I've been playing since late March, though not very seriously, but have made all right progress in that time. However, lately, I've had no motivation to play or learn anything. I enjoy guitar, and would like to keep it up, but I can honestly see myself giving it up.

Does any one have any tips or advice that could help me?

Thank you
Get a band and practise your favourite songs with them.
Listen to more bands and wish you could play that well.
Watch youtube videos of annoyingly good guitarists and aim to be like them.
topic`s been covered loads of times use the searchbar

listen to new music genre`s, you`ve not been playing long and there`s loads to learn, take a short break (week max) away from guitar and come back fresh occasionally helps...what are you currently listening to that way we can suggest alternatives that will spread the horizon a bit.
I usually watch a few slash videos and that gets me motivated again, try watching a few videos of your fave guitaist, might help
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Quote by ibanezgod1973

listen to new music genre`s, you`ve not been playing long and there`s loads to learn, take a short break (week max) away from guitar and come back fresh occasionally helps...what are you currently listening to that way we can suggest alternatives that will spread the horizon a bit.
This helps a lot IMO. And really, it kind of applys to anything. I hate to bring video games into the topic, but when I used to play them, I would take a break from the game, and all of a sudden, when I returned, I was great at the game.

When's the last time you listened to your favourite genre of music? Chances are it's been a long time. This sometimes happens to me as well. I wouldn't listen to thrash metal for such a long time, and I didn't want to play as much as when I was listening regularly. However, when I heard a classic thrash song, either from a new band or an old band, I instantly wanted to pick up my guitar and start writing.
Quote by ibanezgod1973

Oops, soz, completely forgot

I've listen mostly to metalcore and thrash metal, and thus play that. Been really into Children Of Bodom and Pantera the past couple days, but I also really like Trivium, Metallica, Mercyful Fate, Sepultura and Slipknot. Stuff like that.

I would like to start a band, or even just jam, with a couple of mates, but the only friends I have that play instruments have played for ALOT longer than I, and constantly put down my playing, forgetting how long I've been playing.
Quote by robhc

I've listen mostly to metalcore and thrash metal, and thus play that. Been really into Children Of Bodom and Pantera the past couple days, but I also really like Trivium, Metallica, Mercyful Fate, Sepultura and Slipknot. Stuff like that.

I would like to start a band, or even just jam, with a couple of mates, but the only friends I have that play instruments have played for ALOT longer than I, and constantly put down my playing, forgetting how long I've been playing.

I say expand the horizons, listen to Prog
Quote by robhc

Ignore putdowns. Generally, when people say put-downs or criticize unfairly, they're most likely jealous of you. I've had many people say crap about me, only to admit to me one year later they were just saying crap to hide there real feelings.
Quote by TomG10-7
I usually watch a few slash videos and that gets me motivated again, try watching a few videos of your fave guitaist, might help

This does it for me only it's Hendrix and Frusciante I'm watching.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
yep listening to that garbage would turn off anyone

look up eric johnson,steve vai and joe satriani........learn something a bit more melodic.

ignore those put downs, they were just like you at 1 time.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Oct 19, 2009,
Quote by ibanezgod1973

look up eric johnson,steve vai and joe satriani........learn something a bit more melodic.

Oh the irony
buy something! works every time for me
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Quote by ibanezgod1973

Any other recommendations similar to Eric Johnson or Steve Vai. I like them. I don't care for Joe Satriani though. I like one or two of his songs, but not many others.

buy something! works every time for me

I'm should be getting a 7-string with my birthday money in February, if I get enough. Or before, if I can get a job (unlikely, been looking for two years...), so hoping that helps.
look up jason becker, andy timmons, buckethead, vinnie moore, i'll think up a few more in a bit

edit: warning though, after hearing becker you just might give up guitar altogether...he was that good
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

It sounds lame, but I watch youtube covers, if they're crap, i feel better about my playing, if they're good, it inspires me in a way, they aren't amazing most of the time, so it makes me feel like it won't take me long to get there.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
Go to the Guitar Store, pickup a really nice guitar and play it.

Plus, you can watch kids doing badly at doing it=More self esteem for you like Gigatiran said.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
What got me motivated? Guitar Hero. I wanted that game so bad, then someone pointed out....ay, you can play for real. duh...been playing ever since. Staying motivated...like it's been said, listen to different kinds of music or stuff that you are VERY passionate about. Gets me every time. Good luck.
Yesterday is History; Tomorrow is a Mystery; but Today is a Gift; That is why it is called The Present.
what do you mean you don`t like satch

if it wasn`t for satch; vai, hammet, skolnick and a host of other top players would be nothing, satch taught these guys how to play.

vai didn`t even have strings on a beat up acoustic for his 1st lesson with satch.

end rant......

listen to what you enjoy, when you feel the guitar calling you pick it up.
Quote by ibanezgod1973

if it wasn`t for satch; vai, hammet, skolnick and a host of other top players would be nothing, satch taught these guys how to play.

vai didn`t even have strings on a beat up acoustic for his 1st lesson with satch.

end rant......

listen to what you enjoy, when you feel the guitar calling you pick it up.

I guess I should go back in time and tell Satch to never play guitar then
Quote by ibanezgod1973

end rant......

+1
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE

I second everyone who said branch out into different styles or artists. Another thing you should do instead of just learning songs, pick out parts of songs that you really like and then analyze it to understand why you like it. For example, you love rhythm A because of the specific chord progression or you love lick B because it utilizes trills. I find that helps me a great deal when I feel my playing is becomming stale and boring.

Another thing I like to do is pick out a scale I'm not familiar with and come up with licks or riffs strictly inside that scale.
can't beleive no one said this BUY A NEW GUITAR!

I just picked up an ALEXI-600 cause i'm a fanboy and i can't wait to get home and play it!
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Gundamnitpete
can't beleive no one said this BUY A NEW GUITAR!

I just picked up an ALEXI-600 cause i'm a fanboy and i can't wait to get home and play it!

when you can`t be bothered washing your car do you go and buy a new one...
+1
Yesterday is History; Tomorrow is a Mystery; but Today is a Gift; That is why it is called The Present.
1. Set a huge goal like a Gibson Les Paul or a PRS Custom 24. And actually try for it. I'm not sure if this'll work, but it'll make you work harder based on what I've done to myself.
2. Get in a band with better musicians and/or jam. Trying to keep up with everyone else will push you to your limits, and the only thing that can come from that is going beyond your current limits.
3. Listen to more melodic music. Not saying to get rid of all your current music, but listening to stuff that's fun but more challenging than drop-tuned powerchords until a solo.
4. Listen to musicians other than guitarists. I love organists and saxophonists, so I would often grab saxophone and piano books when I worked in a music shop, take them into the back room during my breaks, scan their equivalents of scales and try to apply them to my guitar playing. It sounds kind of odd, but it pushes you to do things on the instrument that were optimized for another instrument.
5. Stick with it. For a while I did it as a choreish kind of thing. Then I saw Tom Petty play the superbowl halftime show, and realized that was what I wanted to do with my life. And as unlikely as that is, to the point I have multiple fallbacks in place if music doesn't work out, overnight that made practicing go from a chore to something I couldn't get enough of doing. Keep playing and inspiration will hit you like a cannonball.
6. Go to a concert. There's nothing quite as inspiring to me as seeing a fellow guitarist up there beating the crap out of their instrument, making it howl and making everyone have a good time to make you want to work harder.
7. Get a nice guitar. Kind of subverts #1, but a better guitar fosters better playing, and really, on a crappy guitar that's going out of tune and squealing more than Zakk Wylde when you plug in, you're not going to want to continue. On even something not too expensive like a Fender standard series, it'll feel much better, actually stay in tune, and make you want to play because the playing feels and sounds good.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by ibanezgod1973

when you can`t be bothered washing your car do you go and buy a new one...

hey man it's just a suggestion. I like play alot of different guitars in different tunings and using different tones. When my guitar sounds a certain way it inspires me. If i wanna play metal i plug up the metal setup. rock/pop-rock, i plug that up. jazz etc.etc.etc.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's