So quick question, why on earth would you need an 8x10 cabinet? Why not 2 4x10's? Is it just for looks?
no sir away a papaya war is on
bass players like to feel important?

Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
more powerful feeling as one big unit.

rather get a 1x18 though. thats just power.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
there will be a difference since any change in construction can alter tone.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
No, provided they have the same drivers the same volume overall and the same size and shape then the physics will be the same although possibly 4x10's will have slightly more rigid cabs because the front and back panels are smaller. This could mean a slightly more neutral sound but the difference would be slight. It is largely down to your attitude to carrying two fairly heavy cabs to shifting one which is ****!
ya. i didn't mean to imply that the tone difference would be significant in any way.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
I think mostly comes down to psycho-acoustics. You think an 8x10 sounds bigger because it looks bigger. Don't get me wrong there will be a slight difference in tone between 2 410s and 1 810 but it won't be a big enough difference for you to justify the inconvenience of such a cab.

You could very easily make an 810 that sounds the same as 2 410s of you wanted to although you couldn't do the reverse easily if at all. The construction of the cabs such as internal space would be the only contributors to any difference in sound. This is of course providing you're using the same wood, speakers, porting design and so on. The rest as I previously stated is down to you mind tricking you.

This is all hypothesis of course I have no scientific data to back this up, I'm just going off of my knowledge of amplifiers and common sense
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I think they're easier to move.....

yeah I said it

But really...I mean 2 4x10s would be lighter, but you'd have to make more trips. Most 8x10s kick back like a dolley so they aren't terribly difficult to move anyway.
Quote by eyebanez333
I think they're easier to move.....

yeah I said it

But really...I mean 2 4x10s would be lighter, but you'd have to make more trips. Most 8x10s kick back like a dolley so they aren't terribly difficult to move anyway.

Try fitting one in an average person's car though... They seem to be more hassle than they're worth tbh
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
Try fitting one in an average person's car though... They seem to be more hassle than they're worth tbh

Most people that have/need 8x10s are in a legitimate gigging band...and should have a way of transporting their gear (van, truck, trailer, etc.) so it shouldn't be a problem. But if you're in a gigging band that doesn't have one...and you drive a subcompact...I guess you're screwed If that's the case, an 8x10 probably isn't for you.
Quote by eyebanez333
Most people that have/need 8x10s are in a legitimate gigging band...and should have a way of transporting their gear (van, truck, trailer, etc.) so it shouldn't be a problem. But if you're in a gigging band that doesn't have one...and you drive a subcompact...I guess you're screwed If that's the case, an 8x10 probably isn't for you.

yeah, that's a point.
The funny thing is that I can easily transprot 2 4x10 cabs and 2 1x15 cabs, but because of the shape, there's no way I would be able to take even one 8x10 with me
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I used to lug around an 8 space rack case, a 4x10 and a 4x12 in camaro to every single show I played. It was a tight squeeze, and forget about even seeing through the back glass... but if I had an 8x10 there's not doubt I would have had to buy a pickup.

Now I'm purely speculating here, but I'm sure a deciding factor in an 8x10 vs dual 4x10s is resistance. I know (after a quick look at a few Ampeg cabs) most 8x10 are rated for 4ohms. 4x10 cabs could be rated at either 4, or 8 ohms. Two 4ohm cabs wouldn't present a problem as they could wired up to run at a resistance of 4ohms (or maybe I have this backwards and it's the 4ohm cabs, it's been years since I've even thought about cab resistance). However the opposite (I think) of two 8 ohm cabs could only be wired up for 8ohms(?) of resistance, thus lessening power.

I'm sure I got my numbers switched around, and I didn't even try explaining about wiring in series vs parallel, because honestly, I can't ****ing remember which one increases resistance and which one decreases it.
two 8 ohm cabs would give a 4 ohm resistance while 2 4ohm cabs would give a 2ohm resistance. both are usuable with many amps and 4 ohms is standard with any bass amp i've ever seen.

Series increases ohms while parallel lowers ohms.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
I, personally would choose 2 2x10"'s any day. Mainly because I can choose between one or two, depending on the gig. I, at the momment, have a 300w head and a 4x10" cab, which is OVERKILL for most gigs (Heck, I've done a medium-large gig with a 1x15" ampeg 100w combo). I'm in the process of saving for a 2x10" so that I could bring my 2x10" to smaller gigs, 4x10" to medium sized gigs and the 2x10"+4x10" to large-medium gigs. Having two seperate cabs offers more room for choice, depending on gigs, and if one of the cab's fails live, you still have some ****ing backup
Considering 8x10,s were designed when pa's sucked and only vocals and drums really went through them. Bass players needed something big to make them heard, and ampeg come up with the solution two 8x10's and a 300 watt valve amp, huge.
But yet the first bass specific designed cab was a 4x10.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
so resistance is the only reason/ or did someone disprove that? I've never had anything but combo amps so I never really got good with all that science/electrical enginearing stuff and got a little lost. I'm gonna have to go to the FAQS again, I remember something about cabs and ohms in there.
Could you get a 4x12 like this and get an extension cab, so it would be at 2 ohms? Because that would be INSANE.

On topic, what fatgoogle said is basically why 8x10s were originally developed. You needed to push a ton of air to be heard for major concerts in the 60s and stuff.
the Ampeg 8x10 has four seperate compartments for each of the 4, 2x10 sets.
they must work, because they are still a very popular choice for many touring bands.
i still see them alot.
The recieved wisdom in my early days was that 8x10's projected more, due to the massive soundboard. The comparison being a jumbo acoustic vs a parlour. Personally, I feel that an 8x10 sounds a little 'looser' than a pair of 4x10's, but that could just be me!
Besides, it's more isn't it? More bigger = more betterer! 6cyl Dodge Charger, or 440 6-Pak?* The V8 of course... it's just more, isn't it?

*A nicely restored '70 in Plum Crazy pls, if you're listening God...
Last edited by creepingjesus73 at Oct 19, 2009,
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
the Ampeg 8x10 has four seperate compartments for each of the 4, 2x10 sets.
they must work, because they are still a very popular choice for many touring bands.
i still see them alot.

I want to go out on a limb and say that's down to brand elitism. "It's ampeg so it must be the best." and so on. The frequency drop off on an Ampeg 810 is horrendous it starts to lose volume at roughly 70Hz if i remember correctly. Compare that to it's chief competition being the Laney Nexus 810 which starts to drop off at 30Hz and the Ampeg starts to show it's age. And of course we're all familiar with the quality issues Ampeg are suffering with after moving their production out of America. In short I don't think the reason a lot of bands use them is that they are the best
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
^The Ampeg has a particular sound, which is one reason why people will buy it. But yeah, the Nexus is a beast, and has it beaten hands down. Up until I tried the Nexus, the SWR was my fave - again, a total beast. But there's no comparison on price, at least in the UK.
I'll wait 'til someone else is being paid to lug one around before I invest! Speaking of which, anyone tried the Markbass one with their lightweight speakers?
Ampeg Svt 8x10 Witness And Then Testify Bitch!
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by gilly_90

that is why you buy a damn pickup truck your not going to fit an 8x10 into a tiny eclipse civic whatever
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by skater dan0
I want to go out on a limb and say that's down to brand elitism. "It's ampeg so it must be the best." and so on. The frequency drop off on an Ampeg 810 is horrendous it starts to lose volume at roughly 70Hz if i remember correctly. Compare that to it's chief competition being the Laney Nexus 810 which starts to drop off at 30Hz and the Ampeg starts to show it's age. And of course we're all familiar with the quality issues Ampeg are suffering with after moving their production out of America. In short I don't think the reason a lot of bands use them is that they are the best

i'm going out on a limb here also, and say what you, or thefitz read about frequency ranges and sound drop off doesn't mean squat in the world of live performance. the Ampeg 810 is the real deal. you can believe that Laney or Carvin build better stuff but, out on the streets Ampeg still rules the bass world. strange, they cost so much and yet, people still buy them. maybe there is a reason...sound!
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
i'm going out on a limb here also, and say what you, or thefitz read about frequency ranges and sound drop off doesn't mean squat in the world of live performance. the Ampeg 810 is the real deal. you can believe that Laney or Carvin build better stuff but, out on the streets Ampeg still rules the bass world. strange, they cost so much and yet, people still buy them. maybe there is a reason...sound!

In all honesty it's not a sound I'd give up my first born for. Now I'm not big on Carvin or Laney either, they both sound rather dull and lacking in character to my ears. I will however concede that having heard and played Ampeg SVT heads through Eden, SWR, Markbass and Aguilar cabs that the SVT 300 watt tube head is something to write home about, maybe not several thousand pounds of something to write home about but a classy sound none the less. My gripe is that Ampeg 810 cab is nothing special and to my ears detracts from the rather nice SVT head tone. To me buying an Ampeg 810 over other much better and much better priced 810s is nothing but brand snobbery.

Now I'll admit that my and apparently thefitz' number crunching is just that, number crunching, and as you so rightly said it has very little meaning in the real world. But that drop off in the Ampeg cab, and it is just the cab, means that if you decide that you might like to play some the E string notes you'll experience marginally less volume and rather substantial loss of definition, which to me is unacceptable in anything with 10 inch speakers. Personally I use 10" speakers for their definition and I'm not entirely fussed about the marginal frequency drop off. I'd use a 15" if I was really that bothered about it.

The Ampeg is from a time when a low frequency was anything below 80Hz and it did its job admirably, fending off the competition with it's rather outstanding output. But in these days where 80Hz is considered high on a bass and there is an increasing demand for instruments that make noises below 40Hz the Ampeg is showing its age.

Now the Ampeg Rig will always have a place in the world the same way the Stratocaster isn't going anywhere and neither is the precision bass and I admire that, not everyone gets to make a product that lives on forever. But if you think that the Ampeg is technological competitor for the current breed of amps then I'm inclined to believe that you're barking up the wrong tree.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Quote by skater dan0
But if you think that the Ampeg is technological competitor for the current breed of amps then I'm inclined to believe that you're barking up the wrong tree.

i'm not looking for the technological competitor. i'm looking for a rig that night after night delivers the goods. thus far Ampeg is at the top of the food chain. get a few years of steady gigging under your belt then, we can have a proper discussion on 8x10's. love ya man!
Quote by TorturedSoul666
Different strokes for different folks.

I just had an epiphany. This is actually a sexual innuendo
Quote by tubatom868686
I just had an epiphany. This is actually a sexual innuendo

i'd innu her endo
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
i'm not looking for the technological competitor. i'm looking for a rig that night after night delivers the goods. thus far Ampeg is at the top of the food chain. get a few years of steady gigging under your belt then, we can have a proper discussion on 8x10's. love ya man!

It is indeed the most popular, but I beg to differ about it being the most reliable. To each his own, I know, but consider that old Peavey stuff from the 80's to be the most reliable. I've never in my life seen a piece of equipment built as solidly as that stuff. 3/4" Plywood, stainless steel corners, indestructible stain-proof covering...you just can't kill the stuff. My Basic 40 was even dropped out of a truck once, and I swear I heard it laugh.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
It is indeed the most popular, but I beg to differ about it being the most reliable.

i must have missed the part where i wrote "most reliable". i have owned a couple of Peavey amps. my Peavey Mark 4 series amp on top of my Peavey 1810 cab(1x18,2x10) was one of my all time favorites. it never failed me. but this is a simple discussion about 8x10 cabs, and i still believe the Ampeg 810 is one of the best.
^ they are cheap on craigslist. always a plus.
needs a tweeter. I'd like to hear one.

and who would be totally stoked to have 2 8x10 cabs? I always wanted to try the double fridge.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
i must have missed the part where i wrote "most reliable". i have owned a couple of Peavey amps. my Peavey Mark 4 series amp on top of my Peavey 1810 cab(1x18,2x10) was one of my all time favorites. it never failed me. but this is a simple discussion about 8x10 cabs, and i still believe the Ampeg 810 is one of the best.

I assumed that's what you meant by the "night after night" line...? Ah well. Did you mean that the Ampeg seems more like an old friend than the others, if that makes any sense?

+1 On the Mark 4 btw, I'd love to have one of those. Not sure my back would like the 1810 though.
Quote by the humanity
^ they are cheap on craigslist. always a plus.
needs a tweeter. I'd like to hear one.

and who would be totally stoked to have 2 8x10 cabs? I always wanted to try the double fridge.

I would be...I'd finally be able to put this old EMC head to use. It just doesn't have enough juice with a single 410.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Oct 20, 2009,
i think what makes the ampeg so great is that it is not something extrodinary. like it's sound is not over the top it's just right. and when you think of just you standard bass tone its the tone of an ampeg SVT. i think thats why bassists will allways go back to ampeg at some point or another.

but it does have a sound in it's own whether you like it or not is up to you.

the benifits of a single 8x10 unit is that if you have a dual chanel amp you can bridge mono for more power into the single cab.

for instence: my power amp is 2x450W at 4ohms but i can bridge mono the two chanells to work together to produce one chanel of 1300W @4 ohms. and then plug it into the mono input of the 8x10.

most 8x10s however also have the opion for using top and bottom basicly for the purpise of your amp as two seperate 4x10 cabs if you have a more traditional head where you must use both outputs of your amp to get full power. OR pluging two different amps so you can have two sounds coming out of the same cab if that tickles you pickle.
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E