Hi all,

I'm having some concerns about my theory knowledge. When I go to play scales, I don't really know the different positions internally, but I can feel my way around and use my ear to be able to tell what is in key and what is out of key. I also know what the notes are in a given scale in my head, but I struggle to be able to find them on the fretboard if I am just thinking in note names. I feel like if I really took the time to learn the notes on the fretboard I would be infinitely better at improvising.

Should I spend the time to understand all the notes on the fretboard, or would I be better off just developing my ear?
Develop your ear first. Think in terms of note function and sound. Note names can come later.

Would you rather be a theory wizard that can't play by ear? I wouldn't.
so what would be some good methods for developing the "notational sense" so to speak?

I assume that developing the ear is by using sites like good-ear.com right?
Quote by bubbamc119
Develop your ear first. Think in terms of note function and sound. Note names can come later.

Would you rather be a theory wizard that can't play by ear? I wouldn't.

Yet another sadly misinformed guitar player that thinks theory somehow makes a player worse.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

Quote by njm0830
so what would be some good methods for developing the "notational sense" so to speak?

I assume that developing the ear is by using sites like good-ear.com right?

Develop your sense of notation by getting experience reading notation.

Train your ear by listening to and learning music.

This all takes time.

or if you're not into putting in the time you could just go to getawesomeatguitarnow.com and your all set.
shred is gaudy music
To the OP - Here' the functional pitch recognition method that I, and many others use, and it's proven to work: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1214857

Most of what you need to know is in that thread. The rest of what you need to know is in a book called "A Fanatic's guide to ear training and sight singing" by Bruce Arnold. Look it up on amazon.

Quote by 3holepunch
Yet another sadly misinformed guitar player that thinks theory somehow makes a player worse.

Nowhere did I say that knowing theory will make you a worse player.

Being able to hear something and play it back immediately, or play what you hear in your head is FAR more important than learning theory.

That's a fact.

What use is an encyclopedic knowledge of theory if you can't hear properly?

Theory is helpful, and should be learned AFTER or in CONJUNCTION with ear training, not before.