I've recently read a fair bit of info on guitar effects etc. and through time I've heard of software that can emulate guitar effects however never even bothered to look into them.
The other day I was reading and the guy got onto "Patches" for his effects pedals that he used and showed some software stuff he was using but he didn't actually explain what patches were.
I did some googling and could not find a single guide explaining what they are/how they work etc, just tonnes of sites with patches, I also noticed there were some for a few of my effects pedals so now I am very interested.

I'm just asking for a link to a good guide on patches if anyone knows one or a brief explanation of what they are aka:

-Is it software you run on a computer
-How do you use it
-Have to plug any extra shiz in and if so where

Sorry, this is probably an extremely noob question and half the terminology i'm using is probably wrong, but you gotta start somewhere xD

-rk
I think what you're describing are software patches for recording software. When you download and run the patch it will add something to your software which simulates the stompboxes.

I think that's what you're on about
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by rkroxpunk
I've recently read a fair bit of info on guitar effects etc. and through time I've heard of software that can emulate guitar effects however never even bothered to look into them.
The other day I was reading and the guy got onto "Patches" for his effects pedals that he used and showed some software stuff he was using but he didn't actually explain what patches were.
I did some googling and could not find a single guide explaining what they are/how they work etc, just tonnes of sites with patches, I also noticed there were some for a few of my effects pedals so now I am very interested.

I'm just asking for a link to a good guide on patches if anyone knows one or a brief explanation of what they are aka:

-Is it software you run on a computer
-How do you use it
-Have to plug any extra shiz in and if so where

Sorry, this is probably an extremely noob question and half the terminology i'm using is probably wrong, but you gotta start somewhere xD

-rk

Simply put a patch is a saved preset. This can be in the form of a multi-effects unit where you have settings saved to a patch, or in hardware form with a midi interface.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
Simply put a patch is a saved preset. This can be in the form of a multi-effects unit where you have settings saved to a patch, or in hardware form with a midi interface.

Alrighty thank you.

Quote by SimplyBen
I think what you're describing are software patches for recording software. When you download and run the patch it will add something to your software which simulates the stompboxes.

I think that's what you're on about

This isn't actually what I was on about however it interests me a lot. What program has this capability? xD
A patch simply refers to additions and/or fixes to software. So in the case of ME pedals it can be as previous posters said and simply be a new preset or it could be a new model of some type or a fix for the software.