i recently changed the strings on my acoustic. it came with .011 gauge strings and i usually replace them with the same gauge.

however, this time i decided to try .010 gauge strings to see if i liked the feel, and the intonation has drastically changed. the guitar gets more and more out of tune as i go up the neck.

is this a result of the new gauge of strings? and if i go back to .011 will it go straight back to normal? cheers
Fender Mexican Stratocaster - 3 tone Sunburst
Fender Soronan - Lake Placid Blue
Fender FM210
Boss DS-2
Boss CE-5
Boss OD-3
Dunlop Cry Baby
Fender PT100
Hmm. That shouldn't happen... especially from 11's to 10's. Now maybe 11's to 13's, but that's not the case. I would just go back to 11's.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
i changed from 11s to 10s and my intonation didn't change. my husband has all his guitars using 10s and no intonation problems there, either, although he did have to adjust the truss rod on one to increase the neck relief a tiny bit. you could always switch the strings back and see what happens.

is it possible you gave your saddle a bump while the strings were off and now it's not seated right?
could be i suppose. i'll go and pick up some 11's tomorrow, and if there is no change i shall look further into it. thanks for all the help
Fender Mexican Stratocaster - 3 tone Sunburst
Fender Soronan - Lake Placid Blue
Fender FM210
Boss DS-2
Boss CE-5
Boss OD-3
Dunlop Cry Baby
Fender PT100
It could be that the intonation is off because you're pressing harder than you need to. 11's have more tension than 10's, so you may be still fretting as hard as you would need to for 11's, but too much for the 10's.

As well, the action has probably risen by changing from 11's to 10's. Sometimes, higher action will also make the intonation go off because you may be fretting at a different strength than needed/required.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Yea I kinda agree with captivate, the action can definitly change the intonation but how would pushing harder make any difference???
I've got all this ringing in my ears but nothing on my fingers---
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
XDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXD
it would allow the string to push further down, even all the way to the wood, where one usually wouldn't push that far down. that would mean stretching the string further.

Quote by WaimoMan182
Yea I kinda agree with captivate, the action can definitly change the intonation but how would pushing harder make any difference???
Also, pushing too hard will make the string sound sharp. When you fret, you should only push down JUST enough so that it doesn't buzz.Nothing more.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.