What is the actual wood that the guitar is made of?

According to the Dean website, it's mahogany. According to Musician's Friend, Guitar Center and Sam Ash it's basswood.

Can someone clarify?

Thanks
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Odd? I think the site is right, no?
anyways that guitar looks great
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
Quote by Fives
Odd? I think the site is right, no?
anyways that guitar looks great

Yeah. It actually plays incredible. I had the opportunity to try one at my local guitar center the other day and damn, that thing has tone. I was able to somehow actually get a pretty decent tone from a Line 6 with one of these (with some intense tweaking). I plugged it into a cranked JVM and it blew my world to pieces. It should cost more than $300 I think.

Yeah, but I wanna see if anyone definitely knows the answer. Thanks for the help.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage
Yeah. It actually plays incredible. I had the opportunity to try one at my local guitar center the other day and damn, that thing has tone. I was able to somehow actually get a pretty decent tone from a Line 6 with one of these (with some intense tweaking). I plugged it into a cranked JVM and it blew my world to pieces. It should cost more than $300 I think.

Yeah, but I wanna see if anyone definitely knows the answer. Thanks for the help.

Really? That most be the best deal right now then. lol Great Finish, and great tone and playability. Cant get better than that
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
Quote by Junnage
What is the actual wood that the guitar is made of?

According to the Dean website, it's mahogany. According to Musician's Friend, Guitar Center and Sam Ash it's basswood.

Can someone clarify?

Thanks

Hmmm... who to trust... sellers or the actual company that makes the instrument... I just don't know...

R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It seems to me that at $300 dollars, it's most likely basswood.

Not that that's a bad thing... People like Music Man and Ibanez find a way to charge thousands of bucks for basswood.

Edit:
Not sure about Sam Ask, but MF is owned by Guitar Center. So... I dunno if that makes a difference, but it makes sense that they both say basswood.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Last edited by JAustinMunn at Oct 19, 2009,
Quote by JAustinMunn

Not that that's a bad thing... People like Music Man and Ibanez find a way to charge thousands of bucks for basswood.

Edit:
Not sure about Sam Ask, but MF is owned by Guitar Center. So... I dunno if that makes a difference, but it makes sense that they both say basswood.
I was told by a sales rep that it's "high quality" basswood.

I don't know if it's BS or not though.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Hmmm... who to trust... sellers or the actual company that makes the instrument... I just don't know...

This implies it's mahogany

Quote by JAustinMunn

Edit:

You're telling me it's basswood.

So can someone please clarify completely.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
I was told by a sales rep that it's "high quality" basswood.

I don't know if it's BS or not though.

Yeah, there's a big difference between low and high quality basswood
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Well, the fact is that Basswood is commonly used in cheaper guitars. So, most likely it's basswood. I've never seen another type of wood (save alder in MIM strats) in cheaper guitars, but even MIM strats aren't that cheap.

My money's on basswood, but there's no telling. Then again, I've never seen mahogony so cheap.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Last edited by JAustinMunn at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by JAustinMunn
Well, the fact is that Basswood is commonly used in cheaper guitars. So, most likely it's basswood. I've never seen another type of wood (save alder in MIM strats) in cheaper guitars, but even MIM strats aren't that cheap.

My money's on basswood, but there's no telling. Then again, I've never seen mahogony so cheap.

On the other hand the website of the actual company that makes it says mahogany... I know who I'd trust more than the other but hey, who am I?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
If your talking about the low end one my buddy has one and theres noooo way it's mahogany.I'ts way too light, and to tell you the truth it played pretty crap go for an ibanez or something.
There is a low end and high end version.

Basswood is the low end one and the high end one is mahogany.
It seems the highend/lowend version arguments are right in this case.
But usually the source would be more reliable, I know some guitar selling sites that just throw the details or picture for a completely different model on the site.
Quote by JAustinMunn

I played a Peavey Rotor the other day, which is made of mahogany, and it's a $300 guitar. It may be mahogany.
Quote by Alex Vik
I played a Peavey Rotor the other day, which is made of mahogany, and it's a $300 guitar. It may be mahogany.

But Peavey specializes in making "poor man's" products. Dean does not.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
On the other hand the website of the actual company that makes it says mahogany... I know who I'd trust more than the other but hey, who am I?

Because the people who make websites are perfect. They know everything about the product too, because they're that versitile and are hired for other things besides making the website.

Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by Punk_Ninja
It seems the highend/lowend version arguments are right in this case.
But usually the source would be more reliable, I know some guitar selling sites that just throw the details or picture for a completely different model on the site.

So there's two versions of the same guitar with the same exact name?

That's not confusing...

and so how would you buy one of the higher end ones?
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage

and so how would you buy one of the higher end ones?

Just buy one. If I recall, they run at $1099 from MF. But I'd much rather have the basswood anyway. Not only is it light, but it's not as if it's a bad tonewood.

Joe Satriani has a basswood guitar, and John Petrucci's older MM sig did too. My Ibanez GiO has basswood too, and with its pickup change, it sounds really good. Plus, it's lighter! I don't know if I necissarily believe the "good quality/bad quality" basswood idea.

The biggest thing though;

If you like the way it plays and you think it sounds good and feels good, just buy it!
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Last edited by JAustinMunn at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by JAustinMunn
Just buy one. If I recall, they run at $1099 from MF. But I'd much rather have the basswood anyway. Not only is it light, but it's not as if it's a bad tonewood.

Joe Satriani has a basswood guitar, and John Petrucci's older MM sig did too. My Ibanez GiO has basswood too, and with its pickup change, it sounds really good. Plus, it's lighter! I don't know if I necissarily believe the "good quality/bad quality" basswood idea.

The biggest thing though;

If you like the way it plays and you think it sounds good and feels good, just buy it!

I don't see it on MF. I only see the VMNTX one (which is what the Mahogany one is also called apparently)
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
I always thought there was two of these.

One was plain with one flat color, made of basswood.

And the other one had a horrid finish and was made of mahogany, with livewire's... which cost like $1,200.
These are the VMNT Standard specs
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Dave-Mustaine-VMNT-Signature-Electric-Guitar?sku=514043

These are VMNTX Specs
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Dave-Mustaine-V-VMNTX-Signature-Electric-Guitar?sku=515169
Available in Classic black or Metallic Silver
Bolt on 24 fret maple neck with rosewood fretboard
Dual Dean design black open humbuckers
Black hardware
Mini Grover 6 in line tuners
Mustaine neck profile
Last edited by Chaosinborn at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by Chaosinborn
These are the VMNT Standard specs
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Dave-Mustaine-VMNT-Signature-Electric-Guitar?sku=514043

These are VMNTX Specs
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Dave-Mustaine-V-VMNTX-Signature-Electric-Guitar?sku=515169
Available in Classic black or Metallic Silver
Bolt on 24 fret maple neck with rosewood fretboard
Dual Dean design black open humbuckers
Black hardware
Mini Grover 6 in line tuners
Mustaine neck profile

I'm not talking about the VMNT vs. the VMNTX. I'm talking specifically about the VMNTX United Abominations model.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by Chaosinborn

I'm not comparing the VMNTX to the VMNTX United Abominations either.

Apparently there are two VMNTX United Abominations models from other posts.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6