Hey there.

I am looking for an amp. A versatile amp. That does from blues to Nu/Heavy/Math/Whatever hi-gain metal. I was expecting to find a tube amp used, but there's not a lot here since I'm in Canada. I looked into a Peavey Classic 50, Mesa Maverick Dual Rectifier, Marshall JCM-900 combo... And after reading the reviews and everybody say they suck at hi-gain distortion, so they're pretty useless for metal. I start thinking about getting a Pod X3 Live and a decent SS amp.

Please, proove me I'm wrong...what tube amp could I get that fits my price and my needs?

Thanks
A used Line 6 HD 147. 300 watt modelling amp head (yeah i know it's not tube but it sounds incredible), very sparkly cleans, some good jazz/blues tones and lots of metal tones.
A Randall MTS amp is probably the most versatile amp out there, imo. I have one and can't say a bad thing about it; it is the best amp i have owned, and an amp i will have for a long time. It all depends on what preamp modules you get, and if you get any mods done to the stock ones. My 1087, Pete Turley's mod to the 1086 (Dan Donegan signature), it sounds amazing and perfect for any kind of heavy downtuned metal, the lower you tune and the heavier you play, the better it will sound.

There are so many preamp modules and mods, you can practically get any sound you want, and that isn't even considering different tubes, speakers, and effects.

As far as how close the modules are to the amps they aim to emulate, i can't tell you for certain, but what i can tell you is no matter what module you get, there is some way to make it sound better/closer to the amp it is emulating. Personally i think even if it isn't that close to the original, as long as it sounds good, who cares? As long as it sounds good, how close it is to the amp in question is trivial.

Anyway, i think you should look into the MTS series. Check ebay, CL, and the MTS forums for used ones. If you want any module/mod recommendations, feel free to PM me with a specific genre and/or bands of interest and i will try to find a good match.

Refer to this thread for more information about the MTS series:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1188551

Good Luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
used? if so you can get alot of stuff. the JCM should be fine actually. look 6505, mesa single rectifier idk lots of things.
Thanks all for your replies:

Crydius; I watched a Traynor YCV80Q for a long time, but then again the reviews stated that it's no good for metal, except sludge maybe. The head alone is too expensive;/

maowcat; can't find one used, but even if I did, at 800$ for the head only...it's real expensive for an emulation amp don't you think?

JKMV11; Yeah, I watched those too. There's one for sale near here for 700, without any module. I understand your point that it's very versatile since you can swap the modules and all. But it gets very expensive with it, like the same price as a used Orange:S
The traynor idea is pretty good since they're excellent modding platforms that cost anywhere from 200-450 $ for a very nice one. Since they're old the speaker is already broken-in for the good dynamics. The transformers are pretty good too plus the circuit is handwired.

The guitar mates (YGM) are 2 el84 powered so you can turn 'em into marshall 18w (plenty of gain still), a few of the models boast a tremolo circuit & even few got a reverb unit inside too. They're 12'' or 15'' combos I can't remember since last time I saw a bunch in a pawnshop. Mod the circuit and add inputs to have 2 bright and 2 low ins so you can jumper the channels.

The bassmaster mark I head (tagged YBA-1) are excellent 2 6ca7/el34 bassman circuit-alikes that can either be taken the bluesy fender way or the marshall plexi-way (which boasts plenty of gain for plenty of styles). Look elsewhere if you can't find the yba-1, yba-2 and laters aren't as nice for mods.

For other ideas you can usually find a nice (X) amp in the used market if you're not picky on the brandname of the front pannel. There'S a LOT of different models that you could get for the prices & uses you told us.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Last edited by Gäbe at Oct 19, 2009,
mesa mark series. Good for everything if you ahve an OD. expensive though.

I say a mesa dc. really versatile and good for any type of metal with an OD, not that it sports a lot of gain to begin with
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by maverick_137
used? if so you can get alot of stuff. the JCM should be fine actually. look 6505, mesa single rectifier idk lots of things.

Some say the jcm-900 is poor in the nu-metal zone, is it true? What else do you suggest just to give me ideas of what I could look at please?
Quote by patton686
JKMV11; Yeah, I watched those too. There's one for sale near here for 700, without any module. I understand your point that it's very versatile since you can swap the modules and all. But it gets very expensive with it, like the same price as a used Orange:S

Ya, i understand your point as well. But once you find the module/mod that fits you best, you don't really need to search any more unless you want to add more weapons to your arsenal. Also, modules have a pretty good resale value, esp. if you have it mod'd. You can sell a mod'd module for b/t $300-$350. So it can get a little expensive, but it all depends on what cards you are dealt and how you play the hand. I was lucky enough to get a RM80 combo with two modules for $600, as well as the 1087 i mentioned for $275. So it all depends on if you can find a good deal or not. I've seen several good deals on ebay, and countless ones on the MTS forum. If i find anything, i'll be sure to let you know.

Good Luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein