Truth is, I've began writing a song (I'm a bassist myself planning on being vocalist too on a power trio I'm forming with a guitarist friend) and I have NO IDEA of how to write good lyrics. I don't know when they're supposed to rhyme or not, I don't know how to find a melody and/or rhythm that sound(s) good with the song and don't sound like me singing the exact melody that the instruments are playing, any tips?

What should I know about writing lyrics, about rhymes and when they should be used or not; also what should I do so what I sing sounds good and fits in the overall song, should I look for something in the instrumental parts of the song?

Please help me because, as you can see, I'm clearly lost, answers to this questions would be really appreciated as any lyric writing 101 info you could provide me.

Thanks in advance guys!

BTW, I don't know if it matters much but here's some info in case you need to know:
I play in a power trio, I'm a bassist vocalist, we're influenced by bands such as Metallica, Motörhead, Megadeth, Slayer, Mastodon, System of a Down and Black Sabbath.
Last edited by Silveroon009 at Oct 19, 2009,
Buy a Lyric-Builder,
to get a song with lyrics with a push of a button!

Come on dude, inspiration is all you need.
NRANNHLEILR
OETYSI LRNYS
TATOENYSGM
HLENEGMNRA
IL RENRAOET
NYSCOETTAT
GMAATATHLE

To me. Try, you know you want to^

Puberty
Quote by Will Swanson
I was surprised the first time I came. It shot two feet into the air. I couldn't stop laughing.
writing a song is like writing any thing else. if you keep singing a certain way then perhaps that's how you should sing. eventually that style of singing will become synanimous(that's spelled wrong) with your band.
As for the rhymes, most bands focus on putting the rhymes into the part of the song they want to be the catchy part...for most bands this is the chorus.
really though there is no proper way to write lyrics or a vocal melody. its personal preference.
music is the only protection from the woes of the world; a citadel it shall stand evermore
I'm not so sure dude, I've read several threads and articles and they all say that kind of stuff, or they talk about the actual themes of the song, I wanna know how to compose the structure of it... I'm going to make an example to see if I make myself clear.

I feel like a kid grabbing a guitar for the first time in his life, I'm sure that however inspired he may be the chances are REALLY low for him to be able to write a full song that sounds good. I don't think its just inspiraton, there's gotta be some theory behind it. Inspiration is a big part, I know, I just wanna know how to channel it.

EDIT: This post goes to the guy who said the thing about the "Lyric Builder".
Last edited by Silveroon009 at Oct 19, 2009,
It's really just something you practice and get a knack for. What I do is get the background music in my head and repeat it over and over and talk out a melody. I'll start with a line of words, and build from there. Build a meaning for the song and build other melodies around that. The words have to flow smooth, if something doesn't sound right, doesn't feel right, I cut it out and replace it with something else. Edit edit edit. It's something that should feel natural too. AND PAY ATTENTION TO ARTISTS THAT ARE KNOWN FOR WRITING GOOD LYRICS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Study them. Why their shit is good. How they make the words smooth (good lyrics are usually simple words, not trying too hard, they go through your mind smoothly and you enjoy singing them later without thinking too much about them). Do your best and practice writing, your first year or two of lyrics arent going to be as good as your 3rd or 4th, so be humble, never think your stuff is too good, EDIT EDIT EDIT, and rock on.

~Steve
Last edited by insurgentsteve at Oct 19, 2009,
Quote by Silveroon009
I'm not so sure dude, I've read several threads and articles and they all say that kind of stuff, or they talk about the actual themes of the song, I wanna know how to compose the structure of it... I'm going to make an example to see if I make myself clear.

I feel like a kid grabbing a guitar for the first time in his life, I'm sure that however inspired he may be the chances are REALLY low for him to be able to write a full song that sounds good. I don't think its just inspiraton, there's gotta be some theory behind it. Inspiration is a big part, I know, I just wanna know how to channel it.

Ok, the only basic thing I know about lyrics is that it has to Rhyme.
Also, most are in the structure of ABAB. A and B have to rhyme.
ABBA, AABB, BAAB, etc....
Inspiration is the key.
NRANNHLEILR
OETYSI LRNYS
TATOENYSGM
HLENEGMNRA
IL RENRAOET
NYSCOETTAT
GMAATATHLE

To me. Try, you know you want to^

Puberty
Quote by Will Swanson
I was surprised the first time I came. It shot two feet into the air. I couldn't stop laughing.
Quote by insurgentsteve
It's really just something you practice and get a knack for. What I do is get the background music in my head and repeat it over and over and talk out a melody. I'll start with a line of words, and build from there. Build a meaning for the song and build other melodies around that. The words have to flow smooth, if something doesn't sound right, doesn't feel right, I cut it out and replace it with something else. Edit edit edit. It's something that should feel natural too. AND PAY ATTENTION TO ARTISTS THAT ARE KNOWN FOR WRITING GOOD LYRICS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Study them. Why their shit is good. How they make the words smooth (good lyrics are usually simple words, not trying too hard, they go through your mind smoothly and you enjoy singing them later without thinking too much about them). Do your best and practice writing, your first year or two of lyrics arent going to be as good as your 3rd or 4th, so be humble, never think your stuff is too good, EDIT EDIT EDIT, and rock on.

~Steve

this
Study how your favorite bands write their lyrics. Don't steal their stuff but just learn from them. Maybe that will help, but I'm in the same boat as you.
Quote by Canseqo
Buy a Lyric-Builder,
to get a song with lyrics with a push of a button!

Come on dude, inspiration is all you need.

I'm pretty sure love is all you need >.<
When it comes to writing stuff its easiest to write about something you have a strong feeling for, thats why most of the stuff i write is quite political because i just (Usaully) write about issuses that bother me. From there its just finding ways to make what you're saying sound cool by just phasing it well and using more intresting language and metaphores and simillies.
It is definitly not easy to write lyrics except for a select few people. Its a tough process that comes and gos. Thats the hardest part really. Keeping the music in your head. At least for me. It'll come to you when you least expect it. Just write down random words and ideas, see if that kick starts it.
Quote by skaterskagg1
Gotta have more shaft!

Don't sig that!

Just because you said not too!