Hey

I've set myself a very specific goal for my guitar playing, and it's to learn this by ear:

(play it from 4:50)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91SqLKGIN-A

Problem is, I've never tabbed out anything by ear before. I've got no training in this kind of thing what so ever.

I've gotta learn. I tried the site recommended in the Crusade articles and I didn't really understand a squat of how the site works.

Could someone either tell me how to work the ear trainer on

http://www.musictheory.net/

Or if there is some other way I could learn to hear this stuff?
Quote by blue_strat
Listen to note
Sing note
Find note on guitar
Next note

Out of curiosity, how long did it take to learn that way?

(I'm not unwilling to invest a lot of time, I'm just looking for the most efficient way).
Last edited by I like bacon at Oct 19, 2009,
Break it up into little sections that you can choose. Then for the first note, play a note you think matches it. See if it should be higher or lower and use guessing in frets down or up until you match it.

If it's too fast get the mp3 on Audacity and slow it down.
Quote by I like bacon
Out of curiosity, how long did it take to learn that way?

(I'm not unwilling to invest a lot of time, I'm just looking for the most efficient way).

Gets faster with time.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by metallinutter
Break it up into little sections that you can choose. Then for the first note, play a note you think matches it. See if it should be higher or lower and use guessing in frets down or up until you match it.

If it's too fast get the mp3 on Audacity and slow it down.

For reasons unknown, audacity fails extremely at playing the file correctly. It's all just one big blop of sound which scared the shit out of me the first time I heard it :S
If you need a good practice routine for ear training, I suggest getting a hold of the book Training The Ear by Armen Donelian.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Listen to it loads - and I mean loads, stick it on repeat on your ipod or whatever. Then start transcribing it like blue_strat and mettalinutter said - once its already stuck in your head so you know what it should sound like.
I can remember it fine actually. I can remember most songs after just 1-2 times listening through them.

I just gotta start practising remembering which notes are which.

Thanks for your help people, I'll give it a try.