I have an esp ltd ec-256. Im considering taking out the stock pickups and replacing them with an emg-81 in the neck and an emg-89 in the bridge with single coil tapping.

Would this work out at all?

if not, what pickups should i use for a metal tone?

no budget btw
Quote by eyebanez333
What amp are you using?

I'm own a line 6 spider 3 75 watt

and an

Roland 30x

and

A peavey Vypyr
Why do you want to change pickups?

Honestly, I don't believe that active pickups sound that great. If you've never played them then I suggest you try out a guitar that has them first. But make sure you do it through YOUR amp.

I NEVER suggest to someone to change pickups in their guitars if they are unhappy with their tone. Instead, if they are unhappy with their tone, then usually the amp is a good place to start.

If you're happy with your tone, but are just looking to pick up more gain, then an overdrive pedal in front of your amp is not only a cheaper/better solution, but it'll also create more options for you regarding your tone.

If you're unhappy with the EQing of your sound and are not able to EQ it the way you'd like, (ie needs more bass etc.) then I would recommend picking up an EQ and running it in the effects loop of your amp (even a cheap behringer 7-band EQ makes a big difference and is only $20) This will be MUCH more noticable difference then pickups and you'll be able to tweak and tailor your tone to a much greater extent.

If you're happy with your tone, your amount of gain and your EQing only then would I suggest different pickups. However, if you're happy with your tone, gain and EQ then why in god's name would you want to change everything with different pickups?

Remember though, that there IS a difference between cheap pickups and quality pickups. But everyone should really take care of everything else and think of the pickups last.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Last edited by theraven871 at Oct 19, 2009,
Sell all 3 of your amps and buy a better one. Pickups aren't going to make those amps sound better, and the 81 sounds like ass in the neck IMO
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Not sure about the B52 halfstack but the blackouts definitely sound more natural then EMGs.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
if u want a hotter pickup than an active emg look at the bare knuckle warpig its awesome trust me
i agree sell those 3 amps and replace them with anything really would be an improvement
have a fiddle around with them and if your unhappy move on to an EQ pedal then pickups as the guy above me said amp eq then pickups pickups only help perfect your already sweet tone they won't make a shite one sound good only pick it up in great definition:P
As everyone else has suggested... sell all 3 of your practice amp and get a better one.

Also, active pups sound like poo through modellers.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.