what are some exercises to help open up your lungs?

I've been told a lot that I need to learn to sing from my lungs, I'm pretty good at matching notes with my voice, just I can't seem to sing from my lungs giving it that sound that singers should have. What are some exercises that will help me?

Edit: Or at least tell me what it means to open my lungs? Cause I keep looking for stuff and can't find anything on google.
Last edited by eltyr18 at Oct 18, 2009,
That's probably mistaken terminology. That's not at all what you want to do. If you imagine singing from your lungs, you're probably breathing inefficiently. You want to breathe from your diaphragm. But definitely trash that advice. The only thing you might want to be thinking about "opening" is your throat, but still, this shouldn't be a conscious effort.
Quote by Chaingarden
That's probably mistaken terminology. That's not at all what you want to do. If you imagine singing from your lungs, you're probably breathing inefficiently. You want to breathe from your diaphragm. But definitely trash that advice. The only thing you might want to be thinking about "opening" is your throat, but still, this shouldn't be a conscious effort.

oh okay, that makes sense. thank you