars, but 1000 would only be 800.

On top of that the price fluctuates based on the packaging and artwork you pick. If you're a true punk rocker, like Justin Sane, and care about our beautiful mother earth and the lovely frolicking animals and wonderful people and trees and plants and fungi, you have to pay more to have the eco-friendly cardboard cd sleeves. Jewel cases on the other hand are relatively cheap.

In all honesty though, DIY is probably a good bet, especially if you're good at drawing with a sharpie and have a computer with multiple disc writing drives. I just realised that my computer has a rw and a standard drive, which ain't what I ordered. FML!
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Oct 19, 2009,
DIY all the way bro.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Quote by BrianApocalypse
You can have companies do it, but to really make that financially worthwhile you have to get 1,000+ mininum units pressed. You have to pay a set price for the glass cutting master, or whatever f*ck they call it these days. So 500 copies might be, say, 650 dollars, but 1000 would only be 800.

They always press 1000 of your CDs and sometimes when you order 500 they send you the rest 500 too and you just have to insert the cover and CDs to the slim case yourself, though you cannot rely on it.
We had to pay 717€ for 1000 copys and it would´ve been like 550€ for 500.

So I can only agree on what Brian said.
I steal CD-R's from the grocery store and then scam copies from my school. In America there's lots of good scams to get free tapes because alot of evangelical ministries give them out for free. I used to have one written down but I lost the name of it when I moved.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by whyvern
I steal CD-R's from the grocery store and then scam copies from my school. In America there's lots of good scams to get free tapes because alot of evangelical ministries give them out for free. I used to have one written down but I lost the name of it when I moved.

+1
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Quote by Rancid Ivy
DIY all the way bro.

Dude, Your status should be Hayley Williams' Stalker.

If you really were a stalker you'd know everything there was to know about your subject, especially being able to get their name right!

Quote by lavazza
They always press 1000 of your CDs and sometimes when you order 500 they send you the rest 500 too and you just have to insert the cover and CDs to the slim case yourself, though you cannot rely on it.

That I did not know.

The companies I've looked at usually throw in cellophane shrinkwrap for a negligible price, which I think adds a bit of coolness to the equation, so in that case they'd have to assemble everything prior.

Quote by whyvern
In America there's lots of good scams to get free tapes because alot of evangelical ministries give them out for free. I used to have one written down but I lost the name of it when I moved.

That's a really cool idea. It helps reclaim the tithe of days gone by, at least!
Quote by BrianApocalypse
That's a really cool idea. It helps reclaim the tithe of days gone by, at least!

Yeah if you get a decent tape dubbing machine (which should cost you less than 200 bucks US) you can make tapes faster than computers can burn CD's. Also try and get a job or hope that one of your friends has a job at a sign making place (Signs-By-Tomorrow is a good chain in the states that's really easy to get a job at), you'll have acess to all kinds of stickers that are easy to steal and you can print all kinds of really pro looking stuff for stickers to put on the tape. If not most major office supply chains in the US and the UK (kinko's, office depot/max, staples) are really easy to steal copies from their self-service copy machine and you can do alot if you steal the specialty paper from those stores.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!