As the title says.

I like to play a little of everything. The guitar is my main instrument but I like to mess around with anything I can get my hands on. I play a little on the keys, the violin, even some simple drums stuff. I play a little bass when our usual bassist switches to acoustic guitar for some of the backdrops or mellower parts, or when a song has 3 guitar parts instead of the usual 2, but aside from that I don't have a bass to practice with.

Whats good? And cheap? Very very cheap...
Ibanez GSR200

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSR200-4String-Bass?sku=519524&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26044929

Available in a multitude of colors and it's a pretty common bass so you may even be able to find it used.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
If I went fender/squier and was going to play a lot of different genre's I'd probably go with a jazz bass. More versatile than the p-bass. Doesn't mean the P-bass isn't a good bass though.

NOTE: Squier basses are of higher quality than their guitar brethren so don't just put them off because it's squier.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Yeah, Squier P or J basses are decent. I have one on my knee right now (P-Bass) and it's great.

I'd recommend the P over the J, purely for the fact the J only has J pups in it, whereas the P has a set of split Ps, and a jazz pup in it.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by druggietoad2k5
Yeah, Squier P or J basses are decent. I have one on my knee right now (P-Bass) and it's great.

I'd recommend the P over the J, purely for the fact the J only has J pups in it, whereas the P has a set of split Ps, and a jazz pup in it.

Oh I forgot that about some squier p-basses. This may be a better option than the jazz....the ibanez does have a P pickup and a Jazz pickup also..
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
It's the Squier P-bass Special that has the P&J pups in. The Vintage Modified Squiers don't have the 2, only the split P.

personally, Squier P-bass, can't go wrong. I even gig mine.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

FAQ

but Ibanez GSR200, versatile, great playability, great overall bass. Squier P's and J's are good (stay away from the affinity series), but I'd recommend the Ibanez over them. Try em out first, pick the one that feels better when your playing
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
i have a squire j, and i kinda like it. but it buzzes a little on the higher frets so i would say to go with the ibanez.
Quote by tycominime
i have a squire j, and i kinda like it. but it buzzes a little on the higher frets so i would say to go with the ibanez.

That's just a problem with your specific bass, not all of those basses. My Ibanez has major fret buzz on the first fret on the G string, but my friend has the same bass and his has no fret buzz at all.
Quote by Alex Vik
That's just a problem with your specific bass, not all of those basses. My Ibanez has major fret buzz on the first fret on the G string, but my friend has the same bass and his has no fret buzz at all.

mhm. there are still negatives bout the squire j bass pro tone series my friend and me both have them and they are both extremely heavy. but back to cheap basses brutes wich are brubakers's mass produced series and they are about $350 or $400.
Last edited by tycominime at Oct 21, 2009,
You seem to be emphasizing the cheap part, so:
http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

Their basses are very good quality for the price...there's little difference in manufacturing quality between my SX P-bass and my dad's MIM Jazz. There is a difference, but none that makes an impact on the instrument's playability. They also have an excellent return policy and great customer service.

edit: They appear to be a little understocked right now (their stuff comes in batches), but the ones that are there are still good picks. I'd go for the LPB Jazz, personally.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Oct 22, 2009,