I can go up and down the guitar decently, I know the modes, and I can sweep okay. The hardest song I can play is the first couple of solos from Hangar 18, but even then, I still can't get the second sweep fully, even though I have been practicing it for the past two months or so. I just feel like I'm not getting any better at all. Anyone want to give me a song or some tips to break this plateau?
Try something completely out of your style, try to work solely on rhythm technique, and maybe jam with others that have some other styles than your own.
Quote by Jerry.thewise
Try something completely out of your style, try to work solely on rhythm technique, and maybe jam with others that have some other styles than your own.

That's the thing. I feel like my rhythm is MUCH better than my lead play. I want a good balance.

But I will take the other style idea into thought, I feel like I'm just stuck on the minor and harmonic minor scale
Last edited by llanafreak44 at Oct 19, 2009,
Here's an idea,
Practise it just for a few more hourss, and if you still haven't quite got it, move on to a different song.

Becuase you will be moving onto a different song, it'll let you take a break from Hangar 18, but then in a few weeks or so, go back to the song, and you'll realise it's a lot easier.

I go through a cycle basically, of just songs that I know. If I wanna learn a new song, i'll start on it, and if there's a bit i'm struggling with, i'll practise it for a bit, and if i can't get it down, i'll go through the songs i alreadyyy or learn a different one, so i dno't get stressed at the song i'm trying to learn.
I remember a few months ago, trying to learn a song called This War Is Ours by Escape The Fate, Wow, i couldn't do it AT ALL, but now i've pretty much got it tight cause i've got the hang of sweeping a lot more.
Quote by llanafreak44
That's the thing. I feel like my rhythm is MUCH better than my lead play. I want a good balance.

But I will take the other style idea into thought, I feel like I'm just stuck on the minor and harmonic minor scale

Scales don't define style, phrasing and vibrato define style.

Also... if you're really plateu-ing then there's probably a problem in your technique somewhere but I wouldn't like to try and put a finger on what that problem actually is without seeing you play.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Here's a link. Lets just pretend that for time's sake, I played it correctly every single time

The tempo changes during the sweep so that I could play it.

There's 3 different angles. Front, Shoulder view of me fretting, and shoulder view of me picking. Thank you for the responces so far.

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1742937/Movie.wmv

Right click, save as.