Hey guys I'm gonna be right to the point on this. I got my squier strat, and slowly but surely I'm trying to make it better. The next thing I want to do is install locking tuners. Which brand of locking tuners would be the most compatible with the Squier Strats?
I believe just about any tuners will be compatible.

Except Sperzels (which I prefer) because you have to drill a small hole for them.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by blindsagacity
I believe just about any tuners will be compatible.

Except Sperzels (which I prefer) because you have to drill a small hole for them.

Thanks!

Yeah I really wanted to purchase sperxels, but I really dont have the extra money to pay someone to install them the correct way, and I dont want to ruin my headstock, you know?
I just installed locking tuners on my Squier affinity Strat. The problem you're going to run into is that the factory peghead holes are too small to fit most of your aftermarket tuners, which are 10mm in diameter.

I actually took a chance and bought GFS' Gotoh/Schaller copy tuners. I really couldn't be happier with them. The fit and finish was really good on them. They have the thumb screw locking mechanism on the bottom and work really well. I decided to go with those because I just couldn't justify spending $60+ for tuners on my $150 guitar, but that's just me.

My advice is to just bite the bullet and drill the holes for the new tuners. I did it myself and it's simple. Just get a good sharp 25/64" drill bit, clamp the neck or get someone to hold it for you, chuck that bit in a drill press (if you have one), or do like I did and just use a 12 volt power drill. The pre-drilled holes act as pilot holes.

Now you can get tuners to fit the stock holes, but I don't think you'll be able to find locking tuners like you want.

Oh, and here's a link to the tuners I bought. If you would like to see some pics and look at some informative links about installing tuners, click on the link in my signature and go to page 3.

GFS locking tuners
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
Quote by ATLstang
I just installed locking tuners on my Squier affinity Strat. The problem you're going to run into is that the factory peghead holes are too small to fit most of your aftermarket tuners, which are 10mm in diameter.

I actually took a chance and bought GFS' Gotoh/Schaller copy tuners. I really couldn't be happier with them. The fit and finish was really good on them. They have the thumb screw locking mechanism on the bottom and work really well. I decided to go with those because I just couldn't justify spending $60+ for tuners on my $150 guitar, but that's just me.

My advice is to just bite the bullet and drill the holes for the new tuners. I did it myself and it's simple. Just get a good sharp 25/64" drill bit, clamp the neck or get someone to hold it for you, chuck that bit in a drill press (if you have one), or do like I did and just use a 12 volt power drill. The pre-drilled holes act as pilot holes.

Now you can get tuners to fit the stock holes, but I don't think you'll be able to find locking tuners like you want.

Oh, and here's a link to the tuners I bought. If you would like to see some pics and look at some informative links about installing tuners, click on the link in my signature and go to page 3.

GFS locking tuners

Thank you! I'm gonna go with these, they are exactly what I'm looking for. So its really not all that difficult to drill the holes bigger? that is my only concern. i just dont want to mess anything up, because I honestly can't afford another $150 strat at the moment. :/
Last edited by 1201ZJ at Oct 19, 2009,
Quote by 1201ZJ
Thank you! I'm gonna go with these, they are exactly what I'm looking for. So its really not all that difficult to drill the holes bigger? that is my only concern. i just dont want to mess anything up, because I honestly can't afford another $150 strat at the moment. :/

Just be careful with it and it will be fine. If you're not comfortable drilling the holes and don't want to go to a luthier, maybe a cheaper alternative would be to maybe see if a building company, machine shop, hardware store, or something in that league would drill 6 holes for you. I don't know if you have anything like that in your area, I'm just throwing out ideas. Those tuners are nice, but I don't want to encourage you to do something you're not fully comfortable with. I think you'll be fine, but you do run the risk of messing up something.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV