I'm think of getting the Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop and those have P90 pickups in it. I already have an Ibanez guitar I use for metal and stuff but assume I'm stuck with the Epiphone, would a proper gate be okay to play metal on those pickups?

By metal I mean Lamb of God. Their tone isn't overly saturated by distortion but it does have a lot of gain.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
P90's + metal = not a good match.

You probably could do it, but your tone would be sub par to that of your ibanez. P90's are made for blues/classic rock.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by larrytheguitar
I'm think of getting the Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop and those have P90 pickups in it. I already have an Ibanez guitar I use for metal and stuff but assume I'm stuck with the Epiphone, would a proper gate be okay to play metal on those pickups?

By metal I mean Lamb of God. Their tone isn't overly saturated by distortion but it does have a lot of gain.

Actually dude in a recent interview Mark said that he and Willie back off the gain quite alot on wrath. Personally I believe that you can do any genre with any type of pick-up. Although some work alot better than others, it's still possible. I would say your P90's would be better than single coils. You could do it I think.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Why get P90s if you're gonna play metal? Maybe you'll be able to pull it off, but it definitely won't sound as good as humbuckers.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Zoso1994
Why get P90s if you're gonna play metal? Maybe you'll be able to pull it off, but it definitely won't sound as good as humbuckers.

Well I'm not looking at the Epi for a replacement, more of an addition. My Ibanez sucks for classic rock, blues stuff, and cleans. I wasn't planning on using the Epi for metal, I'm just saying that if something were to come up, would it do alright.

He will be missed.
i'm not sure. even with my decimator on, i sometimes still get a bit of single coil noise when i walk really close to the amp (at high gain). i only really play at home volumes, so I'm not sure if it'd be much worse at higher volumes.

but if you're mainly going to use it for rock, blues and cleans, and occasional metal, it'll probably be fine.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Swap them out for a set of BKP Pig-90s and you'll be fine for metal
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
P90s can do some metal but dont excel at really heavy stuff. All you can do is try it and see if you like it, there are humbuckers out there that fit in a p90 route.
single coils dont do metal very well. as said, they are meant for classic rock and other genres around there. yur ibanez should pull off metal fairly well. but if u still want it to play some blues and rock then by all means buy it. its a very beautiful guitar.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
I'm not a metalhead myself, but as far I know, Sunn O))) themselves use Gibson Les Paul Goldtops with P-90's.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
yeah lamb of god with a good amp. You can do LoG with high output singles. Don't sweat it. You probably won't need the decimator unless it gets too noisy.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
hell i can get a solid metal tone on my friends telecaster. you should be fine.
the lead guitarist for my harcore/metal band plays a 60's les paul jr. (the double cut type) and its got 2 p-90s. he sounds just fine with it too.
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
Depends on what you're putting the guitar through. My tele has duncan single coils and is tuned to drop Bb - I can get some tight and unique sounds out of putting that through my 6505.
Quote by necrosis1193

Sounds good, but does the fact that it's Gibson have any factor, you think?

Also, for more specifics to the guy above, I never go below Drop D. I think my playing is generally pretty clean, HOWEVER (mostly with metal) I palm mute loads. It's not like I'm a shredder or anything, I'm a heavy riff guy. And if you know Lamb of God, they palm mute a shizz load. Would palm muting sound like crap with P-90's or do you think it doesn't matter much.

He will be missed.
i *think* p90s don't have quite as tight a bass as humbuckers, and they're a bit rawer all round. Can you try any p90 guitars?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
IMO P90s sound great for metal. They have a very raw and biting quality that works well in high gain sounds. In my profile there is a LP Jr demo. At the end there is some heavy stuff(excuse the Green Day it was done for someone looking to buy a Jr for GD sounds).
Quote by Dave_Mc
i *think* p90s don't have quite as tight a bass as humbuckers, and they're a bit rawer all round. Can you try any p90 guitars?

The guitar stores around here only have Vox's and some Marshalls. Some good OD, but can't play metal on it really.

He will be missed.
Quote by necrosis1193

Damn you, this video was already copied and ready to be pasted! Nice work

But yeah, you can do it and it can sound great too. It's always nice to hear a non-generic tone for metal. Whenever I've jammed with my metal mates I refuse to use my Ibanez's and instead use my Tele or borrow a Strat. Sounds different and cuts through a lot more.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
You can play metal on anything you like mate, its more dependant on the amp in my opinion. There are plenty of players out there busting out an intense tone through single coils, i wouldn't be put off as long as you are comfortable with playing that guitar.
Quote by larrytheguitar
The guitar stores around here only have Vox's and some Marshalls. Some good OD, but can't play metal on it really.

ah. i dunno what to advise, really.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
After doing some research and watching some demo's on YouTube, I think that the Epiphone is just for me. Pretty good price, good pickups, and looks great.

HOWEVER there's always someone out there with a different opinion; for 500 bucks, what guitar would you buy besides the goldtop.

He will be missed.
Quote by flanders_91
single coils dont do metal very well.

A Mr. Malmsteen would like to have a word with you.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
to be fair, though, mr malmsteen also thinks that frilly shirts are appropriate, and that donuts are a major food group.

I'm kidding, I love malmsteen. But most people seem to prefer 'buckers for the heavier stuff.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?