When i play like slowly and carefully think about it i like move my wrist alot and not my shoulder and im happy doing this becuase it doesnt hurt or anything like that which is great. The problem is when i want to get fast i revert back to tensing my arm up and my shoulder hurts and i move my wrist less. The question im asking is do i jsut keep practising the first way slowly and work up speed or what? i dont know if my technique is wrong. i know it sounds like a stupid questin but any help would be great thanks
You pretty much got it: start slow, and work your way up to speed.

Never pick from the elbow, and certainly never tense up: great way to cause damage
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Yup. Start at 120 bpm then go 140, 180, 220.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
Quote by systemofthesun
When i play like slowly and carefully think about it i like move my wrist alot and not my shoulder and im happy doing this becuase it doesnt hurt or anything like that which is great. The problem is when i want to get fast i revert back to tensing my arm up and my shoulder hurts and i move my wrist less. The question im asking is do i jsut keep practising the first way slowly and work up speed or what? i dont know if my technique is wrong. i know it sounds like a stupid questin but any help would be great thanks

Yeah just practice. Keep picking from your wrist. Only use your elbow when you are changing strings. Picking power is from the wrist, hand location is from the elbow.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Yeah just practice. Keep picking from your wrist. Only use your elbow when you are changing strings. Picking power is from the wrist, hand location is from the elbow.

He pretty much said it all. Just get lots (as in LOTS) of practice in at slow to medium speeds, and eventually the habit of picking from the wrist will become strong enough that you'll continue to do it when playing fast.
Quote by Junior#1

I would like to clarify that by saying that picking SPEED is from the wrist (because it's more flexable), but picking POWER have to come from the elbow- because this is where your muscles are! Trying to put too much "power" through the wrist motion can cause you injury.

Other than that I agree
Using your wrist allows the best control; I also use the small Fender Jazz picks (heavy), that allows you to keep close to the strings for control and speed. (see http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-358-Jazz-Pick-Shell?sku=110550), you will find this is much better in the long run.

This pick also makes a power sound much closer to the regular picking technique - that is, you don't have to make a very drastic change. Anyway, that's been my preference.
Last edited by HCM at Oct 20, 2009,
Slow it all down and analyze your playing more. Observe closely what your right hand is doing while increasing tempo very VERY slowly. You will be able to easily identify the point at which your elbow kicks in. Practice at a slower speed until its comfortable and then start raising it over time. Be patient with yourself and don't injure your hand.

Good luck.