Page 1 of 2
Well i got my tube vypyr about a week ago. and just cranked it over a loud drummer today.

The feedback when tunred about 4 or 5 was unbearable, and i thought there was a built in noise gate, but i cant find anything on how to activate it.

i didnt really pay attention as to if it was a humming turning to feedback or jsut plain feedback. im fairly sure its not microphonic tubes.

In conclusion, does anyone know if it has one or what should i do? im quite broke right now and dont think i need a noise gate with it because apparently its soppsoed to have everything you need, therefore there is no effects loop.

Just for preference. My tone was pretty heavy. Scooped Mids, Redctifier setting with a boosted Tubescreamer, and high gain.

Thanks in advance
My Rig
------------------
Schecter Damien 6 (mod with 81/85 emg)
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Digitech RP250 (for Sale)
Last edited by Shpunt at Oct 19, 2009,
any help ?
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
I don't think that it was the amp itself. How close were you to the amp? Were you facing it? Was it on carpet or cement? Was there a lot of electronics near it? Did you try it with other outlets? Check all of these first. And noise gates eliminate hum, not feedback. The noise gate built into the Vypyr is constantly on.

EDIT:Also, you're not supposed to bump your own threads, especially after 15 minutes.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Oct 19, 2009,
well im using deactivators with the amp. and the amp was checked and everythings fine, there wasnt many electronics near it. a unplgged amp/ a turned off studio monitor,, and thats it, the floor was carpeted, and yup i tried it with other outlets. i was not facing the amp, and i was about 8-10 feet away from the amp,
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Either it's a tube, or you're probably gonna have to take it into a tech...

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Quote by Shpunt
well im using deactivators with the amp. and the amp was checked and everythings fine, there wasnt many electronics near it. a unplgged amp/ a turned off studio monitor,, and thats it, the floor was carpeted, and yup i tried it with other outlets. i was not facing the amp, and i was about 8-10 feet away from the amp,

What do you mean the amp was checked and everythings fine?

Was it checked using your guitar while you were present?
after i paid the deposit on it before i boguht it , the store tech made sure everything was in proper working order. and checked it all out
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
In order to diagnose something, people need to start out by asking better questions.

What did the feedback sound like? Hum, hiss or was the guitar feeding back through the amp?

A noise gate can fix most of those issues.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
it definetely wasnt humming. when i wasnt playing it goes to piercing feedback.

well when i was palying high notes you can sometimes hear the feedback but on the bassier notes you couldnt.

i jsut didnt think it needed one becasue it doesnt have a effects loops cause apparently it has jsut about "everything" you need builtin
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Maybe turn down your gain. The louder your amp, the less gain you'll need. Maybe it was just that little bit too much.
That sounds like you've created a feedback loop with your guitar.

You can test this theory by adjusting the gain knob on your amp. If you hear the feedback again turn your gain down (not your volume). If it no longer does it then your guitar is feeding back through the amp.

Basically what happens is that the volume is so loud that it's starting to vibrate the strings on your guitar which in turn is the pickup then sends to the amp and it gets louder and louder and louder etc.

A noise gate can usually stop this while it is quiet enough and before it gets out of hand.

If that still doesn't help then usually repositioning yourself away from the amp while your playing can help. (I have this issue when I play on stage with my setup).

If the amp is still doing it when you turn your gain down lower, then it's going to be something else causing it.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
but im soppsoed to put anoise gate in front of it? idk how i can afford it. also... would going wireless reduce my feedback?
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Yep, that definitely sounds like a feedback loop.

I would try to figure out how to turn on that noise gate.

A noise gate is an absolute MUST HAVE for playing high gain tones at high volume.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
In reading about the Vypyr online it sounds like there is a built in noise gate in the Vypyr but it is not adjustable.

If you plan on playing at high volumes, then I would definitely plan on picking one up.

If you're on a budget you can get a cheap one for around $20-$30. It may not be the greatest noise gate but it'll get you on a good start:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Reducer-Ultimate-Reduction-Effects/dp/B002EWV8IU
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
would it totally rape my tone? and will a wireless system reduce the feedback?
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Try playing it with a different guitar. There's always the chance of having microphonic pickups.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Most wireless systems you buy will destroy tone more then a noise gate. Even some of the really expensive ones. I can definitely see how much fun they would be to have, but given the price and how dangerous they can be, I wouldn't recommend one.

I usually gig at least once a week and some of the gigs I do have multiple bands. I've NEVER seen a band using wireless system for their guitars. We use a wireless in-ear monitor system but I cannot think of anyone that actually uses a wireless system for their instruments.

If you're REALLY picky about your tone you may notice a slight tone difference when playing with the gate. To be more specific, it's not really your tone that will change as much as the 'feel'. However, this is really only subtle and only really noticable if your noise gate is set aggressively. For this issue, you could probably set the gate at it's minimum setting and you'd be fine.

You'll hear alot of tone junkies complain about noise gates but I'm betting that you would not notice a difference.

Also, noise gates tend to be a bit more problematic when playing a lower gain settings. At a low gain setting the style is really dependent upon dynamics and noise gates can have an effect on that. However, at balls to the wall high gain, there are very little dynamics to be affected.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Last edited by theraven871 at Oct 19, 2009,
yeah my gain is set pretty high. sorta covering the Parkway Drive / As i Lay Dying / As Blood Runs Black tone range.

so im guessing a noise gate is a neccesity?

whats the most value i can get ? becasue im running really low on cash. and still need to pay off a few things
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
also my friend has a good wireless system he can sell me. but i doubt its worth it now that i read about it from you guys
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Disregard about 95% of the above advice (for now), it's almost certainly a microphonic tube.
Type that phrase in on google and there's plenty of detailed guides/forum posts to help you diagnose it.

It could also be microphonic pickup but as your main guitar has EMGs, I doubt it.

I sincerely doubt it's a 'feedback loop', or 'harmonic feedback' as it's sometimes known, as you'd have no problems at all controlling it - and it would only happen whilst standing in certain places/distances relative to the amp. If it's a very harsh, sudden feedback that is consistently at the same volume, something has almost certainly gone microphonic.
Incidentally, a noise gate is a waste of money when it comes to dealing with this type of feedback.

Also, theraven871, good post - although I've seen one or two famous artists who say they prefer the way a wireless system colours their tone!
Each to their own I think
my main gutiar has deactivators on it.

also my amp is completely new. and was checked by a certified tech.
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
i used to have a non-tube vypyr and the feedback it generated was horrible.

i think its just a thing with the vypyrs. they are prone to alot of feedback.
Quote by Shpunt
my main gutiar has deactivators on it.

also my amp is completely new. and was checked by a certified tech.

A tube can go at any time - the cause of microphonics is just tiny vibrations in metal component inside the tube. Have you tried with different guitars?
ive tried it with a c-1 7 string, and my ibanez xiphos.
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Quote by kyle62
Disregard about 95% of the above advice (for now), it's almost certainly a microphonic tube.
Type that phrase in on google and there's plenty of detailed guides/forum posts to help you diagnose it.

It could also be microphonic pickup but as your main guitar has EMGs, I doubt it.

I sincerely doubt it's a 'feedback loop', or 'harmonic feedback' as it's sometimes known, as you'd have no problems at all controlling it - and it would only happen whilst standing in certain places/distances relative to the amp. If it's a very harsh, sudden feedback that is consistently at the same volume, something has almost certainly gone microphonic.
Incidentally, a noise gate is a waste of money when it comes to dealing with this type of feedback.

Also, theraven871, good post - although I've seen one or two famous artists who say they prefer the way a wireless system colours their tone!
Each to their own I think

I'm getting a whole lot of mixed responses. and im fairly sure it isnt the tube.

Its probably the massive distortion?
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
no there is 4 power tubes and 2 preamp tubes dude.
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Quote by Shpunt
no there is 4 power tubes and 2 preamp tubes dude.

I'm pretty familiar with this amp. Dude.

musicians friend:

# 120W tube amp
# 1 - 12AX7 preamp and 4 - 6L6GC power tubes

The preamp tube is a phase inverter. That's it.
anyways ive tried out my friends Peavey Triple xxx and i see similar problems also, so im guessing its definetely the noise gate that i need.

I really doubt that its the tube.

i havent seen any signs of it becoming microphonic.
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I won't lie, I only read your original post. Exchange the unit.

once again... i had the amp inspected.

the original problem was i tohught there was a built in noise gate. and i play with heavy distortion. and obviously it would hum/feedback. i jsut wanted to know if there was a way to correct it without buying a noise gate.

the cleans sounded perfect and the less heavy tones didnt hum when i stood farther than 6feet form the amp
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Quote by Shpunt
once again... i had the amp inspected.

the original problem was i tohught there was a built in noise gate. and i play with heavy distortion. and obviously it would hum/feedback. i jsut wanted to know if there was a way to correct it without buying a noise gate.

the cleans sounded perfect and the less heavy tones didnt hum when i stood farther than 6feet form the amp

Your amp is almost certainly not microphonic in my opinion, OF COURSE he's going to have tons of feedback in a fairly small room with a hi-gain amp model dimed and a tubescreamer model through the front. I had the same problem with my Peavey Valveking at band practice: endless feedback that was pretty much uncontrollable unless I turned down the gain to classic rock levels. I got an iSP Decimator noise suppressor pedal and all was good (although I do have a bit of sustain cut-off because I have to turn it up so high). Its definitely the best accessory I've ever bought because it makes my amp use-able.
The built in noisegate doesn't do much because it is meant for cutting amp hum, not feedback. Putting noisegates/suppressors before the amp gets rid of feedback, putting them in the effects loop (or 'in the amp') cuts hum.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
finally! someone to make some sense to me !

that was exactly what i was trying to say. and im running low on cash. can you reccomend to me anything to help me out?
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
I have a MXR SmartGate, which is for sale, and I can tell you it does not gate or suppress feedback. If it did, I wouldn't sell it.

Your amp was checked out by the place you bought it from right? Did you watch them?
Have you taken it in there with your guitar to get it checked again?
Fine, don't check your preamp tube. Heck, that would be a waste of time.
Either turn the amp gain down or your guitar volume down, or do as TheEsupremacy suggested.

or buy my noise gate
Quote by Shpunt
finally! someone to make some sense to me !

that was exactly what i was trying to say. and im running low on cash. can you reccomend to me anything to help me out?

Well I mean no doubt, it wouldn't hurt to check the preamp tube, I'm not too familiar with the Vyper, but find the preamp tube, take that metal shield off (it should have one, you twist it then pull it off.)
While the amp is on and you can hear guitar through it, roll the guitar volume off and set it down. Grab a pencil and tap the preamp tube (remember, this is the smallest one) with the eraser. If you hear a considerable amount of noise she's microphonic.

Aside from that, you just gotta try to turn down the volume and gain even just a tad, turning your eq's down could help slightly. I'm sure turning off the tubescreamer will help quite a bit. It's definitely going to be a battle of balancing tone and feedback until you get a suppressor.

And go with either the Boss NS-2 (about $100) or the iSP Decimator ($135-ish). The Decimator destroys the Boss so try to save up for it if you can.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Last edited by Faux~Affliction at Oct 20, 2009,
Here's why I think it's the amount of gain + playing at high volume + small room.

Many players keep their settings for optimal tone at bedroom levels.
You have to set it at band practice level of volume, or else it's going to be unsuited for band practice.
Speakers don't open up unless there's a good amount of power running through them, and settings that may sound good at low volumes may sound bad. Many people run the bass higher to compensate for poor bass at low volumes, for example. But the low end of an amp will open up when you crank it.
Quote by Shpunt
anyways ive tried out my friends Peavey Triple xxx and i see similar problems also, so im guessing its definetely the noise gate that i need.

I really doubt that its the tube.

i havent seen any signs of it becoming microphonic.

Checking for microphonic guitars pups or preamp tubes is easy. Someone above me already told you how to check the tube. As for the pup, when you tap the body of the guitar, does a LOT of noise go through to the pup? Also, try using another guitar with the amp. If you used your guitar with your mates amp, that would be explained by a microphonic pup.

Otherwise, try:

Turning the amp down slightly,
Turning down the gain (it seems like you're using a massive amount),
Stand further away,
Roll off the guitar volume when not playing.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Well i checked. The Tube isnt microphonic.

and nope, pickups aren't microphonic. i checked 3 guitars with it.
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Page 1 of 2