I'm doing it again. This december I will be receiving a fat check for the sum of $10,000 from my Uncle, and I have decided that I need to use it to get my ass back into some bass gear. I'm pretty hardcore devoted to building my own rack amp, and a power amp isn't something I'm especially worried about (power is power, right?). My big issue right now is getting the right preamp within monetary constraints. Also to a lesser extent a good 410 cab, but I think I can manage picking that out myself. I've narrowed the selection down to the Tech 21 Sansamp RBI or the BBE BMAX. Any experience with either of these? Pros or cons that I haven't already read about in Musiciansfiend reviews? As far as tone is concerned, for right now I'm in a strictly be-bop/cool jazz phase, but at any moment that can change to doom metal, poppunk, powerpop, country, or just straight up good ole punk rock.
I would still as i have always done recommend the RPM over the RPI simply for the extra mid control which i do think makes a difference.
I havent played through a BBE but ive heard loads of good things about them also, very transparent.

I lean towards the bbe more even though i haven't tried it. The RPI/RPM is more an extra i think to your preamp. While the BBe is a stand alone you know. Just MPO

Thought about the MM preamp if you feel like splashing out a bit, looks very nice.
Another great on to look for is a peavey preamp. Im trying to remember the name, a single unit like the others. great preamp, a tube in it for more warmth if you want and crunch, but still nicely transparent if thats needed. I think its a pro max or something.

A good 4x10-mesa, trace elliot, bergatino(sp?) bergatino being my first choice. Im a also a great fan of trace elliot speakers, they really know how to make a cab.
I defiantly advise a crossover if you decide to use other speakers apart from 10's.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
If the RPM has an extra mid control, that would definitely be what I would opt for. Your EQ options can never be too broad. I have always wanted to get a nice clear transparent sound from my amp, and still have the option of getting a dirty growl for some heavier tunes, but I don't think I can get the MM preamp. I know $10Gs seems like a lot, but I also have to buy a rack, power amp, cab(s), a bass and pay off my SS Camaro. I'm trying to keep the preamp cost to a $350 max. Have you ever heard anyone just using a Sansamp through a clean power amp (with no other preamp)? I haven't, but I'm also just getting back into the bass game after a fewe years absence. What about Acoustic cabs? What's the bang for the buck on those babys?
Pity you're not in the UK I've got an Ashdown John Entwistle RPM1 up for sale.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I'd almost be willing to cross the pond for that! What kind of return are you looking for on that, John?
from up above bumper thats why i would go for the BBE myself i reckon. If you have the money i would go for something better then an acoustic cab. Have you thought about trace elliot preamps, transparent, lots or control over the eq and a lot of growl.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I can't find any rackmount Trace Elliot preamps, but seeing as to how their combos cost more than a grand, I doubt I'll be able to afford it. Like I said, even though I'm getting a fat check I'm pretty limited on what I'll be able to afford because most of it has to go to other things. I might be able to up my expenditure a bit, because right now I'm thinking about selling the SS and buying a Fox body Mustang. We'll see if that ever happens though.... I want to spend about a thousand (hopefully less) on a stack, and about $500 on a new bass. I'm leaning towards the BBE preamp, Acoustic 410, and any PA power amp and rack case will do. How much do Trace Elliot preamps go for? Where can I buy one? Keep in mind that the nearest Guitar Center is four and half hours away, and local shops don't sell anything bigger than practice amps, so online is preetty much the way to go for me.
Suggest looking at the Yahama PB-1. Great reviews. True parametric EQ. Around $100-$200 used. Built like a TANK. Designed for rack-mounting. Very flexible built-in cross-over for bi-amping. Very happy with mine.
i would recomend the Bmax over the sansamp because it going to have a wider veriety of sounds. sansamp preamp doesent sound good by itself IMO.

also try looking for a ampeg SVP-pro preamp as far as i know they dont make them anymore but there are some floating around used if you know where to look.

please dont spend like 3 thousand dollars on bass gear do yourself a favor and spend that money on college or somehting more worthwhile. just my $00.02
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
^Most of the cash is already spoken for, I've only alloted about a $1-1500 for music gear. Uncle Sam has my college and grad school paid for and then some, so I'm not too worried about putting cash towards my education.

I think even a used SVP would be out of my price range, and I'm probably the only person in the world who isn't that into the whole Ampeg thing. Anyone played a Rocktron Blue Thunder preamp? I'm not opposed to modeling preamps, and this seems like a viable option, I just have no experience with Rocktron.
i only payed $300 for mine but i do know i got a killer deal.

i reccomend the Bmax-T its the most affordable tube preamp and you get the BBE sonic maximizer added in.

what are you planning on using as a power amp?
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
I'm probably going to pick up a Crown XLS 602D power amp. I'm going to have to up my price range, costs have skyrocketed since I bought any bass crap! Jeez, I remember when a Mexican Jazz bass was like $350! Am I that old? I'm sure John Swift bought his first J Bass by saving school lunch money for a week or two....
Trace elliot preamps around 150-300 depending on were you get one. There all second hand know though, so cheaper. Check ebay, craigslist the usual places.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Bumper
I'm probably going to pick up a Crown XLS 602D power amp. I'm going to have to up my price range, costs have skyrocketed since I bought any bass crap! Jeez, I remember when a Mexican Jazz bass was like $350! Am I that old? I'm sure John Swift bought his first J Bass by saving school lunch money for a week or two....
The first new Fender Jazz that I bought was this baby that I've posted before purchased in 1966 $168 USD/£105 Sterling. Sadly I no longer have it but the £3500 I got for it paid off the mortgage on my house.
Very few Fenders of that age still had the chromewhare that I was sensible enough to keep including the original screws.

G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Oct 21, 2009,
Quote by fatgoogle
Trace elliot preamps around 150-300 depending on were you get one. There all second hand know though, so cheaper. Check ebay, craigslist the usual places.

The Ashdown RPM improvement over the Trace was the variable crossover which goes way down to about 35hz, this made for brilliant flexibility when bi-amping.
The octave dowm is also a useful feature which adds some great grunge when playing 'Cream's' 'Sunshine of Your Love'
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Hey john, on my own personal interest and not TJ.

Can the ashdown preamp be put through two different channels of a poweramp to use the crossover with two different cabs, or is it more of a thing of setting a lower freq or something.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul