Hey pit, I need to buy a suit and I have no idea what materials are considered decent for a suit. Also what style is better in your opinion, regular or slim? I have actually used the search bar and i could not find a previous thread with this question...thanks

inb4 cool story bro
inb4 Google
inb4 search bar
MY gear

Carvin DC 200
Crate GLX 200h
Monster Cable Rock
Dunlop Stubbys 3.0
MIsfits Skullbusters strings
You get what you pay for. Go to a store (Men's Warehouse, Macy's, whatever) and have it fitted to you.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
also, it doesnt count if you're naked HOLDING a suit. you should always put your suit on if you intend to wear it.
PAH!
Buy a birthday suit, the ladies will love it
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
Quote by jfreyvogel
Slim. Also a mans suit should never have more than three buttons, and the bottom one you don't use. More than three and your a woman or about a hundred years out of style.

What'd you say about more than three buttons?

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by jfreyvogel
Slim. Also a mans suit should never have more than three buttons, and the bottom one you don't use. More than three and your a woman or about a hundred years out of style.

Thanks for the advice. Any recommendation on the material?
MY gear

Carvin DC 200
Crate GLX 200h
Monster Cable Rock
Dunlop Stubbys 3.0
Whats the suit for? thats very important, and do not get a slim suit, just get one that fits well if your slim, there's a ****ing difference and its obvious when you end up looking like a twat.
Quote by sicx47h
Thanks for the advice. Any recommendation on the material?

It can be a tough call. Depends what you like, what you'll be doing in it, and when you want to wear it (seasonal, all year round, etc..)

Here's a link:

http://www.theguidetomenssuits.com/suit-fabric.html

**EDIT:

Quote by Pipsicles
Whats the suit for? thats very important, and do not get a slim suit, just get one that fits well if your slim, there's a ****ing difference and its obvious when you end up looking like a twat.

True. If you are asking about slim, I am assuming that a slim cut suit will fit you correctly. Have the people there measure you up.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Oct 19, 2009,
Buy a sexual harassment suit.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Buy a sexual harassment suit.

You can get those for free, just go down the bar and start grabbing titties.
Right mate. I'm going to give you a real solid answer here. I just bought my self two really nice suits from Man's Warehouse.

First of all, you need to ask your self if you're willing to pay extra money for custom-tailoring. I would highly recommend it because there's nothing worse than having a suit that is too baggy in the legs. I got my suits tailored, and they look great.

Next, you need to ask yourself what colour you like. Suits come in 3 main colours. Black, Navy Blue, and Dark Gray/Green.

Black being:

Navy blue being:

Dark gray/green being something like

The green suit is one of the suits that I have. Notice how there is a three-piece to it? As in, a vest, jacket, and slacks.

So, suits come in two main styles. With vests and without them. Vests are good because it gives you the ability to remove your jacket, and still have on a vest which gives a more professional look than just having a shirt under your jacket when the jacket is off. It also gives a more antique look, which can be good or it can be bad depending on what your going for. The good thing is that you can just not wear the vest if you like the suit.

Secondly, concerning the jacket, you have two main options. Single breasted, and double breasted.

Single breasted means that you only have one line of buttons on your jacket. Double breasted means that you have two lines of buttons on your jacket. They are common on overcoats, but not that common on suits because they're not in style as of now.

You also have the "vent" which is the little split that is either present or not present at the tail of the coat. The tail being the back of the jacket.

You also have the lapel, or the design of the collar on the jacket. I have yet to see a suit that is not a notched lapel. So don't concern yourself with this.

Moving onto the pants, you have what is called the pleats, or the little "creases" in the front part of the thigh on the pants. Most come in 2s or 3s or none. I personally don't mind either way, but I have a slight preference to no pleats at all. But one of my suits has a 2 pleat and the other has no pleats.

Now, the design of the jacket and the slacks can be grouped into several categories. You have the straight design, or solid design, which is a solid jacket with no stripes or checkered patterns. These are the most common.

Then you have pen striped suits, which come in thin striped, mid striped, and big striped girth. I personally liked small stripes, but I don't own a pin striped suit.

Next you have checkered patterns like the green suit that I showed you which is one of the suits that I own. They aren't that common, but aren't out of place. It's a nice unique design.

You also have designs like tiny little blue dots against a solid black suit which allow for the wearer to either accent the navy in the suit by wearing the appropriate tie/shirt combo or accent the black the same way. This my other suit is.

Let me type up the socks/shirt/tie tips now.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

wow, Weeping_deamon7 great guide by the way. I was thinking of going with a single breasted, solid color jacket. I am definitely going to go get a custom fit.

I am thinking about going with the three piece since it does give off a more professional look. Whats your opinion of a light gray suit?
MY gear

Carvin DC 200
Crate GLX 200h
Monster Cable Rock
Dunlop Stubbys 3.0
Last edited by sicx47h at Oct 19, 2009,
I've probably owned 10 different suits in my adult life and my favorite one is a Jones New York made of a materal called "shark skin," which is a wool and silk blend. It's a four-button jacket, which I really like the look of.
Hi, I'm Peter
Shirts come in two styles. Solid shirts or patterned shirts. I like solid shirts a lot more than I like patterned shirts.

Below is patterned versus solid.

vs.

Now, most shirts come in a combo with a tie, which is good because most good suit establishments pair them up really well. But what's great, is that you can buy separate ties for your shirts.

Good shirts are expensive, but it's worth the comfort and look.

As a general rule of thumb, I recommend having two shirts per suit when you first start out getting a suit. They should be one white, one blue shirt, and two other-colour shirts. For instance, I have a white, a blue, a cream, and I'm getting a maroon shirt when I can get the funds.

The tie pairings are almost unlimited. But ties come in solid or patterned styles. Never wear cartoon ties unless you're in a position where it is safe to do so.

Shoe wise, you have slip on dress shoes and tie-up shoes. I recommend tie shoes because they're more classic.

They typically come in brown or black. Always match your belt to the shoe you have. A really good brand is Rockport. I have a pair of Rockport brown shoes. Very comfy and sleek.

Socks should always match your jacket.

All in all, two suits, two dress shirts/ties, a pair of shoes, belts, a pack of green socks and a pack of blue socks cost plus the tailor and the unlimited cleaning cost me right at about 1,000USD. But I got a massive discount because it was buy one suit and get the next one at 100USD. And a 10% total discount for bringing in one used suit. But it's well worth it.

Any questions?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Last edited by Weeping_Demon7 at Oct 19, 2009,
Quote by sicx47h
wow, Weeping_deamon7 great guide by the way. I was thinking of going with a single breasted, solid color jacket. I am definitely going to go get a custom fit.

I am thinking about going with the three piece since it does give off a more professional look. Whats your opinion of a light gray suit?

Light gray? As in this?

or lighter?

I like my vest. What's good, is that I have one suit without a vest, and one with. But if you have the vest option, it's great because you can just take it out of the picture if you don't want to wear it that day.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

I was thinking more along the lines of the second one. In my opinion a lighter colored suit can be a more flexible choice for business or a special occasion clothing choice.
MY gear

Carvin DC 200
Crate GLX 200h
Monster Cable Rock
Dunlop Stubbys 3.0
Quote by sicx47h
I was thinking more along the lines of the second one. In my opinion a lighter colored suit can be a more flexible choice for business or a special occasion clothing choice.

Hmmm. Honestly, if that's what you want then go for it, but I think you should stick to getting a black or navy blue suit and then a gray or green suit. If you can just get one, then get a black or navy blue suit.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

I read somewhere that the first two suits should be a navy suit or a dark colored Grey since these are more of the "base" suits. I appreciate your thorough help by the way, thanks again!
MY gear

Carvin DC 200
Crate GLX 200h
Monster Cable Rock
Dunlop Stubbys 3.0
Quote by sicx47h
I read somewhere that the first two suits should be a navy suit or a dark colored Grey since these are more of the "base" suits. I appreciate your thorough help by the way, thanks again!

No problem. I like to talk about suits.

The darker gray is more practical in my opinion. Where do you live?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

I read this as "I need to buy a slut!"
Quote by PluckU
OH **** YOU says the computer, YOU MAY ONLY HAVE 1, READ IT, ONE AUDIO TRACK >:O I then i got pissed off and through my tuner against a wall
There is but one rule of buying a suit.

Always ensure the codpiece is over-compensating.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Go to a men's store. I go to TMB, but I'm sure are there are some small stores out there. Not a fan of big chains like jos. a banks, at least for suits. My salesman know why name, and he sold my dad his first suit 30 years ago. Hooks me up, very personalized experience. I only get summer wool suits/coats. Wool gets a little warmer but it makes a fine suit. Stretches too so you don't have to iron the pants, just hang them.

Every guy needs two suits: grey and navy. Three ties, and blue and white shirts. Ties should match any and all suit/shirt combos, especially if you're limited on the amount you can afford. Two nice suits are much better than four cheap ones, and they'll also last you longer. Really only like two button coats, but I don't wear vests very often.

Silk ties.100%. No other way. Some nice black shoes go well with both grey/navy suits, but your belt needs to match your shoe color. Doesn't have to but it should. Same with leather watch bands. If you've got a metal band it should match your belt buckle.

Shoes: don't know budget, but a pair allen edmonds will last you for years. Feel fantastic to boot. No blisters when you get into these.

I like park avenues or leeds.
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/product_480000_1_40000000001_-1?categoryId=120552&top_category=120552
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/product_590000_1_40000000001_-1?categoryId=120552&top_category=120552

Anyway, a good local place will hook you up, especially if you don't know what you want. They'll order everything, tailor it, measure you, and you won't feel like you're causing them a hassle. Men's Wearhouse has some nice options, but I really am not a big fan. Maybe I've been spoiled by being introduced to a nicer place before I went in there. Also gave me a tux that was too small for my prom and made a fuss when I came in and bitched about it.

Ps, you never button the bottom button on the jacket, unless you're at a funeral.
Last edited by pak1351 at Oct 19, 2009,
Meh. I like Men's Warehouse.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
Oh I'll buy a suit... a suit OF DRUGS!!!!

Epic Simpsons reference.
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.

Quote by zwound
Win

Quote by __Pent__

^^Too bad I can't do this in real life
Quote by pak1351
Some nice black shoes go well with both grey/navy suits, but your belt needs to match your shoe color.

I prefer brown with navy. Black + blue = bruise.
Hi, I'm Peter