Hey,
I recently bought a used ESP LTD EC-1000 that had Sperzel trim-locks on it and I was really happy with it. Yesterday I tried to restring it for the 1st time.

For people who don't really know how the trim-lock system works:
It has these screws on the back of each tuner that is used to push a locking pin against the string (when it's placed through the tuning post) so it gets locked (duh!).
That way you just have to pull the string through the tuning post instead of wrapping it around it.

But yesterday when I removed my 6th string out of the tuning post and wanted to put the new one in, I saw that the locking pin got stuck inside the tuning post and I can't pull the new string through it.

You guys get the point? I now it sounds complicated but I really need your help.
How can I get the pin loose again? Or should I just buy a new tuning knob?

Thanks in advance!
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Quote by forsaknazrael
I have these. And you loosened the locking mechanism enough? I find that with thicker guage trings, Sperzels have issues.

Yeah, I loosened it until the screw came off (I know I'm not supposed to do that).
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Well but I screwed it off just because I couldn't get the string through even when I screwed it loose enough.
Alright, I send a mail to them. What's the time in the USA atm?
quarter to 3 central, don't know where Sperzel is.

Anyway, I've had this happen before.

When you unlocked the tuner, it loosened enough for you to pull the string out, just not enough to get a new one in, right?

All the locking screw does is push a rod up the center of the tuning post. Sometimes it gets wedged up there. It's because your tuner is wearing out.

You can keep it going, probably for another few years.
Just get some graphite or 3 in 1 oil, and lube up the center a bit.
Best way to do this is with a toothpich. Use that same toothpick (sometimes a toothpick is too thick, use a pick (not a guitar pick, I mean the dentist type) instead) to push that rod back down.

Be sure the locking screw is on the tuner first! (on, but still loose).

That should take care of it for now.
It may do that every time, but you'll live for now.
Hey thanks man, I'll try that out!

EDIT: I've been trying it with rubbing massage oil over a toothpick and lube the pin in the tuner and then I've been trying to get it loose with a leftover of a string but still no success

any other options?
Last edited by K!nj! at Oct 21, 2009,