The Blackstar would be the better choice.

In comparison, the Vox might not be well-voiced to handle some of the bands you listed.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
15w vs 5w ....

Didnt tommi iommi use laney amps. Perhaps try out there 20w tube combo.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

I prefer the HT5. Vox is just a little muddy sounding and harsh to my ears. I don't really like how compressed the HT5 can get but I mean... it's 5 watts...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
That means nothing in this comparison. The HT5 is just as loud

It'll still be marginally softer, but I doubt the TS will be able to tell haha.

5 watts when dimed, has enough power to blow your doors off.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Usually...I'd recommend the Night Train because I love mine. But the HT-5 would probably be better for you...given the need for a Sabbath-like tone. The Night Train could pull it off...but it would be nice to have dual channels too. Plus you would save about $100 going with the HT-5.

Quote by al112987
I prefer the HT5. Vox is just a little muddy sounding and harsh to my ears. I don't really like how compressed the HT5 can get but I mean... it's 5 watts...

Really? I don't see how this amp could be muddy. Did you have the thick switch on or something? Because thats the only thing I can figure out If you use that switch while playing clean...thats the only way these amps could ever be muddy. The cleans on these amps blow every other low wattage tube amp out of the water. Just an opinion of course...but I shopped around a lot before buying mine...and I've personally owned many of the amps that the NT is compared against.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Oct 19, 2009,
Quote by al112987

Yeah it's VERY bright, so bright even someone like me who's a bright ***** would start cutting high frequencies.

Other then that, i'd also take a look things like the Marshall Class 5, Blackheart BH15, and also Laney.
I think the Night Train is the go here.

It's loud, has an cool ol skool vibe in the triode 7.5 watt mode and does an awesome ACDC and GnRoses impersonation is this mode.

It's also clean and clear as a bell...MUDDY?? You've got to be kidding me.

Pentode (15 watt) in bright and it's chimey Vox territory but just enough and not too much Vox.

It can sound Fendery and also a bit like a Marshall depending which mode and whether you use Bright or Thick.

I have had to reduce the treble on some settings (bright/pentode) as it can be really bright on some guitars (single coil stat type guitars).

It's also really warm and you get LOTS of power tube distortion.

It snaps for cleans with SCoils and does an amazingly cool blues effort on the thick setting with SCs.

It's so versitile. I run mine into my 212 combo and it rocks.
Quote by eyebanez333
Really? I don't see how this amp could be muddy. Did you have the thick switch on or something? Because thats the only thing I can figure out If you use that switch while playing clean...thats the only way these amps could ever be muddy. The cleans on these amps blow every other low wattage tube amp out of the water. Just an opinion of course...but I shopped around a lot before buying mine...and I've personally owned many of the amps that the NT is compared against.

Apart from the fact that our ears hear things differently... the construction of the cab and the speakers loaded will also impact the tone.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Clear as a bell? It's bright but bright doesn't mean that isn't muddy. I find the mids extremely incoherent on the Vox Night Train, with a les paul it's almost annoyingly so without the bright switch engaged. But when you engage the bright switch, the top end has a very brittle sound. Just my opinion of course ymmv.
I only had about 20 minutes with a Night Train (through a Mesa Recto 2x12) and I really didn't like what I heard. It was basically exactly how al112987 described it. That and the lack of features in addition to the price.

HT-5 for the win in this one.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by al112987
Clear as a bell? It's bright but bright doesn't mean that isn't muddy. I find the mids extremely incoherent on the Vox Night Train, with a les paul it's almost annoyingly so without the bright switch engaged. But when you engage the bright switch, the top end has a very brittle sound. Just my opinion of course ymmv.

You must have tried it in the triode (7.5 watt) mode.

It's not muddy in the least.

This mode is great for blues and old skool rock and yes, it's meant to be more mellow/warm/dark as it's running triode preamp tubes.

With a humbucker equipped Ibanez it sizzles in Pentode.

If anything the amp is really touchy and responsive - it doesn't tolerate bad playing.

When using the triode mode, it's got more 'sag' and power tube distortion with the extra compression that this gives.

Pentode is bright, chimey and really punchy - not muddy in any way shape form nadda.

What cab did you try it with? A Mesa metal orientated cab isn't obviously going to do it justice as it's going to be dark and not respond too well if it doesn't have some wattage kicking it into gear.

On Pentode and thick it sounds great and cuts through like you would expect...when cranked it rocks. Even hard rock/old metal sounds great and is sharp and right there...just with the appropriate compression and sag you would expect when driving a little 15 watter hard.

It's chimey and bright but doesn't ice pick your skull. No it's not like an old Fender as its got it's own tone. And it's a great tone too.
I am also trying to decide between these two amps. I play an American Strat and mostly play blues, and classic rock. When I did an AB between the amps I really could not decide. Then I went else where and played a Orange Tiny Terror and that made it a tougher decision. I think that both the HT-5 and the Nighttrain are way more versatile than the Tiny Terror which did not have much head room at all.