Which is better, the Boss NS-2 or the Behringer NR100/NR300? Just pick one of the two and share your opinions. Thanks.
Guitars:

Squier Standard Telecaster
Takamine EG-240

Guitar Effects:

Korg AX5G Muti-Effects Pedal
Boss DS-2
Boss DD-7

Read and follow my tumblog

Follow me on twitter
The Boss ran in the X Connection is great, I've tried it once. I'd much eather have the Boss.

Look into the ISP Decimator though, it's said to be the standard in noise gates.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Oct 19, 2009,
As a general rule of thumb I'd take Boss over Behringer anyday. I've had decent experiences with my NS-2, it will choke off the highs and harmonics a little, but there is a happy medium between noise suppression and good sound, it just takes a little tweaking. I have heard great things about the ISP Decimator, I'd recommend giving one of those a try if your budget can handle it.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Out of those two...definitely the BOSS.

But I would also suggest giving the ISP Decimator a try.
Oh. Thanks for sharing your opinions.

And oh, I don't know what an ISP Decimator is. haha care to explain why is it better than the two?
Guitars:

Takamine EG-240

Guitar Effects:

Boss DS-2
Boss DD-7

Follow me on twitter
Ohh. Okay thanks! I would definitely check that out!
Guitars:

Takamine EG-240

Guitar Effects:

Boss DS-2
Boss DD-7

Follow me on twitter
i'm pretty sure the decimator isn't true bypass. other than that, though, it's very, very nice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
bos ns2....despite the behringer being half the price it`s also half the quality, i`ve known peeps to stand on the switch and it break (in-store), says it all really.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm pretty sure the decimator isn't true bypass. other than that, though, it's very, very nice.

I think your correct. Done some google searches and apparently it's not. My mistake.

It doesn't seem to colour your tone anyway.
The Boss is definitely better than the Behringer, for the money I spent on a used one it was definitely worth it. I would look into an ISP Decimator like everyone else has said though, the NS-2 is good but I think it cuts into your dynamics just a bit.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Quote by vegetoe01
I think your correct. Done some google searches and apparently it's not. My mistake.

It doesn't seem to colour your tone anyway.

no worries. yeah, the buffer on it is really nice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i'm thinking of buying the isp decimtor for my 5150

which way is best to run it ??

through the front into the high gain input or through the back in the effects "send/return" section

i just got a head so i'm a n00b at the whole pedal game someone please school me
Gear:

-Alpine White Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-EMG 81 Active bridge pickup
-Peavey 5150 head
-Avatar vintage cab 4x12 w/ Legend Eminence speakers
-Fender Deluxe 90 combo amp
-Boss TU-2
-BBE Sonic Stomp
-ISP Decimator

Quote by LPCpoop

through the front into the high gain input or through the back in the effects "send/return" section

i just got a head so i'm a n00b at the whole pedal game someone please school me

In your case, probably in the loop. If you had a lot of noise coming from your guitar, pedals, etc. you would run it in front. If you have a noisy amp, run it in the loop.

Or you could pony up the extra money and get the ISP Decimator G-string...and run it in both places at the same time
^He asked about the ISP. You can't do that with the Decimator.
The G-String is another story.
oops, i completely skipped over the part that said isp, i thought we were still talking about the ns-2. ignore my post then
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by LPCpoop

i always found it sounded a lot more natural in front of the amp, yet it still cuts most of the noise in my rig (somehow). it doesn't cut it all, though, and I'm using an engl, not a 5150.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks for the help guys!

i think i'm starting to get the hang of this

so when adding an OD /boost pedal and a chromatic tuner is it still best to run through the high gain input in the front or does that change when adding those type of pedals??

i know its best to add the decimator at the end of the chain before the input correct?
Gear:

-Alpine White Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-EMG 81 Active bridge pickup
-Peavey 5150 head
-Avatar vintage cab 4x12 w/ Legend Eminence speakers
-Fender Deluxe 90 combo amp
-Boss TU-2
-BBE Sonic Stomp
-ISP Decimator

^ Time based effects (reverb, delay, etc) may have to go after the noise gate in some situations. It depends on the threshold setting. Sometimes if its too high, it will prematurely clip the effect(s)