http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT8sJn_GlHU

i absolutely love when he starts playing at around 2:07 through about 4:15. what artists come to mind when you hear this? also don't limit yourselves to just blues or jazz. i only posted it here cause it's hendrix playing and im not sure what other section to have this in.
Quote by ericwtlaws
Either in a completely different scale or he was just playing it freely.

yes it's improvised, what's your point...?
Jimi is the master of this kind of improv, I'm not sure you'll find anyone that can compare to what he does when he's at his best.

You could try Frank Zappa, he didn't do improv but he's the best comparison I can come up with.
Maybe Keller Williams? He's got a fast percussive style which is kind of similar to what jimi is doing there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAI3QgssxKA

That's all I can think of.
Quote by Jimmy94
You could try Frank Zappa, he didn't do improv but he's the best comparison I can come up with.

If you mean just Frank + Guitar, your wrong. He did that quite a lot with the early Mothers. If you mean Frank + Whole band improvising on guitar your wrong. That happened from his whole career. Any type of improvising you can bet Frank did it and he had his own variations on it. Sorry, I don't mean to attack you, but I'm the biggest Zappa Fanboy that it hurts my head whenever someone says something wrong about him.

I, on the other hand, don't know much about Frank besides the handful of albums I have by him. I remembered reading somewhere that Frank was big being very tight with his song structure. I know they would improvise the guitar solos, but they wouldn't improvise song structure the way Hendrix does in the clip the ts posted (as far as I know anyway).
Quote by Jimmy94
I, on the other hand, don't know much about Frank besides the handful of albums I have by him. I remembered reading somewhere that Frank was big being very tight with his song structure. I know they would improvise the guitar solos, but they wouldn't improvise song structure the way Hendrix does in the clip the ts posted (as far as I know anyway).

Right, like I said, I got a little out of hand, but anyways lets not hijack this thread.