Page 1 of 2
I got home ten minutes ago and my mom was home, which immediately told me something was wrong, because she's never home when I get home. She looked like she had been crying so I thought someone had been hurt, looking back they would have called me at school to tell me, and what she said got this reaction. She had got laid off from a job she got 3 or 4 months ago. We thought it was great back then she had gone to lunch with a friend and her boss, and by the end of the lunch she got a job offer, where she would get a better salary, and more vacation time, which is important because my step-dad lives in AZ due to him not being able to get a better job here. We should be good for a little while financially, but I'm still worried. My mom has a friend who's had a job open for my mom when she started working again after the cancer and when we she had to work two jobs so hopefully she'll be able to help out again. I've decided that I won't tell anyone but my 3 closest friends because I don't want to become 'that poor kid' at school. So pit, anyone else been laid off or had parents that were laid off?
That's terrible. Best of luck to your family.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
yeah my brother got laid off from a car factory 7 months ago and hes been mooching off my parents ever since kinda annoying
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
I laid your mom off once.

EDIT: That was terrible, I'm really sorry

thats ok i read the title as "My mom got laid" and i clicked it thinking it would be a very interesting thread...
Drop the gun, try to shake, away the blindfold from your eyes.

Step Back. Evaluate. Recognize.
my dad got laid off from Infineon coming up on a year we lost our eye care, i barely got loans for college, money is real tight for us. he's been at the same building for over 19 years getting a little over 100K not too bad, now he works at sears making $6.50 + commission.good luck man
Quote by nincompoop
potcorn56, you are a god.
Last edited by potcorn56 at Oct 19, 2009,
lots of people's parents have been laid off, including mine

everyone would be in a lot better shape around the world were it not for the U.S. government's shitty decisions
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
My grandpa got laid off from his factory job about a year after I moved in with him.

Since he'd been there thirty years, he got thousands of dollars worth of stock in the company and a pretty awesome pension settlement.

After all that he was still able to go into a workforce investment program and train to be a nurse. He made it through the program but never took it any further. He now does odd jobs and lives off of his pension.

Life's honestly been better since it happened, which is weird.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I suppose I'm lucky in a sense that my parents are both self employed, although it does make money stuff less regular.

My girlfriend's mother got made redundant recently, made even worse that she's a single mother with three kids. She managed to find more work in time, luckily. I suggest - TS - that you make sure your mum doesn't give up and gets searching for a new job immediately, try not to dwell on the loss.

You won't be known as the 'poor kid' at school anyway, unless it's an arsehole school. If you're lucky, you get a bit of sympathy.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Good luck to everyone else going through this crap.

Edit: The sympathy is actually why I won't tell anyone, I don't want to get treated differently just because I'm the only one who actually told people my mom got laid off.
Last edited by cornmancer at Oct 19, 2009,
Sorry to hear that

My mom actually switched jobs as an R.N. because she was being harassed by the supposedly psychotic new head nurse at the hospital where she's worked for 19 years. I think she would've been disciplined and lost her job had she stayed. I'm just glad she actually got another job.
My dad got laid off a little over a year ago from a job he'd be working for probably 35 years. He lost his severance pay a month before I started college as a freshman.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Quote by josh999x
It's the recession, were all struggling mate. Best of luck.

Except for me.

I have a job in a supermarket.

EDIT: I was struggling to find such a job for last 5 months though, so I guess my logic's not exactly impeccable!
My dad got laid off from his job, he had been working for this computer company since he was 16 [he is now 54] absolutely no loyalty within these firms... complete cunts
Quote by cornmancer
I got home ten minutes ago and my mom was home, which immediately told me something was wrong, because she's never home when I get home. She looked like she had been crying so I thought someone had been hurt, looking back they would have called me at school to tell me, and what she said got this reaction. She had got laid off from a job she got 3 or 4 months ago. We thought it was great back then she had gone to lunch with a friend and her boss, and by the end of the lunch she got a job offer, where she would get a better salary, and more vacation time, which is important because my step-dad lives in AZ due to him not being able to get a better job here. We should be good for a little while financially, but I'm still worried. My mom has a friend who's had a job open for my mom when she started working again after the cancer and when we she had to work two jobs so hopefully she'll be able to help out again. I've decided that I won't tell anyone but my 3 closest friends because I don't want to become 'that poor kid' at school. So pit, anyone else been laid off or had parents that were laid off?

Well now you'll be the poor kid in The Pit. Should of just told your real friends and never should of posted this in the Pit

Good luck though bro. My Dad got laid off for a while when i was little. it sucked. You'll make it through
Last edited by Guitarlord44 at Oct 19, 2009,
It's depression. It happens cyclically. It is impossible to avoid. It just sucks that it's happening right now.
Quote by Hotpunksk8rgirl
EWWWWW!!!!! Isn't a urethra another word for a female body part(vagina)??????? Perverted fishy.
Quote by technicolour
my girlfriend's dad got laid off. They had to move away. We broke up. Damn you capitalism!

Don't you mean "your girlfriend's dad got laid"?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by cornmancer
I've decided that I won't tell anyone but my 3 closest friends

And the entire Pit!!!!!!

But all seriousness aside, I feel for you man. I was always the poor kid growing up. My parents were always either quitting their jobs or getting laid off or fired or something... It sucks. But the world has a funny way of fixing things right when it seems like theres no hope. Just give it some time and help your mom out as much as possible. Y'all will get through it...
I feel that, my dad was just laid off. Apparently the company is laying off it's older and more experienced employees and hiring young ones they don't have to pay as much.
Quote by cornmancer
Good luck to everyone else going through this crap.

Edit: The sympathy is actually why I won't tell anyone, I don't want to get treated differently just because I'm the only one who actually told people my mom got laid off.

Well, you will get it regardless.

So, why did she get laid off?
I was laid off most of the summer. I'm back to work now but I don't expect it to last long.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I got a job at the moment, but like 50 people at that company just got laid off and I have no idea how much work I'll get from now on as I'm just called in whenever I'm needed.
Man I'm lucky. I work in the food industry. Guarenteed work, but bad pay =\.

But in these times, money is money I guess.
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
Hey man, hang in there; it'll be fine *insert really helpful comment here*.
Just remember-you don't always need money. There's plenty of free pr0n on the interwebz.
And to answer your question: My dad started the company, owns it, and is probably gonna sell it in two or so years. so he really can't get laid off.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
Quote by blackthought
My dad's getting laid off, and he's been working up there for close to 20 years.

At least AIG executives aren't missing any paychecks. Thank God for that.

I don't know I heard about some poor man who had to take a pay cut and now he only gets $5,000,000 a year.

Quote by severed-metal
Well, you will get it regardless.

So, why did she get laid off?

I'm not sure, I guess they were just cutting the new people or something. She worked for the county, so I guess if money's getting tight up there we've got more bad news coming.
Last edited by cornmancer at Oct 19, 2009,
that has to be scary
if my mom got laid off we'd be screwed
"Life is an obscure hobo bumming a ride on the omnibus of art."
Both my parents were laid off last month. We still don't know what we're going to do.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
My dad's self-employed and I've gotten used to our finances being completely schizophrenic. One month he could make $40,000 and the next he could make $4,000. We've had to move three times in the last two years cause we couldn't afford to live in the house we were in.

You kinda get used to it.
I was going to suggest Unemployment.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
It doesnt suprise me mate, my mum's a disabilitly nurse who worked at the same place for for 15 years and then got sacked because she got in a mini van that wasn't even filled to capacity.

I work on a farm at the moment and I've been made very aware by the farmer that he can only keep me on a couple of more weeks - this was the first job I've GENUANLLY enjoyed and its a shame I have to leave because milk sales are not good at the moment.

If you work for a big company (My mum worked for NHS...enough said) They're trying to find any excuse to sack you now days - Understandebly but still - My mum is a single parent with 3 kids (Including me but I dont live with her anymore) and componys don't read into people, just figures.
Gear:

Squire Fat Stratocaster (Gotoh Pickups)
Marshall 50 DFX amplifier
Marshall Guv'nor II Distortion Pedal
Jim Dunlop Standard Cry Baby
Vintage VS6
My dad got laid off a few years ago. He's been working as a hobby professor, mainly with weather ballons and even went to Wife Swap twice. It's kind of a drag to see your parents on that shit.
Page 1 of 2