Ive searched a lot on the interwebz but still cant see to find the info im looking for.

i have a guitar that i just bought and it sounds great, but im looking to add a little extra something to the rhythm pickup. for the neck pickup and bridge i have seymor duncan 59's but i want to take out one of them and add an EMG for rhythm, becaus of the heavy tone it gives, and im not sure what kind i would need, or maybe if i should just change the kind of seymor duncan im using.

can someone possibly help me out. thanks in advance. btw i really dont know all that much about pick ups so if you could elaborate a bit as to why the combo works or what i could do.

o and also i know this all depends on my style of play but i dont really have one yet, i do like to tap A LOT and i lean more towards metal when i play. i hope that helps
If you want to mix actives and passives, you're going to need a fair bit of extra wiring, such as separate volume and tone controls for each pickup. Oh, and the middle position would be practically useless.

The reason is that actives and pickups use different pot values (ex. passive 'buckers usually use 500k pots, while actives use 25k). If you tried using passive pot values, you wouldn't get a good sound with the EMG's, and your volume control would act as an on/off switch.

Have you taken a look at some passives for that "extra something" in the bridge? Also, what sound are you looking for, exactly?
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
You don't need an active in the bridge.

Get a DiMarzio Crunch Lab or Super Distortion in the bridge.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by WinterSteel
If you want to mix actives and passives, you're going to need a fair bit of extra wiring, such as separate volume and tone controls for each pickup. Oh, and the middle position would be practically useless.

The reason is that actives and pickups use different pot values (ex. passive 'buckers usually use 500k pots, while actives use 25k). If you tried using passive pot values, you wouldn't get a good sound with the EMG's, and your volume control would act as an on/off switch.

Have you taken a look at some passives for that "extra something" in the bridge? Also, what sound are you looking for, exactly?

Not really but it depends on the guitar and what controls he wants.
Exactly right.
The active will over power the passive when the switch is in the middle position. So you won't be able to hear the passive.

Again exactly right.

It's easier to go all active or all passive but it is possible to mix them. I have an EMG 81 and the stock neck pickup in my Epiphone Korina Explorer. I'd recommend that you check out some other passives first. If none of them suit you then check out active pickups.
^Ah, thanks for clarifying! I wasn't sure on how the sound would be in the middle position, so I'll admit that I just guessed.
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
wow that was a crazy fast response.

thanks yah i new about the active and passive thing being kind of a pain, but i thought about getting passive EMG's but i just read a few threads ago hat they arent that great. i was looking at diMarzio's but from video reviews i just dont see them giving me what im looking for and i dont have that kind of money to be switching my pickups like crazy to tone chase all the time nor do i HAVE time to do so.

but id just like something with a real heavy undertone for my rhythm pickup. and whats up with this frequency thing i hear about i dont really understand that either.
1 - You don't HAVE to use low resistance pots with EMGs.
You can use low resistance pots and this will further reduce the hum and noise.

2 - You CAN use an EMG successfully with the same high resistance pots as your passive.
It will still sound as it should.

3 - The two pickups will both sound "normal" when selected separately.

4 - The low impedance of the EMG preamp will cause its contribution to dominate when the both active and passive are selected at the same time. So "both" position of the selector will sound pretty much the same as the active alone.

5 - I may have a solution to (4) in the future. Still waiting for a candidate to work with on my thread.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
well i dont really use my middle switch at all so that doesnt matter. im just worried about the volume difference. idk though moneys still an issue for me and pickups are expensive no matter what.

and i dont necessarily need to mix active and passive i just thought it would be a cool idea.
srry for double post.

maybe i should even try a single coil with my duncan, because of the more trebley sound. OR even maybe have my duncan a single and then for the third have a diff HUM. possibly an EMG but idk. i just have to buy a whole bunch and mess with stuff i guess. but thank you everyone and if anyone else has suggestions they are very appriciated
Quote by pushcarich
maybe i should even try a single coil with my duncan, because of the more trebley sound.
wait ... what? I thought you were after something with some meat for the rhythm settings?

Anyway, if you're shifting gears away from the idea of an active at the neck, maybe a SD Jazz. Smooth, solid bottom, clean mids. Want more treble? Wire it to a s/p switch. Now you have a bright sounding option at the neck and it still hum-cancels.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
no i still want the meat and potatoes feel of the rhythm. what i meant with the single coil is have a neck hum a bridge hum and then a single coil mid. all brought together with a five-way switch but that in turn would mean no active pickup which i would be fine with like i said i dont have to have an EMG i just need something with heavy tone for a rhythm and treble for soloing and lead. and i think that coil could help with the soloing. i mean ive seen a H/S/H befor but ive never heard one so idk if thatd be a bad idea.

by the time im done my guitar might be swiss cheese from these holes
can someone post a diagram consisting of a 2 passives and a active using a 500k pot and a 25k pot...a 5 way switch
Quote by chris42773
can someone post a diagram consisting of a 2 passives and a active using a 500k pot and a 25k pot...a 5 way switch
No.

I directed you to the right place on your own thread:
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
There's a thread stickied to the top of this forum called The GB&C Central Hub.
Look through it before making a thread of your own in this forum. There are links to major threads, many of which have a lot of information that will be helpful to you.

Sometimes you'll take a link and find all your questions answered in one of the first several posts of one of the threads. If so, you got answers and didn't even need to wait for a reply! Other times, you'll learn enough by reading to ask better questions and the quality of replies you get will be higher.

There are times when one of those major threads doesn't serve your needs and you'll have to make your own thread. But the Central Hub should be your first stop.

Good luck.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23248762&postcount=3

Post in the right place, and we'll be more inclined to help you.
Go to the GB&C Central Hub.
Click the link for either the Guitar Wiring thread OR the Active Pickup thread.
Post in either of those threads. (but not both)
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411