i read an interview with bob dylan where he said he associated C major as "the key of regret". and of course Dm, the "saddest of all keys".

so i'm curious, do and UG people have some things they associate with certain keys like that?
The key of regret? I believe he meant the most basic and simple key that 90% of music is in.

And no, I don't really associate keys with anything.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Bb and Eb = pigheaded concert band instrument players
D and G = Irish tune sessions
He likes Keats but she's into Yeats - it's a matter of Romance

E-Mistress to UG's Finest Gentleman

Come away, oh human child,
To the waters and the wild
With a fairy hand in hand;
For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand.
Quote by randomthought9
i read an interview with bob dylan where he said he associated C major as "the key of regret". and of course Dm, the "saddest of all keys".

so i'm curious, do and UG people have some things they associate with certain keys like that?
These things are not true, it depends on the actual melody used. For example, I composed a very sad and melancholic song in D major, and a happy and catchy one in G minor.
Maybe no to that extent but yes. For me E is the bluesiest key, G is very country-sounding and anything Bb reminds me of Chuck Berry, of course all these keys can be so much more.

EDIT: It's not about whether it's right or wrong, we're just talking associations here.
Last edited by kr1stians at Oct 19, 2009,
Quote by Poglia
These things are not true, it depends on the actual melody used. For example, I composed a very sad and melancholic song in D major, and a happy and catchy one in G minor.

But was the G minor tune actually in G minor or Bb? And was the D tune in D or B minor? Not to say you can't write them that way, things plain old C always seem to turn out melancholy or depressive for me.

I dunno, but playing E Major, then F/E Major 7th makes me think of mexicans.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
I find D minor the saddest of all keys, i find it makes people weep instantly.
Strat

Proco Turbo RAT
Boss RE-20

Fender Blues Junior
I can't really tell the difference apart from a few semitones or so.
███████
███████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████

E is bright green/dark, slightly metallic green, depending on whether it's major or minor.
G minor is bright red, I have no colour for G major.
A is bright yellow/a dull yellow, which reminds me of old temples and things.
D is cyan/dull turqouisey blue.
C is similar to D, but C major only has a very slight colour, as if it's partially transparent.
The chromatic scale is either metallic grey, or a beautiful green/brown that reminds me of forests, depending on how it's used.

Although a lot of the time, the tone colour of the instrument overrides these. The string section is green, brass is orange/yellow, distorted guitar is brown (usually), clean guitar is yellow.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Oct 19, 2009,
Wait, did anyone do a Spinal Tap reference yet?

It's all relative; I don't see how C major can be any more 'regretful' than D major. The intervals are the same, they just start in a different place. It's what you do with the intervals that dictate the mood of the piece.

I think many people associate specific keys with specific moods because of the way they are arranged on their instrument. Some one mentioned that they felt E was the bluesiest key; perhaps this has something to do with the way a guitar is tuned and arranged. C is the most common of all the keys because your average piano/keyboard is tuned to C, which makes it arguably the easiest to play.

I always had a soft spot for D minor. It was my comfort key, its where I began when I started writing songs. But recently I've tuned my guitar down from E standard to D standard. I haven't elusively transposed my creations to keep with D minor, I've basically just slipped into C minor.

When you're listenening to a piece, you won't know the key (without perfect pitch) anyway. I don't think the key dictates how a mucisian feels about it, more-so how the instrument they are playing is dictated by the key. If that makes sense.
Quote by whalepudding
E is bright green/dark, slightly metallic green, depending on whether it's major or minor.
G minor is bright red, I have no colour for G major.
A is bright yellow/a dull yellow, which reminds me of old temples and things.
D is cyan/dull turqouisey blue.
C is similar to D, but C major only has a very slight colour, as if it's partially transparent.
The chromatic scale is either metallic grey, or a beautiful green/brown that reminds me of forests, depending on how it's used.

Although a lot of the time, the tone colour of the instrument overrides these. The string section is green, brass is orange/yellow, distorted guitar is brown (usually), clean guitar is yellow.

That is so cool you have synesthesia! I have a question for you: If you're listening to music on the radio, or something you've never heard before and you don't have any context as to what key it's in, what colours do you associate them with? Do you see the right colours, or do you just not see any colours?
To the above post, how a particular key fits their instrument will affect how they feel about it. Dm is my favourite key because it's the easiest for me to sing in and minors are always easier to make sound haunting and sad. I play guitar in a big band where all the arrangements are in Eb or Bb, both of which are a bugger to play on the guitar; that's the reason for my particular associations/dislikes of those keys. D and G are the easiest for me to play on my viola and mostly the only ones you can play on a tin whistle, hence my association of them with sessions and Irish music.

EDIT: to the ABOVE above post

Last edited by miss_muso~ at Oct 19, 2009,
Quote by st.stephen
That is so cool you have synesthesia! I have a question for you: If you're listening to music on the radio, or something you've never heard before and you don't have any context as to what key it's in, what colours do you associate them with? Do you see the right colours, or do you just not see any colours?

Nah, those only have any effect when I know the key. If I don't, I still see colours but they come from the instruments and the scale.
What? Someone has Synesthesia?

Whalepudding, you need a thread dedicated to you.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by randomthought9
Not so much a specific key,
but I associate any pentatonic scale with mindless masturbation.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Serious? I write mellower stuff in A minor
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
All hail Whale Pudding

I always found A minor so much sadder than D minor.

Actually, the first couple of chords in Alice in Chain's "Nutshell" or Agalloch's "A Desolation Song" are extremely sad.

D minor always sounded very Spanish to me.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Momentosis
What? Someone has Synesthesia?

Whalepudding, you need a thread dedicated to you.

Wut? Something like 1 in 20 people have it, it's the most common thing in the world. There's threads about it full of people telling everyone what colour the number 5 is.

(It's red, btw. And you're gay if you think otherwise.)
Last edited by whalepudding at Oct 19, 2009,
Quote by whalepudding
Wut? Something like 1 in 20 people have it, it's the most common thing in the world. There's threads about it full of people telling everyone what colour the number 5 is.

wtf? why have I not heard about it being common?

Doesn't matter. You need your own thread like the Dream theatre guy.

That thread was epic.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Keys don't mean anything to me. It's all about the space between the notes, not the notes themselves.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
If you can associate things with keys, wouldn't that mean you have some form of perfect pitch?

a lot of what you guys are describing are just things you have developed by hearing the different voicings of chords in open position that you learn when you first start guitar, not really the key itself
Uh. Actually, this is very interesting - I do not hear any musical keys as being different from each other, except in pitch, but i only hear pitch in relation. I.e. To other notes. Just the way I work, I guess.

I mean, I'm aware that they're all different sounding, but the notes in every key will be the same, to me, in relation to each other within that key, as compared to another key. I.e. E sounds the same as C except when juxtaposed, if that makes any sense to anyone. Maybe I just work music different :/
Quote by miss_muso~
Bb and Eb = pigheaded concert band instrument players
D and G = Irish tune sessions

What do you have against Eb??
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Nothing, really. It's just that all my big band arrangements are in Eb/Bb, both of which are annoying and painful to play for long periods of time. It's a sort of joke I have going with the other band members. We have to play one - ONE - thing in G and they're whinging their heads off.