I'm thinking about getting one of these. The only thing is that obviously, it's not going to much cut it jamming or even for small gigs. I was wondering if a nice solution might be to find an affordable 100W power amp to hook it up to, then I'd be sorted? It'd still cost less than most tube amps and of course it'd be a bit louder.

Most of the time it'd be best just to mic it up, but I'm no sure about stage volume.

There aren't really any louder tube amps that appeal to me at the moment except the Tiny Terror, which is a higher gain amp so the lack of effects loop will really kill it for me. The Vox seems low gain enough to run delay and verb up front and still get "it's tone". I can't really afford one at the moment anyway, and it doesn't have a built in attenuator.

Volume is an issue for me here, I need it for bedroom practice and recording and it can't sound shit. I'd nearly get an Orange AD5 as I do like Orange style crunch, but it has no attentuator/master volume. I'm looking at it primarily as a pedal platform, but I need it to have it's own decent dirt for when I couldn't be arsed plugging in the pedals.

If there are any alternatives with the same charm as the AC4TV I'm open to them but keep in mind they have to be available in Ireland/the EU.
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Oct 19, 2009,
it sounds like you've found the tone you want in the ac4, so for small gigs, why not just mic it?

for the live playing on-stage volume problem, you can have a bit of your own guitar put into your monitor to help you hear yourself, if you can't hear your amp from on-stage (because you probably won't be able to hear it on its own)
Should I get the 8" or 10" version though? The 8" version has a 1/10W setting which I'd be easily able to crank here, but 1/4W I'm not so sure. If I was micing it up or using an external cab/power amp it might be better, especially since it's more portable.

Maybe I should get the 10" version and get a super sensitive speaker? I think about 3db is twice the loudness, and Eminence make speakers that are 3+db louder than the average speaker. Plus it'd be power efficient.

Though that'd mean it'd be even louder at 1/4". Bleh. Wish it had a master volume too.
Quote by jmeyer1022
If you got the money, maybe go for the half stack?

I like the look of the Combo better. Doesn't seem worth it for me just for the slightly bigger speaker, plus 10" will be less boomy for bedroom practice.
Ya, just trying to help you decide, Seems like you def. want the 10". I can only say go grab it. I plan on doing the same or half stack next month, hopefully prices are down a bit.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
I like the look of the Combo better. Doesn't seem worth it for me just for the slightly bigger speaker, plus 10" will be less boomy for bedroom practice.

Ya but with the head you can figure out all this cab stuff much easier. I'd say get the head and a decent 1x12, then down the road you can get a 2x12 for it for gigging.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
As much as love my Vox it really wouldn't handle much more than bedroom practice. Why don't you try the Vox Night Train? I've never tried it but it should get you somewhat close to the AC4 and it's 15 watts.

EDIT: Oh and 1/4 watt cranked is still really loud so if you're like me cranking it will be a very rare thing. However there isn't going to be a huge difference between 1/4 watt and 1/10 watt I don't think. I think the 10" speaker would be a better idea too.
Last edited by aaronni at Oct 19, 2009,
+1 to the Night Train

The triode setting is easily low enough for bedroom practice....and the pentode mode is loud enough for practicing with a drummer.
Quote by aaronni
As much as love my Vox it really wouldn't handle much more than bedroom practice. Why don't you try the Vox Night Train? I've never tried it but it should get you somewhat close to the AC4 and it's 15 watts.

EDIT: Oh and 1/4 watt cranked is still really loud so if you're like me cranking it will be a very rare thing. However there isn't going to be a huge difference between 1/4 watt and 1/10 watt I don't think. I think the 10" speaker would be a better idea too.

The night train is way more expensive and I kind of like the rawer tone of the AC4TV a bit more. I'd get the Night train if it was cheaper and I could get a decent cheap cab that could handle both my Lunchbox and AC4
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
The night train is way more expensive and I kind of like the rawer tone of the AC4TV a bit more. I'd get the Night train if it was cheaper and I could get a decent cheap cab that could handle both my Lunchbox and AC4

Sorry I skimmed over your first post and noticed you mentioned the Tiny Terror, didn't see the can't afford bit!

After reading your post properly I'd say the Vox is a great choice but you'll have to realise its limitations. For gigs and jamming it's not going to cut it really. For home and recording it's a superb amp for the price. By the way I run a delay through mine and it sounds fine, not as nice when it's cranked though. It does get a surprising amount of gain to be honest I wouldn't just label it low gain.

I really think you should try to up your budget a bit and look at 15 watts if jamming and gigs are important. 4 watts won't cut it.

EDIT: If you could get up to about £300 there's the Valvepower 18 watter that DaveMC keeps recommending. It looks great and it's got power scaling for bedroom/recording.
Last edited by aaronni at Oct 19, 2009,
have you considered this?

http://www.valvepower.co.uk/index.htm

i haven't tried the ac4 yet, but i've heard the tone of 18 watt marshalls being described as somewhat between marshall and vox.

EDIT: oh, i didn't realise you couldn't afford the TT, the VP is the same price as the TT.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If I hooked the speaker out up to a power amp though, wouldn't that work for me? Or just miced it up.
yeah, your post was what made me notice it EDIT: oh, i meant about not being able to get up to £300 and not being able to afford the TT. I didn't notice that you'd posted about the VP too, i must have posted at the same time you edited
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 19, 2009,
I can't think of any other options I could afford, even bumping on an extra $100+, that would be giggable. Most cheaper tube amps have the horrible thing of being rather generic and being "Tube for Tube's sake". The only ones that have been the exception are the Voxes, HT-5(to an extent) and Tiny Terror. I wouldn't mind getting a good SS or Modeler at this price point, it's just none catched my eye. I'm a little excited about the AC4TV being ALL TUBE at bedroom levels etc., but it's not that big an issue.
Well I can't recommend the Vox enough, I think it's a fantastic amp. I was mentioning other options as you said about gigging and jamming. Sorry if my posts looked like I was dissuading you from getting it, I mean look at my sig

I can't help with the power amp thing, hopefully something with more knowledge helps you out there. Micing up would probably be fine but I can't imagine you'd have any sort of clean tone
Forget that the 8" version exists, it sucks. Definitely get the 10" speaker. The AC4 is a great amp.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Clean Tone would be a problem since I'm looking for a good platform for pedals.

I was looking at one of these too, but only for home or studio use. Have the girlfriend getting me one for Christmas. I know- I'm one lucky S.O.B.

I'm gonna get serious stick for this from the yanks and tube purists, but to hell with it - it's true and very relevant.

For gigging I use a Fender FM100H with matching 4x12 cab. As a platform for pedals, it's amazing. The clean tone's great - easily as good as if not better than my mate's silverface bassman, reverb's decent (genuine spring), and most people who know anything at our gigs are shocked (if/when they ask) to hear its an SS amp. The onboard distortion is absolutely rotten and not even remotely usable, but if you wanna run your pedals through it then you'll get a better representation of what your pedals actually sound like than running it through any single channel tube amp. I run all sorts of stuff into it... Humbuckers, single coils, Distortions, Overdrive, Fuzz, Phaser, Flanger, Wah, Vibe. Can't fault it. It can be a wee bit noisy with singlecoils, but my ISP Decimator in the FX loop clears that up completely. As regards gigging, I've never needed it above three on the volume knob in any live setting. At this volume the cleans are still pristine, and the distortions etc from the pedals are warm and juicy without ever being harsh or raspy.

The vox or the valvepower or any other smaller single channel tube amp won't give you any real usable clean headroom live. That is without rolling back your vol knob, but that's bloody impractical and awkward if you're using shifting nirvana-esque or similar dynamics. Even if you plan on using pedals for that purpose, the amp is meant to be cranked and not set up foruse as a clean channel.

Pricewise, you can pick up the whole FM package - head and cab - for around €400. I'm not trying to get you buy one or to not buy the ac4tv either. I'm just showing you that there are plenty of other very affordable, nice sounding amps out there if you're willing to look.

So, the big question is do you need a sturdy, reliable, practical gigging amp, or something that'll sound (and look) nice in your sitting room on a lazy saturday afternoon?

Hope none of that sounds horrible or up-me-own-arsed, but I feel it needed to be said. I reckon you want this Vox amp for the wrong things. Trying to save you hassle in the long run, buddy.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
4 watts, ****, even 1 watt, can get over a drummer. 1 Watt is too loud for apartments, so the AC4 should be fine for you and at the worst you can mike it up.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Quote by CephalidHunter
4 watts, ****, even 1 watt, can get over a drummer. 1 Watt is too loud for apartments, so the AC4 should be fine for you and at the worst you can mike it up.

There's no way a 1 watt amp could make it over a drummer. I tried out the AC4TV on 2 watts at GC with my drummer playing drums and I was completely drowned out.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by gerardwayne
I was looking at one of these too, but only for home or studio use. Have the girlfriend getting me one for Christmas. I know- I'm one lucky S.O.B.

I'm gonna get serious stick for this from the yanks and tube purists, but to hell with it - it's true and very relevant.

For gigging I use a Fender FM100H with matching 4x12 cab. As a platform for pedals, it's amazing. The clean tone's great - easily as good as if not better than my mate's silverface bassman, reverb's decent (genuine spring), and most people who know anything at our gigs are shocked (if/when they ask) to hear its an SS amp. The onboard distortion is absolutely rotten and not even remotely usable, but if you wanna run your pedals through it then you'll get a better representation of what your pedals actually sound like than running it through any single channel tube amp. I run all sorts of stuff into it... Humbuckers, single coils, Distortions, Overdrive, Fuzz, Phaser, Flanger, Wah, Vibe. Can't fault it. It can be a wee bit noisy with singlecoils, but my ISP Decimator in the FX loop clears that up completely. As regards gigging, I've never needed it above three on the volume knob in any live setting. At this volume the cleans are still pristine, and the distortions etc from the pedals are warm and juicy without ever being harsh or raspy.

The vox or the valvepower or any other smaller single channel tube amp won't give you any real usable clean headroom live. That is without rolling back your vol knob, but that's bloody impractical and awkward if you're using shifting nirvana-esque or similar dynamics. Even if you plan on using pedals for that purpose, the amp is meant to be cranked and not set up foruse as a clean channel.

Pricewise, you can pick up the whole FM package - head and cab - for around €400. I'm not trying to get you buy one or to not buy the ac4tv either. I'm just showing you that there are plenty of other very affordable, nice sounding amps out there if you're willing to look.

So, the big question is do you need a sturdy, reliable, practical gigging amp, or something that'll sound (and look) nice in your sitting room on a lazy saturday afternoon?

Hope none of that sounds horrible or up-me-own-arsed, but I feel it needed to be said. I reckon you want this Vox amp for the wrong things. Trying to save you hassle in the long run, buddy.

Well, I already have a decent clean platform in my ZT Lunchbox. That's an amazing gigging amp. But I'd really like something that's voiced a bit differently for variety.

Roland JC might be nice. Dunno where I'd get one around here though.

If I swapped out the AC4TV speaker for one with higher sensitivity, how would that owrk out?
Get a Pro Jr?
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
Get a Pro Jr?

I need something with a built in attenuator or decent master volume.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
I need something with a built in attenuator or decent master volume.

Peavey Windsor Studio? 15w. 12" blue marvel speaker (same as peavey classic series, I think). Has a built in attenuator. Spring reverb and loads of other goodies too. Made for switching and changing tube compliments to let you get your ideal sound thro experimentation. Around €350.

Even the 100w Windsor head. It has a master vol. Think it's cheaper than the 15w combo now, too at around €215. No reverb, though. Could easily get an attenuator and the head for under €400. Maybe even a decent used cab too. Same sort of classic rock crunchy sound as the vox and others.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
No idea what changing the speaker would do for you as regards making it giggable. My guess is not much. Saying that, you can theoretically gig with anything once you have a mic in front of it, a decent monitor in front of you, and a sound engineer with a bit of cop on.
Gear: