whenever i alternate strum on the top three strings (thinnest), the bottom part of my thumb hits the strings. I have no clue how to explain it but..

Aren't you supposed to rest your picking hand on the strings you aren't using? therefor i would expect my lower thumb to rub against the strings but now its starting to hurt and peel and get in the way of my playing and i have no clue what im doing or supposed to do it seems :/
u should not have ur thumb rested on strings that would be anchoring, technically wise, but its more about whats comfortable, however u obviously dont know how to hold a pick. curl in your index finger, and position the pic so the point sitcks out over the side with the nail, then grip with your thumb, if ur holding a pick properly ur thumb wont get in the way
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
I know how to hold a pick, that's exactly how I hold it.

(I actually used to hold it the three fingered way but converted a few months ago and it is much more comfortable, so i think im holding it the right way now)

But wait.. your not supposed to rest your hand on the strings you arent using? thats what every guitar teacher has done and told me to do, so would that be why my lower thumb is brushing the strings?
Quote by CrimsonSwirl
I know how to hold a pick, that's exactly how I hold it.

(I actually used to hold it the three fingered way but converted a few months ago and it is much more comfortable, so i think im holding it the right way now)

But wait.. your not supposed to rest your hand on the strings you arent using? thats what every guitar teacher has done and told me to do, so would that be why my lower thumb is brushing the strings?

No that's right. You should have the bottom part of your palm touching the strings you're not using to mute them. I don't exactly know what you mean by the "bottom part of your thumb" keeps hitting the strings. Could you try explaining better or post some pictures or something?
I hate my sig
Are you using a Jazz III? Because those are very small, and I always accidentally do pinch harmonics on it (Maybe Zakk Wylde has the same problem )
Ok now im just plain confused. ive done some research, and, apparently what i am doing is anchoring. I always thought anchoring was just using your pinky on the pickguard but apparently there are tons more types of anchoring and what I do (resting my hand on the strings and bridge) is one type.

I want to try to "not" anchor. But I have no clue how not to anchor. Do lift up my entire arm so that I'm not touching the guitar at all? Do touch the edge of the guitar but not touch the bridge/strings? Can I rest my palm on the face of the guitar right above the strings? Is it even possible to rest your palm on the face of your guitar right above the strings and still be able to pick the 1st string?

Not entirely sure what to do. I can't explain or post pictures of my thumb problem so I'd like to try out unanchoring to see what that'll do but I'd like someone to tell me about it.
Quote by darkcheef
Are you using a Jazz III? Because those are very small, and I always accidentally do pinch harmonics on it (Maybe Zakk Wylde has the same problem )

No I'm using Gator Grips. I'd like to try out Jazz III's but no stores near me have even heard of them.
It's hard to understand what you mean, but my thumb brushes up against strings all the time. It's because I have only a small part of the pick sticking out and in order for my thumb not to touch any strings I would have to sort of lay my pick down on an odd angle.

Guthrie govan mentions touching strings with your thumb to mute strings and I think it's fine, freepower mentions it in his muting video (check it out in the sticky). The problem with your case is that you must be actively pushing down on the strings with your thumb in order for it to hurt and peel. That probably means you're anchoring at the bridge a bit, and actively pushing down with your hand. Read the sticky or do a search for more info on anchoring.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
It is perfectly fine to use your picking hand thumb to mute unwanted string noise. I can't imagine playing without that ability.

OP: If it starts to hurt, you are doing something terribly wrong. Slow down your playing and analyze it. If possible, record a video and post it in the technique thread.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
Thing is, im gonna flat out say it, I don't use my hand on the strings/bridge for muting. (well it does mute extra noise, but that's not the reason I do it) I do it for stability. So I'm anchoring. And I've found out thats why my thumb is hurting because when im anchoring and move my thumb to pick it hits the strings a lot harder and deeper than I should.

I guess ill need to find out how to "unanchor" and work at that thanks

EDIT: Alright, someone delete/lock this thread up. I really should've read the sticky first and didn't realize how many threads like this were here before. The sticky really helped. Although your not here thanks Freepower! And of course everyone who replied.
Last edited by CrimsonSwirl at Oct 20, 2009,