Hey Ive been playing guitar for two and a half years and my girlfriend was looking to get her own bass for christmas, and my friend lent me his for a month or two so far until that time comes to see if she wants it after that. Ive taught her a few things, dazed and confused she got today, but she doesnt like to play much because of how uncomfortable my friends bass is. He has a Kramer ...i think its a striker? Idk, its black, three knobs, a humbucker and single coil... anyway, the problem is it sucks ass, she has to hold her fingers at the edge of the fret, basically about to do a harmonic on guitar just to get it to not go BUZZZZZZ and its not just her I try and am confused as shit.

Anyway, I was thinking of spending 2 to 3 hundred total and getting like a starter set, or a good beginner bass and amp. I just need a few things.

The Bass needs to be easy and not have that popping shit, she doesnt care about how many tone knobs there are, but just a good smooth four string. Rainbow sprinkles.

The Amp needs to have some distortion. My friends bass sounds like a little kid mumbling with cereal in his mouth (i dont know?) basically theres literally no distortion and she loves Crue, Tallica, etc so she wants to just have some distortion. Really, volume is not an issue shes not playing in a band, shell only play in her room or with me (unlikely for a while)

Hell if someone helps me out... um... youll get a ...golden star for the day instead of a sad cloud.
Last edited by AlmostFlawed at Oct 19, 2009,
Go for an Ibanez GSR200 (about $200), and either an Acoustic (the B10 is like $100), or a Peavey MAX. The Ibanez is a wonderfully comfortable, easy to play bass, and its versatile (P/J pickup combo). Starter packs are usually lower quality, and the amps they come with are, how should I put it . . . less then desirable? The Ibanez, or maybe a Squier Standard P or J bass (not affinity series) and a separate practice amp would probably be the best bet. When it comes to distortion, I dont think I've ever seen a practice amp with distortion, just an eq

EDIT: how bout that gold star?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
Go for an Ibanez GSR200 (about $200), and either an Acoustic (the B10 is like $100), or a Peavey MAX. The Ibanez is a wonderfully comfortable, easy to play bass, and its versatile (P/J pickup combo). Starter packs are usually lower quality, and the amps they come with are, how should I put it . . . less then desirable? The Ibanez, or maybe a Squier Standard P or J bass (not affinity series) and a separate practice amp would probably be the best bet. When it comes to distortion, I dont think I've ever seen a practice amp with distortion, just an eq

EDIT: how bout that gold star?

UM only if u can answer this better, its not realy distortion as much as it is gain since really its so poppy the one we have now, she wants to play motley crue more than anything, just some gain.... answer and u shall be awardsed
If your talking about a gain or drive knob like the one I'm looking at on my little Hondo amp, then your a bit out of luck. Most especially with the amps your looking at in your price range, you'll find mostly 2 or 3 band eqs, knobs for either treble and bass, or treble, mid, and bass. Bass is usually distorted via pedal, and the tone is eq'd. For example, my bass amp has a 4 band eq, a master volume, and a mid-scoop when it comes to controls. There isn't an overall gain or distortion knob

EDIT: its all a matter of playing with the eq until you find the tone you want
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Oct 19, 2009,
as Tostitos said, get her an Ibanez GSR200 and then try to find a used amp with at least 100w and preferably a 15" speaker. trying to get distortion out of a solid-state
amp by overdriving it (gain knob.. guitards) will only blow the speaker. don't worry about effects until she's comfortable with the bass in general.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Oct 20, 2009,
I had GSR200 and sold it. Honestly get a Crate starter pack, I've got the P-Bass copy pack and I still use it. If she wants distorion buy her a distortion pedal.
i am not sure how much the smaller peavy base amps cost but just about all of them have some distortion.and for a base i have a squire j-bass and i like the feel of the neck but the body is a little haeavy and hard to hit any fret past about 12.
Last edited by tycominime at Oct 20, 2009,
Man, this sounds crazy but I was at a few stores, picked up all the basses and amps. NONE anywhere equaled to the equipment found in the Ibanez Jumpstart Pack. Seriously, its PERFECT! ...Aside from the fact that my girlfriend was just looking at the new musicians friend the other day and said she doesnt care for bodies with the "stems", she likes rounded bodies like les pauls, sgs, etc. But I did not find one within the price range...
^ it's an excellent bass...! The amp won't be satisfactory for long, but it's "okay"

Used is a good option too, 'cause I find gsr200s going for less than 150 Canuck bucks all the time.
Craigslist and kijiji are pretty good. Not too much scamming in the musical instruments section compared to the other ones. coughdatingadscough. I can give you specific places if you're in the GTA, which I doubt :P