First off, I'm not sure if I should be posting this here. Soooo, I'm very sorry if I shouldn't be.

Now for my question. I wanna start learning scales and all that but I'm not sure were to start. Now, I wanna learn the scales and the theory I should say? Or what music they go with? I'm not exactly sure of what I'm looking for but a guitar friend of mine told me to learn scales and how they're used. So I'm not sure... I think he said all scales belong to certain styles of music like blues scales and such. Maybe I'm looking for this?

All help is appreciated and super sorry I'm not sure what it's called. I'll understand if none of you know what I'm talking about. lol
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Most genres of music have certain scales that are favored.
But some music can use just about any scale.
Different scales and modes have different feels to them. You should learn them and analyze how they sound so you can easily apply them when you're going for a certain feel. It really makes playing (especially improvising) easier.
Quote by ibanez87
Most genres of music have certain scales that are favored.
But some music can use just about any scale.
Different scales and modes have different feels to them. You should learn them and analyze how they sound so you can easily apply them when you're going for a certain feel. It really makes playing (especially improvising) easier.

Oh yeas, all that was pretty helpful and made me understand a bit more.
I have a question, what is there to learn? I know scales are made up of notes but he told me elarning scales' notes isn't going to be very helpful. I can't think of what he said but there's something about each scale that does something he said.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
well i think its a good idea to start out with the c major scale. from that eventually you can do any scale in any key once you learn all your modes and such
Start with the major scale - and learn it so you understand how its constructed in terms of steps (WWHWWWH), notes (eg C Maj = C D E F G A B) and intervals from the root (root, maj 2nd, maj 3rd, perfect 4th...etc). You can derive pretty much any other scale you'll need from the Major scale, so learn it properly and you've done the hard work for all scales really.
Start off with the major scale in any key you like. Understand how the major scale is arrived at in terms of the intervals between the notes making up the scale. From there you will be better able to approach the various modes (including the minor scale which is simply a mode of the major scale) and you will be able to learn their applicability based on the unique sound of each. But start at the major scale and know it well. Then minor then pentatonic then all others. Subtle changes to these two result in 'other scales'. Hope this helps.
My advice would be to start with the major scale, as zhilla suggests, because that's a good starting point to learn scales. Then maybe learn the major and minor pentatonic scales, but I wouldn't explore other scales until you learn how to use the major and pentatonic scales in an improv situation. Get comfortable with those first before moving on to other scales and modes. There's more to learning a scale that just learning what notes are in them or where the pattern is on the guitar. If you just learn a bunch of scales and modes without knowing how to use them, it's useless.
all you need to learn really is major, minor and pentatonic scales. arpeggios, and your chords. i just add chromatics to these scales i know. i know a lot of people who spend hours everyday just running up and down lots of scales they don't need or will never use.
it doesn't sound like music when they play.

then i know people who just know the basics i.e majors, minors, pentatonics with blue notes and arpeggios and they make amazing music by playing with feeling and using their ear to tell them if it sounds good.

in my opinion the best way to learn music is to listen. Jimi Hendrix, Slash, BB king, Neil Young all didn't study theory. they played with their ears.
so when people tell you, you can't be a great artist without theory, it's bollocks.

musics about expression and all the silly rules of theory like you can only use these notes here for instance is shit.

another good thing to remeber is. you can't really learn a style of music from a book can you? i mean you couldn't learn to speak french without hearing someone speak it.
same goes with music you couldn't learn jazz by looking at a billion pages of how to use the scales without hearing what kind of feel or rhythm the music has.
He told you to learn scales but then said learning the notes in every scale isn't going to be helpful?

If he said this he's stupid. Learning the notes in every major scale enables you to build chords and basically gives you the outlet to figure out every other kind of scale. Learn the 'Circle of Fifths'.