I using the mesa right now and the gain channel's are great' the clean channel sucks on these amps they put a gain circuit in there that you have to use or theres no volume not alot of gain but i want my clean channel clean. anyone play or own a 3120 and no i dont want a 6505.
The 3120 is the same as the XXX, just with different stock tubes. You might as well just pick up a used XXX for $400 and call it a day if that's the tone you're after. IMO the Dual Recto slays the 3120 in tone, but you might like it better
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you want a nice clean channel, buy a cheap Peavey Transtube and A/B/Y it with your dual rec.
And if you're really that interested in clean tones, you shouldn't be looking at high-gain 'metal' amps at all.
Quote by kyle62
And if you're really that interested in clean tones, you shouldn't be looking at high-gain 'metal' amps at all.

The XXX/3120 has a great clean channel.
Quote by eyebanez333
The XXX/3120 has a great clean channel.

I think 'great' is pushing it, though it's not bad at all. But worth getting rid of a Dual Rec for?
Quote by kyle62
I think 'great' is pushing it, though it's not bad at all. But worth getting rid of a Dual Rec for?

Well its obvious the clean channel on the mesa isn't cutting it for him...out of the high gain amps out there...I'm a firm believer that the XXX/3120 has one of the best clean channels. But you're right...the mesa should have a great clean channel. But most mesa amps are love/hate anyway...and take a lot of tweaking to get a good sound. I've had both good and bad experiences with mesas so it can go either way for me. But for what you can pick a used XXX up for...its hard to beat imo.
Quote by eyebanez333
Well its obvious the clean channel on the mesa isn't cutting it for him...out of the high gain amps out there...I'm a firm believer that the XXX/3120 has one of the best clean channels. But you're right...the mesa should have a great clean channel. But most mesa amps are love/hate anyway...and take a lot of tweaking to get a good sound. I've had both good and bad experiences with mesas so it can go either way for me. But for what you can pick a used XXX up for...its hard to beat imo.

+1
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
Quote by eyebanez333

I agree fully, but he said he likes the Mesa's drive so it seems a little strange to get rid of it just for the sake of a clean channel. The XXX is a really good all rounder though, the main difference being that it does mid-gain crunch much better than most 'metal' amps I've used.

Oh by the way, if you're using really high-output pickups then you should be looking at those rather than the amp.
Quote by kyle62

Oh by the way, if you're using really high-output pickups then you should be looking at those rather than the amp.

+1

I don't understand high output pickups with already high gain amps. I'd think they'd drive the amp too much to provide the best quality of sound (ie. things would get muddy) especially on the clean channel.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The pick-ups will definitely have an impact on his clean tone. But if you don't like the clean tone on the Mesa Boogie, I don't think changing the pick-ups will drastically alter that distate.

If you love the overdriven tones of the Dual Rectifier, however, I wouldn't suggest replacing it entirely. Instead, you could get something like a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and combine the two amps with an A/B footswitch.
Sell the Dual Recto and buy a used Road King I or a Roadster. Much better sounding amp in every single way, while still having the same type of tone, and a better clean channel
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Raijouta
+1

I don't understand high output pickups with already high gain amps. I'd think they'd drive the amp too much to provide the best quality of sound (ie. things would get muddy) especially on the clean channel.

The first high-output pickup was designed back in '73, when amps had much less onboard gain and no master volume, to push the preamp harder for more overdrive. They have no place at all in modern metal rigs, for the most part.
i might do it. i really like the xxx, and it does have a really good clean tone. it does have the useless ultra channel though...
most rectifiers are the flub, and they have wierd cleans.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by kyle62
The first high-output pickup was designed back in '73, when amps had much less onboard gain and no master volume, to push the preamp harder for more overdrive. They have no place at all in modern metal rigs, for the most part.

I dislike the tone of low output pickups with high gain amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
the ultra channel is useless really. bottom line can i get a good megadeth tone out of it if i can and the clean has no gain maybe thats the amp for me.
Quote by midevilhalberd
the ultra channel is useless really. bottom line can i get a good megadeth tone out of it if i can and the clean has no gain maybe thats the amp for me.

Get an eq for the megadeth tone and the cleans have no gain

Edited because im illiterate
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
Last edited by chrisa123 at Oct 19, 2009,
you could always try to find a fender twin reverb or jazz chorus for you cleans
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects: