Hey I'm gonna be buying a new acoustic in about a months time and have pretty much narrowed it down to Seagulls (because they're great guitars for the price and they're Canadian-made). I ruled out the Entourage series, as I want a better quality guitar and I don't mind spending around 400-700 dollars. I was looking at the S6 cedar original, the coastline, the performer cutaway, and the maritime sws. I was wondering if anyone could tell me some things about these guitars. I'm shying away from the performer, because although I would prefer a cutaway, the pickups are unnecessary for my use.
Also, if anyone wants to recommend other guitars in this range I'm always open to suggestions. I'm a decent player (very few songs I cannot learn) and only play as a hobby. I play alot of classic and modern rock (more alternative/indie as opposed to heavier stuff).

Any information would be much appreciated,
thanks.
You sound like you know what you want, and know what you're on about. I think the only thing left is to get yourself down to a guitar shop and play as many in that price range you like, and buy the best one!
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Yea, i think you're pretty much past the point where anyone can tell you which guitar is best for you. You can go and play them all and get that feeling for yourself. My only recommendation is to check Craigslist in your area and see what kind of deals are going on. You can usually get 1000 dollar guitars for 500-650 if you wait it out and wait for good deals. But if you know what you want and want it now go try them out and buy what ya want.

Good luck and be sure to post pics when you get it.
It's not often that you'll find a guitar with a cutaway but no electronics, but you can find guitars with electronics and no cutaways more easily.

Is there any reason besides looks that you want a cutaway? It's not so common for an acoustic guitarist to go up that high, which is why I usually suggest non-cutaways.

Anyway... for a Seagull in that price range, I would suggest the new Solid Wood Series mini jumbo guitar. In my opinion, the mini jumbo has always been the best Seagull in terms of sound. The sound is always a bit more full and exciting to me.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
i have an original s6, and i'd recommend it to anyone looking for a dread in that price range. very good sound and built quality, and of it's too bright for your taste, silk and steel strings take the edge off that brightness very well.

i haven't yet been lucky enough to run across any of the sws series seagulls - or if i did, i didn't realize it. if they're made with the same quality as other seagulls, i would say they're very good guitars. definitely try 'em out.

why not try the entire line and see which you like?

i've also heard very good things about recording kings, and they are also a best bang for your buck guitar brand. they have an om sized guitar with mahogany back and sides that can be bought without a case for around $450 if you search, and the rosewood back and sides one for just a little more. finding these in stores is a challenge, although i've heard of sightings.

one last thought would be to try the best yamahas you can afford. i've found that every yamaha i tried is well made, sounds good and has a beautiful finish. they and seagull are probably two the most consistent brands around.
^ The Solid Wood Series has been out for less than half a year, so it's no surprise that a lot of people haven't tried them yet.
Equipment:

thanks for your opinions. i prefer cutaways just so if i need to play high up i can but its not that big of an issue to me. i would really prefer to have no electronics so i think im just gonna put the performer series aside. i think im also gonna put the maritime series aside as it is at the upper end of my budget and id rather try to hit the lower end of my budget.
So for me I guess it's gonna be between the s6 and the coastline, probably leaning towards the coastline as I've played both and prefer the coastline. Any recommendations b/t the cedar and spruce? and does anyone know the major differences b/t the coastline series and the original?

thanks for everyones help
The cedar has alot more warmth and can't take hard strumming well. Spruce is brighter and more precise and can take hard strumming much better.
Equipment:

The Maritime SWS are great. I gave one a little test run last time I was at a Guitar Center and was thoroughly impressed. I was glad to hear that the Spruce/Mahogany combo still retained that characteristic "Seagull Sound"
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
some of the coastline dreads have a gloss top and the "new compound-curve bracing system" where the s6 originals have a semi gloss top and traditional bracing. some of the coastlines have spruce tops. the original line only has 2 dreads - the coastline series has dreads, a cutaway electronics dread, a folk and a parlor.

the coastline folk and parlor guitars are the same materials and finish as the original s6. since those things are the same, i'd say that the original series would actually fit in as part of the coastline series.

Quote by davedavedave1
thanks for your opinions. i prefer cutaways just so if i need to play high up i can but its not that big of an issue to me. i would really prefer to have no electronics so i think im just gonna put the performer series aside. i think im also gonna put the maritime series aside as it is at the upper end of my budget and id rather try to hit the lower end of my budget.
So for me I guess it's gonna be between the s6 and the coastline, probably leaning towards the coastline as I've played both and prefer the coastline. Any recommendations b/t the cedar and spruce? and does anyone know the major differences b/t the coastline series and the original?

thanks for everyones help
I've got an S6 Cedar Original and it sounds really, really good. It's got a very clear and powerful voice. Personally I think the neck is a little bit too wide, but that's just me being so used to electrics. The sound isn't the warmest I've heard, but the power makes up for it I think.

In short, it's a really nice guitar. Again, I wouldn't have minded a thinner neck, but what the hell. :P
Last edited by Arzei at Oct 20, 2009,
the s6 original comes in the "slim" version with a thinner neck. personally i love the original s6 neck - great for finger picking and fills my hand perfectly and comfortably. nice easy frets, too.

Quote by Arzei
I've got an S6 Cedar Original and it sounds really, really good. It's got a very clear and powerful voice. Personally I think the neck is a little bit too wide, but that's just me being so used to electrics. The sound isn't the warmest I've heard, but the power makes up for it I think.

In short, it's a really nice guitar. Again, I wouldn't have minded a thinner neck, but what the hell. :P
Quote by patticake
the s6 original comes in the "slim" version with a thinner neck. personally i love the original s6 neck - great for finger picking and fills my hand perfectly and comfortably. nice easy frets, too.
Yes, I've seen the slim version. Never had a chance to try one though, and I wouldn't trade my Original for anything; it's as old as I am and I quite like it. Neck's alright, I really think I'm just far too used to the neck of an electric, as I've only recently started seriously playing acoustic.
the coastlines i just got has dyed back and side woods, while my original s6 has natural wood back and sides.