Hey guys, I've been perusing the Official Metal Recommendation thread, but I find myself a bit overwhelmed. I'm looking for some personal recommendations for metal bands/albums to get into, and I was wondering if some vets of the genre could offer some suggestions.

Some ideas for anyone who can help out:

-When it comes to early(ish) metal, I like Metallica's early albums (Master of Puppets...), Queensryche's Operation:Mindcrime, etc. I recently bought Painkiller by Judas Priest, and while I could listen to the title track on repeat forever, I found the rest of the album didn't quite measure up.

-As far as power/progressive metal goes, I've checked out Iced Earth, Stratovarius, Kamelot, and Dream Theater, but nothing I absolutely fell in love with. The constant double bass-drum across songs gets to be a bit much.

-I really liked certain songs off of The Jester Race by In Flames (esp. Moonshield), I especially like the contrasting dynamics. I also bought The Chainheart Machine by Soilwork, but I don't know if that was a great entry point for melodeath.

-My friend lent me Bloody Kisses by Type O Negative, which I recall enjoying a great deal, especially "Christian Woman."

-Anything with good lyrics is a definite plus.

Sorry for rambling on here a bit, but thanks beforehand to anyone who can help me out.
So you actually went through the rec thread, and then posted another one?

You can, you know, post in the original rec thread for a specific request.
*headdesk*

In the Official thread you ask exactly this sort of question, and you'll get an answer. Hence why it's such a huge thread, it's all requests and answers.

Time for a quick copy and paste, bruddah.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Check out Symphony X
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
Why do you think it's got so many pages, everyone just going in there to congratulate whoever wrote that list? Go in there and ask, that's exactly what it's for.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand