Page 1 of 2
I want to get good sounding chugs, or palm mutes, that sound really good. Only problem is I have a Peavey Classic 30. Obviously my first problem. Any pedal that I can use to achieve this effect?
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
an overdrive would be your best bet save for getting a different amp.
WTLTL 2011
A distortion pedal would do you well. Or maybe an EQ so you can tweak and boost.

What's the matter with the sound you have now? Hard to suggest anything if we don't really know what the problem is.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
A distortion pedal would do you well. Or maybe an EQ so you can tweak and boost.

What's the matter with the sound you have now? Hard to suggest anything if we don't really know what the problem is.

Theres nothing wrong with the amp and sound I have. I actually enjoy it. Its just not heavy enough, and I was wondering if anything can help me get it heavier. I know its a Classic 30, so Im not thinking Im gonna get metal amp tones. Just something that will help it get a little more heavier.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Distortion pedal or a Simulator Pedal
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Try an OD. The Classic 30 can get br00tz.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Don't flame me.
What I'm about to say is truth.

The guitar body makes the most difference in this.
My friend has a Wasburn X50, while I have an Epi G-400.

My guitar does not chug. It can not chug. Not on a JCM800, not on a 5150. It lacks the low end. No, it is NOT the pickups. It is the size of the body. It's super thin and does not have the deep sound of a thicker mohagony body like the X50 or a Les Paul. It's just not enough resonance. The Classic 30 is all the amp you will ever need, and I'd would have one if I had the money.

I just found the body thickness to make a world's difference for this type of thing.
^SG's cant chug?
Brent Hinds would like a word with you..
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
It can chug, it's just not the same though.

It doesn't get that low, brootal, death metal chug.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^SG's cant chug?
Brent Hinds would like a word with you..

Indeed he would. Might I suggest the new Mastodon tones thread?
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
given that the peavey classic 30 is a super midsey amp, I almost always scoop it, kind of...

bass 6
mids 3
treble 8

gain around 9... bridge pickup, humbuckers...

it works for me

edit: TS has a les paul, body heft is not an issue here...
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Last edited by Musicman48858 at Oct 19, 2009,
I could get that low, brootal death metal chug on an MIM Strat with a 'bucker and a decent gainy amp, eq'd for chugging.

It's all really about the amp and the pups. But mostly the amp. Can you get a chug out of a JMP? Yes, Mastodon does it all the time, with overdrives.

Is it the same as the chug from a Diezal VH-4? No. So it's really all about the type of chug you want.

The br00talz chug comes from the amp and pickups.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I vote for 3.

You can never boost it enough.
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
I vote for 3.

You can never boost it enough.

Or maybe he can OD the OD which is being OD'ed by another OD...

You can never have enough gain... even with 4 ODs.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 19, 2009,
I used to run two ODs when I had my Palo, and ran my RC-20 in the loop with the output maxed.

Sounded like pure sex, but only when it was loud. Which is part of why I sold it. I miss it though...
--

--
Try a distortion pedal running through the amp to a graphic eq. I don't use D pedals but I used to and believe me thats the way to go
Alot of this is down to technique too, mate. I've never had a problem getting that distinctive "chug" sound with my rig. You can even get it on an acoustic if you dig in a bit.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
You need an OD, or a decent distortion pedal, something like a Blackstar Dist-X or a Mesa V-Twin.
Quote by Crydius
Don't flame me.

My guitar does not chug. It can not chug. Not on a JCM800, not on a 5150. It lacks the low end. No, it is NOT the pickups. It is the size of the body. It's super thin and does not have the deep sound of a thicker mohagony body like the X50 or a Les Paul. It's just not enough resonance. The Classic 30 is all the amp you will ever need, and I'd would have one if I had the money.

I just found the body thickness to make a world's difference for this type of thing.

I'd say that its all about the strings and EQ.

Max out the bass, scoop the mids, throw some .12s on there or something.
Quote by Crydius
Don't flame me.

In other words:
I can't chug because I'm too much of a pussy to play the guitar - I don't have something called tone in my fingers (whatever that means!) so I have to make do with sniping on awesome classic guitar designs like the SG.

Go suck a lemon, retard!

TS, you need a distortion/OD pedal and maybe an EQ
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

NO. NO!

In essence. Maxing out the bass will give you a nice amount of mud, scooping isn't necessary. The .12's may be a good idea though.

TS, take your amp to a shop, or find a shop with your amp. Sit down with loads of OD pedals and just boost it until it does as it's told.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Quote by Crydius
Don't flame me.

You deserve to be flamed.

SGs are probably one of the heaviest toned guitars out there. And they aren't chambered like almost all LPs these days, so they are generally much denser in a way.

Doesn't the X50 have EMGs or SD JB? If so, it's definitely the pickups.
SG's can do metal. I've done it before.

What you need is an amp with good bass response, a good amount of gain (read as: something with gain around the level of a Mesa Mark III or IIC+/Marshall JCM900/whatever) and a nice high output bridge pickup (the Seymour Duncan Duncan Distortion is one I like).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by SimplyBen
NO. NO!

In essence. Maxing out the bass will give you a nice amount of mud, scooping isn't necessary. The .12's may be a good idea though.

TS, take your amp to a shop, or find a shop with your amp. Sit down with loads of OD pedals and just boost it until it does as it's told.

I always have it maxed out, I like the sound.
simply ben is right. just boost your amp and eq it until you get enough chunk. then if it is not the kind of chug you want, get a new amp.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Crydius
Don't flame me.

I have a 61 Reissue SG and it gets a way nicer chug on high gain amps than most guitars I've played, and that's with stock low output pickups.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

you don't really need extreme EQ, even though you do need a lot in the 350-700 hz range to get the grind. i agree with strings though, one time i was bored and i put 12-56's on my squier, it sounded so massive. and body thickness is definetely a factor, even if not the biggest, play on an ibanez S series, and then on a les paul, without an amp, and you'll be able to hear a difference. technique is definetely not something to forget about either, when you're trying to play metal you cant pussy out on rhythm parts, you gotta dig in
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by stratman_13
...I miss it though...

I knew you would! haha

TS, i'd just do what some others have already said. get yourself an overdrive and an EQ pedal and you can get that amp to sound heavy as hell.

also, turn it up a bit. i know that power tube clipping can loosen up an amp, but to a certain extent, i think it helps. tube amps just sing when you get those tubes cookin' a bit. ignore the bs about the SGs and Washburns or whatever.

hope that helps, and good luck
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by Crydius
Don't flame me.

I just found the body thickness to make a world's difference for this type of thing
Oh, I am so glad now that I know this, I am so glad that I do not have a Jackson Soloist.

Wait, what?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Epiphone/G-400.aspx

Mahagony neck glued into a mahagony body? Weird.

Not flaming, simply forcing truth upon you.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
There are several metal-oriented overdrive pedals that will do what you're looking for without completely destroying your "tube tone" so to speak:
Krank Krankshaft
Marshall Jackhammer(overdrive setting only)
Tech21 XXL original

Or you could go straight to a distortion pedal like a:
krank distortus maximus
Guyatone metal monster
Hardwire tl-2
Quote by Crydius
Don't flame me.

You sir, earned that fail stack through hard work and determination. Well done you!
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Quote by SwampAshSpecial
In other words:

Go suck a lemon, retard!

TS, you need a distortion/OD pedal and maybe an EQ

Take a chill pill, dude. No need to insult other users, especially since he wasn't even rude in his original post. Misinformed? Yes. Deserving of what you just said? No. Wood does influence sound, though. Darker wood such as mahogany might be perceived as giving a better chug than a bright wood such as alder.
If I can get chug out of my AC30 day in and day out, you can definitely do it with a Classic 30. Go to my profile....listen to the song Shipwrecks and A Saving Grace if you don't believe it. Especially the last 45 seconds of it. One of my bandmates has a Classic 50 and it has more than enough gain to play t3h br00ts. The biggest thing is how you have it EQ'd. Play with your EQ settings some...you can certainly coax those tones out. A decent OD definitely can help push it over the top too
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Okay well people are giving you some pretty bad information.

I actually own a Classic 30 and this is how I achieve my metal tones.

I use a maxon od-808 overdrive, as a boost to get the amp gain where it needs to be.

DO NOT USE THE BOOST ON THE AMP!!!

The boost button on the amp makes it sound bad for metal. It's good for like blues on the clean channel at low volumes, that's it. Even than I wouldn't recommend it, an OD works much better. This is the key to good tone on the C30, not using the boost button.

Use a guitar with humbuckers and your basically set.

I usually go about 6 on the bass, 4-5 on mids and 7-8 on treble, depends on the guitar of course.

My godin does metal on my classic 30 amazingly, it's got pretty high output p-ups as well.

Also, turn up the volume a bit on the post gain, and crank the pre-gain to 12.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Page 1 of 2