Well I have used the search button and nothing has helped me.

Over the course of my guitar playing i have always rested my hand on the bridge for stability. I found out this was anchoring and could handicap me, so I want to figure out how to "unanchor"

Do I rest my forarm on the guitar and have my entire hand floating above the bridge?
Can I put my palm on the face of the guitar or just my forarm?

idk can I just have some pointers? I think this could really help me.

I had a thread in the other section but that one was mainly about a problem with my thumb hitting the strings, i think i figured it out now and im starting a new one for the new subject, just in case anyone was gonna jump on me for making two threads XD
I am also curious about this. I anchor my pinky finger on the bottom of my bridge pickup for stability. But I read somewhere that resting the hand on the bridge reduces string noise, especially during sweeps?
My understanding is that you can rest it there for muting unwanted strings and it's not considered "anchoring". Tbh I don't see what the big deal is if you anchor or not. If it feels right, do it. It's not like you're being judged on form.
Yar, this isn't Olympic diving. Form counts for nothing. If you can play what you want and make it sound good then it doesn't really matter how you're doing it. Anyways, if your technique starts to hinder you then you'll most likely change without even thinking about it.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Anchoring can lead to carpal tunnel if your applying some force, t is quite an easy problem to fix you only have to raise you hand a few mm's it doesn't matter if you are just touching as long as you are not depended upon your hand resting on the bridge.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Read the stickes in the technique forum and if you still don't have the answers you want try posting in there.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You can put your hand on the bridge for stability, especially if you're using a Les Paul. Every Les Paul user I've seen does it. (Ok maybe not everyone but still). As long as you can play with or without your hand on the bridge, it's ok.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
i anchor pretty much all the time. fixed bridges or floating trems, i have to. it's a habit i know i should try to kick, but if it feels right and it doesn't hurt your playing then i say try not to worry. if it does hurt your playing then just practice practice.

but my thoughts on it are when i try NOT to anchor my playing sounds sloppy and pretty crappy. so i usually just let my hand rest there.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
I keep mine on the bridge unless I'm playing chords. I don't really care if its proper or any of that, I can play as fast as I need to. I'm not trying to be Rusty Cooley or anything, I just like playing music. Unless you have to play like him, I think you'll be fine.
There've been some huge fights about that on UG in the past... surmise to say the overall consensus is "ANCHORING BAD!"

While I don't necissarily condone it either, my belief is that you'll know when you're hindering yourself. If your wrist starts hurting or your range of motion is worse, etc.

Besides, JOHN PETRUCCI DOES IT! LOLOOLOLOLOL.

I just rest my arm on the top of the body, and usually have the right side of my palm on the strings, because I often palm mute even with clean stuff. But if I have to take my palm off as with chords and what not, it's nice having your arm there.

Good luck in finding your niche!
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
i dont play standing up very often, but when i do, i dont anchor with my hand, just my forearm unless im playing chords. when sitting down, i always anchor my forearm and my hand sits right behind the saddles just enough to where im not muting the strings. when playing chords my hand def comes off of the bridge

on edit: for the little bit of two handed tapping i do (nevermoer-"final product") i usually dont anchor my right hand (my picking hand). on the two really good youtube vids ive seen of guys doing that solo, they sort of grip the sides of the fretboard and tap with their middle finger. my hand free floats and i tap with my index but i can do it better that way.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Last edited by SYLrules88 at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by SYLrules88
i dont play standing up very often, but when i do, i dont anchor with my hand, just my forearm unless im playing chords. when sitting down, i always anchor my forearm and my hand sits right behind the saddles just enough to where im not muting the strings. when playing chords my hand def comes off of the bridge

on edit: for the little bit of two handed tapping i do (nevermoer-"final product") i usually dont anchor my right hand (my picking hand). on the two really good youtube vids ive seen of guys doing that solo, they sort of grip the sides of the fretboard and tap with their middle finger. my hand free floats and i tap with my index but i can do it better that way.

Here's Jeff doing that part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjdv54-GdLQ
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
So from videos I've watched on muting unwanted strings, your picking hand is further forward than a palm mute, correct?
talk to freepower on the techniques forum. he'll set you all strait
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been