Hey guys, I m about to buy this Epiphone Korina Explorer, with dual Emg 81s, installed by a pro, a better tun-o-matic bridge (dont know what brand yet - probably gotoh or something), and a hardcase to go with it.

The deal was for 450Eur. I m picking it up, so shipping isnt an issue.

Good deal or not? I dont know much about the Epiphone Korina Explorers... How do they play? Whats the neck like etc?

Thanks!
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
-Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp (Mk2C+ mod)
-Mesa/Boogie 50-50 Stereo Poweramp
-Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (C90 and EVM)
Epiphones are hit and miss. Sounds like you are getting good value for the components, but be sure to try the explorer. See that everything works and its built properly.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
Epiphones are hit and miss. Sounds like you are getting good value for the components, but be sure to try the explorer. See that everything works and its built properly.

This is sage advice, I've not played another epi explorer that felt or sounded the exact same as mine. Their QA sucks.
Well how different is the guitar from the Gibson counterparts? I dont mean that hardware and pickups etc, but the neck, and the body and all?

It says its a Korina explorer but i ve heard that the Epis arent solid Korina bodies, but a mix of woods. If so, what wood is actually in the Epi Korina Explorer?
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
Play it first. I hear good things about those guitars, but remember you could spend an extra two hundred or so and get a Gibson Explorer Faded which would be one of the best guitars you will ever play.
Last edited by drewfromutah at Oct 19, 2009,
Quote by drewfromutah
Play it first. I hear good things about those guitars, but remember you could spend an extra two hundred or so and get a Gibson Explorer Faded which would be one of the best guitars you will ever play.

Well i m buying it second hand, with pickups (although i m not crazy about EMG) and a new/better bridge, so it seems like a good deal. Also theres a hard case in the deal.

So i think i m going for it, as long as i get to play it and i like it.

Does anyone know about the wood question i asked in my last post?
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
Quote by drewfromutah

But low end Gibsons aren't much better than Epiphones...

I've played a few Faded Gibsons and they were essentially on par with the Epis; the only difference was the headstock shape, finish and slightly different sound. Not worth the price difference especially when the Epiphones felt better to me.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Bump? Can anyone comment on the woods in the Korina explorer?
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string