Hey all.

Im currently starting to learn music theory, im just a little bit into the topic, i'd say im past the first-timer "level", but still a beginner.

So i was looking around thomman and jazzguitar.be and i came across a few music theory / guitar technique/method and i was wondering.

1 - is it worth it to spend ~30$ on a book about said topics?

2 - if so, could you recommend me any?

I saw a few very positive reviews on "The Jazz Theory Book By Mark Levine" ,
"Music Theory For Guitar by Hal Leonard" and some other books, but before i make a decision i'd like to hear some opinions from you guys.

I actually intend to start making kind of a library of my own, about guitar playing and music in general, so maybe if you guys could suggest me a few books, i'd appreciate it
One thing I learned is that you need certain theory for a certain style.
At the moment I'm using a book called the Jazz language by Dan Hearle - it's used in 1st year music studies so it's a really good book.

That's the only book I know if your still a beginner (not even sure if it's a beginner book)
It's doesn't cover all the bases though (keys etc) but it might be useful.
i have music theory for guitar by hal leonard. solid book but gets confusing. I had to go online to understand some of the concepts
I've heard many good things about The Jazz Theory Book By Mark Levine, but i don't have it myself. I recommend a book called Training The Ear by Armen Donelian which is a great book for ear training. It doesn't teach much about theory though.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Thanks guys, very helpful replies so far

So the Hal Leonard book might not be the best choice for a first book i suppose :P

Charlie4, thanks for the suggestion, although im quite interested in some material about key signatures, since i find myself trying to improvise a lot of times, using the minor/major pentatonic scale (it's the only one i feel a little bit comfortable with ) and having some trouble fitting it into the song.

Keep the replies coming
The Mark Levine book is a great book, but it may be a little rough for someone just starting out learning theory. Another thing that may or may not matter to you is that it is not a guitar book, so the examples in the book are not written out in tab, they are in treble and bass clef. Despite the challenges, the book is packed with great information.
Jsepguitar that actually is quite a big setback :P I mean i understand how that works and i might be able to learn how to read sheet music (i believe thats the term?) but i just dont like it :P
I'd recommend theory books by Don Latarski. He leaves out all the boring useless crap and just puts in things guitarists would like to know. Preferably you'd have basic theory knowledge before reading these, though, because it may be difficult if it's your "first time" with theory.