I've been playing for about two and half years, and am looking to start gigging. The problem is that I have little experience with amps beyond my Fender 15R, and because of the distance of guitar stores from my house (and the irritating pushiness of salespeople when I DO get there), I don't get much opportunity to try different ones out.

Well, here's the layout of things. I play punk, alternative, prog-metal (Coheed and Cambria mainly), classic rock... well, sort of whatever sounds good to me. Those are just the main ones. My absolute max price is $600 USD. The places I'd be playing are mainly smaller clubs and bars, and most of them have decent PA systems.

So far I've been looking at Blackheart stacks, and they look and sound amazing, but I'm not sure the 15W Handsome Devil has the power necessary. Besides that, the others I've considered are the B-52 LS100 stack, the Raven RG100H stack, the Crate FW120HS stack, or a Fender FM100 head paired with either its matching 100w cab or a Raven RG412 with 260w for more headroom.

Sorry for the three imposing blocks of text up there. Could somebody please help me out?
My heart beats in 4/4, not the other way around.

Do your part. Join TVTropes.
You're probably better off going louder than you need because you can always turn down, but there's no up from 10. Plus 100w is nothing for getting over a drummer. Trust me, I'm a drummer .

Plus if you do go for a less powerful one, you limit yourself to playing in places that only have a PA. That's bad for the wallet.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Thank you. I'd heard a lot of good things about Blackheart, but I guess using one for much more than practice would mean getting the Hot Head. And my total budget doesn't even go high enough for the head.

If anyone can also give me recommendations for/against the above amps, or suggest a good alternative you've found, that would be great, too.

how about a Peavey valveking? a used one would be right in your budget (2x12 combo) you might get lucky and find a head, but then you would need a cab. the 2x12 (or 1x12) combo valveking seems like it would be right up your alley.
Well, If you want a decent amp, I'd suggest saving up for it. $600 is only £365, and that isn't a lot of cash at all (Musically speaking). I'd at least save till you have $1000, or more even.

It's better off saving and waiting, if you buy now you'll end up spending more in the long run by replacing your stuff at a later date.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

you really only need 30-50watts of power, especially if you are using a pa. And unless you really like carting around a massive half stack or are worried about people thinking you have a small/junk/cheap/whatever amp because it's not massive then you may want to look into combos also or at least a smaller cab like a 2x12

that said the Crate FW is a pretty good amp from what I hear. The Fender FM has gotten mixed reviews but it seems like something worth trying out, if it is as good as some people say it is then it could be a great amp, if not then you have other choices.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
The combo one? I always assumed that combos were, by nature, underpowered. Though, looking at the 212, it sounds pretty reasonable. And it's tube.
Thanks, I'll have to check that one out some more. The Guitar Center site says it has them in stock, so maybe I can run over and try one out.

Quote by justinb904
you really only need 30-50watts of power, especially if you are using a pa. And unless you really like carting around a massive half stack or are worried about people thinking you have a small/junk/cheap/whatever amp because it's not massive then you may want to look into combos also or at least a smaller cab like a 2x12

that said the Crate FW is a pretty good amp from what I hear. The Fender FM has gotten mixed reviews but it seems like something worth trying out, if it is as good as some people say it is then it could be a great amp, if not then you have other choices.

Thank you. I think I've gotten the information I need from you guys, although if anyone has something else important to add, it would be more than welcome.

Last edited by Alden Ashford at Oct 19, 2009,
Quote by Alden Ashford
The combo one? I always assumed that combos were, by nature, underpowered. Though, looking at the 212, it sounds pretty reasonable. And it's tube.
Thanks, I'll have to check that one out some more. The Guitar Center site says it has them in stock, so maybe I can run over and try one out.

Thank you. I think I've gotten the information I need from you guys, although if anyone has something else important to add, it would be more than welcome.

yeah GC usually has a VK sittin around. wether a head or a combo, they should have one there. And the 212 and the head have the same specs (99% positive on that one, minus the speakers and weight of course.) i guess the only downside you may have with the VK is i hear that alot of ppl mod the crap outta them before they find it "useable" . so you may end up spending just as much on a VK and modding it as you would for just a straight up combo/head that you dont need to do anything to it to make it what you want it to be.

that being said, alot of ppl here seem to like theirs for a budget tube amp.
Quote by Alden Ashford
The combo one? I always assumed that combos were, by nature, underpowered.

combos get a bad rap,
take the 6505 1x12 for example, it's under $600, 60watts tube and if you crank it on the gain channel it will blow your balls off no problem, and the difference in loudness between it and the full 120watt half stack is less then 15dB which ain't much, especially if you consider the price difference
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
600 you can find a lot of stuff used. I'd look for a 30-60 watt tube combo... maybe even a used 6150 or something like that.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
I say Vypyr Tube 60.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I've owned a FM100, no frills, not much for distortion, the clean was nice, nice for a cheap head, with a few pedals it will work, I've also owned a Crate GT1200 SS head much better than the fender, except the reverb on the crate was pretty much useless, good power very versital, 3 channel inexpensive Solid state head, distortion was good , not tube MB heavy but usable and better with a good pedal.
if your looking for solid state find a Peavey XXL very good power, very very versital, 3 channels with 3 distinctly different voicings per channel, the XXL is very substantial in it's sound quaility and it's physical quality.
chrome plated brass knobs, not plastic!
a few new ones can still be found but they want way too much

a descent cab new cab may put you over your budget
however there are so many good used choices well within your budget , craigslist e-bay whatever somewhere someone nees to get out of what they have for one reason or another.

I've had several Peavey amps, and had no issue with any of them even my sons 15 watt vypyr sounds good and full (in a small room) they hold up well sound good and can be purchased right. good luck
Midskier = Midwest American Skier Boats
Barefooter = Waterskier WITHOUT Skis
www.footngear.com