I'm seriously looking at buying the ENGL E-530 preamp, I love the sound of that preamp. Right now I'm using a 5150 combo, which is an amazing amp, but I just love the tightness I've heard with the E530.

Now my question is this, would I able to run the ENGL into the FX return on my 5150, bypassing the 5150 preamp, and essentially be using my 5150 (power amp and speakers) but with the ENGL preamp?

Also, the ENGL has a "Defeat" function, and what it basically does is completely bypasses the signal of the ENGL so if you have another preamp hooked up, it'll switch out with that. Would this be possible to use with the setup I'm looking to run with, slaving the 5150 as a poweramp and cab, so that if I wanted to, I could use the Peavey's preamp OR the ENGL's preamp?

Thanks for any help
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
I'm pretty sure you could. I run my POD into the FX return on my Dual rec and it seems to just work like a power amp so im sure its 100% transferable across to your peavey
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Ok thats good, now about the Defeat function I mentioned, will that work as I described it?

The preamp defeat funtion allows you do run a clear signal and bypass the preamp. If you had other preamps with a similar function it would work fine. The 5150 preamp does not have this feature though, you would need to make a loop or A/B box to get the same functionality if you wish to switch between the 5150 and engl preamp.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by Mark G
you would need to make a loop or A/B box to get the same functionality if you wish to switch between the 5150 and engl preamp.

+1
Quote by eyebanez333
+1

Ok sounds good. I'm not familiar with A/B boxes however, could you explain to me what they are, who makes them, etc.

And when you said make a loop, I'm going to assume you did not mean make a loop in the physical connection of the setup, what did you mean by that?

bump

No offense but if you don't know what a loop is or what an A/B box is this setup would be way too complicated for you.

The preamp defeat of the e530 basically allows you to choose if it affects your signal or not. An A/B box has 1 input for your guitar and two outputs to send to amps, and you can choose which one.

This would be an incredibly complex setup though. You'd need an A/B box for the e530 or 5150 use and you'd need to create an external loop to place the e530 in, IN the loop of the 5150 head. You'd have a loop in a loop! You'd be using 3 switches unless you go MIDI just to switch between the preamp. That, or tapdance.

You can't just use the preamp defeat and put it in the 5150 loop and call it a day. The e530 has only one physical input. You can't plug in the guitar and the 5150 at the same time. You might be able to pull it off with a Y connector but hell, this is so complex.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Oct 20, 2009,